Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
you can't replace all the residents in a neighborhood and call it neighborhood improvement. if the community is gone, the neighborhood is gone— and with it all the quirkiness and diversity and creativity that made people want to move there in the first place.
|
Whether a 21 story building or the house is just renovated to match the market conditions for the area, these people will be displaced regardless unless the government comes in and introduces regulation to stop the market pressures in this area. This is an extremely desirable area. I think the displacement argument should not be used as an argument against density as market forces, not density, are the reason for displacement. I am familiar with this house (in my neighborhood) and it is not in a very good condition, and I think some sore of improvement to this property is inevitable regardless.
As for the density, this is a future transit served area with office and other uses. They should build density in this area and we need to stop crying anytime a single family house is proposed to be torn town.
I also laughed at the suburban soccer mom who lives in that new (10 year old) house on her crusade to stop the neighborhood from developing. I have owned property in the neighborhood for 15 years and I think the changes happening are great. I kinda feel like there needs to be a counter protest!