HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1421  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 4:11 PM
skyscraperpage17 skyscraperpage17 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,016
While some are so focused on the negative possibilities wth Amazon, the below article really gets at a strong point, that point being while Amazon may only be projecting 50K jobs within 10-20 yeara, given the rate it's growing, it's also just as possible that Amazon could exceed (even significantly) their 50K jobs projection in a much shorter time frame...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busines...azons-possible-move-to-their-city-2018-8

"When Amazon relocated its headquarters to Seattle's South Lake Union in 2010, the company was far from the behemoth it is today. City planners estimated that the company's 1.6 million square feet of office space would bring around 6,000 new employees to the area - a number that has since risen to around 45,000."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1422  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 6:46 PM
N90 N90 is offline
Voice of the Modern World
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Yes and almost as close as you can get to the source. With that said, the announcement September 10th may be a shortened list or the final pick.
One year of speculation can end tomorrow
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1423  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 12:36 AM
jayden jayden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: JERSEY
Posts: 1,600
Let's just get that official announcement please.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1424  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 5:56 PM
atlwarrior atlwarrior is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
One year of speculation can end tomorrow
LMBO! Nothing but crickets and silence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1425  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 8:50 PM
MARTAisSmarta MARTAisSmarta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 263
Amazon joins the D.C. Chamber of Commerce

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/09/10/amazon-joins-the-d-c-chamber.html

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. has joined the D.C. Chamber of Commerce, a move that further cements the company's presence in a region that is on the short list for the online retail and web services giant's second headquarters.

Vincent Orange, the chamber's president and CEO, told me that Amazon was invoiced in late August for $2,285, the membership cost for companies with between 101 to 200 employees in the District.

"Amazon certainly is a major, major catch for us," Orange said. "To be able to have them as part of our membership is just great. As a member, clearly we would anticipate them being part of the government affairs committee."
Ah, yes. The news we were all waiting for today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1426  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 9:47 PM
skyscraperpage17 skyscraperpage17 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,016
In all fairness, I think it was said that some type of update would be during the week of 9/10, not necessarily on 9/10
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1427  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 10:27 PM
montydawg montydawg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
In all fairness, I think it was said that some type of update would be during the week of 9/10, not necessarily on 9/10
The vote on the incentives package for CIM will be held on 17 September. I would think that some of Amazon’s incentives are ‘juiced in’ to the CIM incentive package, probably because the city cannot directly deal with Amazon publicly because of the non disclosure agreements. I bet many of those incentives will flow to amazon through a third party, and the developer is the perfect conduit for it. I would think amazon has a deal with CIM to provide them reduced rent in exchange for attracting the huge incentive package. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1428  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:07 AM
N90 N90 is offline
Voice of the Modern World
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
In all fairness, I think it was said that some type of update would be during the week of 9/10, not necessarily on 9/10
New timeline

By 11:59 PM eastern Sunday Sept. 16
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1429  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:13 AM
AlwaysMoving AlwaysMoving is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
The vote on the incentives package for CIM will be held on 17 September. I would think that some of Amazon’s incentives are ‘juiced in’ to the CIM incentive package, probably because the city cannot directly deal with Amazon publicly because of the non disclosure agreements. I bet many of those incentives will flow to amazon through a third party, and the developer is the perfect conduit for it. I would think amazon has a deal with CIM to provide them reduced rent in exchange for attracting the huge incentive package. I could be wrong.
If Amazon has a deal with CIM for the Gulch, why don't they just announce Atlanta is the home of HQ2?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1430  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:21 AM
ThrashATL's Avatar
ThrashATL ThrashATL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysMoving View Post
If Amazon has a deal with CIM for the Gulch, why don't they just announce Atlanta is the home of HQ2?
You know why.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1431  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:33 AM
Username123 Username123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 257
Are there any examples of situations similar to what is going on with CIM/The Gulch in other cities on Amazon’s list? I know some particular development sites have been suggested, but are developers going through similar motions, buying land, and working towards incentives in any of the other locations as if HQ2 is going to be there? I am sure large projects similar to the Gulch are happening elsewhere, I am just curious if it’s happening in a similar way for any other specific development site that Amazon has expressed interest in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1432  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 2:45 AM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Are there any examples of situations similar to what is going on with CIM/The Gulch in other cities on Amazon’s list? I know some particular development sites have been suggested, but are developers going through similar motions, buying land, and working towards incentives in any of the other locations as if HQ2 is going to be there? I am sure large projects similar to the Gulch are happening elsewhere, I am just curious if it’s happening in a similar way for any other specific development site that Amazon has expressed interest in.
Chicago has a few HQ2 sites with tenants and moving forward (I believe this is the case for both Lincoln yards and the old post office)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1433  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:36 AM
Ant131531 Ant131531 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,984
People are putting too much faith in Atlanta3000. It's simply arrogant to assume Atlanta has already won this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1434  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 11:00 AM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People are putting too much faith in Atlanta3000. It's simply arrogant to assume Atlanta has already won this.
You are right Ant131531, for once - j/k. Nobody should put their faith in me (worship/absolutely - faith/not so much). Everyone should put their faith in the data/information. Asked yourself what data points best illustrates where Amazon is targeting their HQ2?

* Amazon spending $2,400 to join the Washington Chamber of Commerce

OR

* The Mayor of Atlanta and the Governor negotiating multi-Billion dollar incentives with CIM Group and are planned to get the City Council Monday to sign off on the final incentive package. Lastly and more importantly, Governor Deal already has the Best and Final Offer (BAFO) for the State's incentive package for HQ2. Therefore, no special Legislative session is needed.

Connect the Dots!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1435  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 11:28 AM
wonshirim wonshirim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
You are right Ant131531, for once - j/k. Nobody should put their faith in me (worship/absolutely - faith/not so much). Everyone should put their faith in the data/information. Asked yourself what data points best illustrates where Amazon is targeting their HQ2?

* Amazon spending $2,400 to join the Washington Chamber of Commerce

OR

* The Mayor of Atlanta and the Governor negotiating multi-Billion dollar incentives with CIM Group and are planned to get the City Council Monday to sign off on the final incentive package. Lastly and more importantly, Governor Deal already has the Best and Final Offer (BAFO) for the State's incentive package for HQ2. Therefore, no special Legislative session is needed.

Connect the Dots!!!!
I agree that Atlanta's made it to the Super Bowl. But remember we can always slip in the last minute.

Amazon could be using Atlanta's incentive package to force NoVa/DC to up their deal. If you hear about people who have worked with Amazon, their testimonies show the Amazon way of slowly dragging deals from acquisitions to procurement.

Though I haven't worked with Amazon myself, my colleagues and friends from my time in Silicon Valley tell me negotiations with Amazon are very slow and grueling because they have always used their size and scale to consistently force bidders to beat the last party standing.

Considering the enormity of the HQ2 project, I wouldn't draw conclusions so early. What we know is our state and city have prepared a competitive deal package, and ATL3000 seems to have identified clues of possible relocation logistics if they choose Atlanta.

Unless Amazon has chosen the DC area from the get go and started this charade to have cities fight for incentives, we'll have a good chance. But has Jeff Bezos even visited Atlanta during this period?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1436  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:13 PM
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshirim View Post
I agree that Atlanta's made it to the Super Bowl. But remember we can always slip in the last minute.

Amazon could be using Atlanta's incentive package to force NoVa/DC to up their deal. If you hear about people who have worked with Amazon, their testimonies show the Amazon way of slowly dragging deals from acquisitions to procurement.

Though I haven't worked with Amazon myself, my colleagues and friends from my time in Silicon Valley tell me negotiations with Amazon are very slow and grueling because they have always used their size and scale to consistently force bidders to beat the last party standing.

Considering the enormity of the HQ2 project, I wouldn't draw conclusions so early. What we know is our state and city have prepared a competitive deal package, and ATL3000 seems to have identified clues of possible relocation logistics if they choose Atlanta.

Unless Amazon has chosen the DC area from the get go and started this charade to have cities fight for incentives, we'll have a good chance. But has Jeff Bezos even visited Atlanta during this period?
The number 1 rule of negotiations is when you are asked from your prospect to give your BAFO (Best and Final Offer), you get commitment from your prospect the deal is no longer competitive, but financial.

Again, note what is happening right now in Atlanta/GA. Do you see this occurring in any other of the 19 finalists? No.

Connect the dots....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1437  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:25 PM
wonshirim wonshirim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
The number 1 rule of negotiations is when you are asked from your prospect to give your BAFO (Best and Final Offer), you get commitment from your prospect the deal is no longer competitive, but financial.

Again, note what is happening right now in Atlanta/GA. Do you see this occurring in any other of the 19 finalists? No.

Connect the dots....
You know I agree with you and I see where you're going with this. But just because other cities' bids or whereabouts are undisclosed publicly doesn't seem to mean Atlanta is the only candidate standing.

How can you be sure that the Sept 17 package is our BAFO? I heard last month Maryland Governor Hogan mention Montgomery County upping their deal (but without details). I still see at least two, possibly three cities in the final spurt and I'm skeptical the lack of publicly available updates on other cities is sufficient to conclude that our most recent package is our final offer--and more importantly--the only final offer Amazon is working with.

Either way, I guess CIM Group is a real winner. Kudos to them for pulling this off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1438  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:33 PM
AlwaysMoving AlwaysMoving is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Are there any examples of situations similar to what is going on with CIM/The Gulch in other cities on Amazon’s list? I know some particular development sites have been suggested, but are developers going through similar motions, buying land, and working towards incentives in any of the other locations as if HQ2 is going to be there? I am sure large projects similar to the Gulch are happening elsewhere, I am just curious if it’s happening in a similar way for any other specific development site that Amazon has expressed interest in.
I have heard grumblings from Developers in other cities about being tired of waiting for Amazon. They want to develop something on their site, but are stuck waiting. It sounds like nobody in the industry has heard a peep from Amazon.

There seems to be a lot more conversations about HQ2 in Atlanta, but it's been that way since they announced the finalists. Feels like the people and politicians in Atlanta want HQ2 the most.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1439  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:51 PM
skyscraperpage17 skyscraperpage17 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshirim View Post
You know I agree with you and I see where you're going with this. But just because other cities' bids or whereabouts are undisclosed publicly doesn't seem to mean Atlanta is the only candidate standing.

How can you be sure that the Sept 17 package is our BAFO? I heard last month Maryland Governor Hogan mention Montgomery County upping their deal (but without details). I still see at least two, possibly three cities in the final spurt and I'm skeptical the lack of publicly available updates on other cities is sufficient to conclude that our most recent package is our final offer--and more importantly--the only final offer Amazon is working with.

Either way, I guess CIM Group is a real winner. Kudos to them for pulling this off.
Well said. 100% agreed on alll points.

It's really all a matter of just keeping expectations in check. Data points can be misleading too, and my fear is that some people have convinced themselves that their city is the chosen one to the point that the backlash when they're not selected is going to be extreme.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Sep 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1440  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:56 PM
jct3 jct3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Asked yourself what data points best illustrates where Amazon is targeting their HQ2?
But you have said you knew that Amazon had signed a LOI for a lease in the AT&T building. If you know that, you don't need any other data points. A million SF is a huge amount of space.

I still think it's going to be DC, but I hold out hope.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.