HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:38 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is offline
Source?
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Ok, you are good at deflecting away from the main issues that opponents of the CMHR had. And it looks like you spent considerable time doing so. Well done.

Getting back on topic, what is the actual status in regards to the City of Winnipeg opening Portage and Main? 2016 has come and gone, with the intersection still closed off to pedestrians.
That the response you go with? really? Ask me to prove my point and then call it deflecting? Wow you're as embarrassing as your points of view eh. I'm embarrassed for you...

And don't worry about me fam, as I said, it didn't take me long AT ALL to find that information - a very VERY quick scan for your name is all I needed to do in my search for pathetic people voicing laughable opinions.

It's nice to see how far you've come since then tho! Your way of having a discussion is more Fox news like now

Ask someone to prove their point
*they prove their point*
claim that their efforts were worthless and they're wasting time - rapidly change topic away from their embarrassment.

Last edited by Wigglez; Jun 11, 2018 at 9:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:42 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is offline
Source?
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
He just gave you all the proof, including your own biases, and you're saying he is deflecting? I think you're being elitist.
That's just the kinda guy he is - and the kind of people that represent the anti-development/anti-Winnipeg movement.

The moment hes embarrassed he tries to blame and change the topic. It's so much easier to cut and run than actually try to explain himself eh?

- Claims I'm revising history by saying people discussed alternative uses to the museum once it "fails"

* I show HIM doing that very thing - because hes got a touch of the Dementia and/or Alzheimer's and forgets things he says.

- Claims I'm deflecting and tries to change the subject himself

I'm embarrassed for him... hes embarrassing himself at this point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:16 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is offline
Source?
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Can't decide if someone is delusional or just plain dumb in thinking opening P&M will somehow regenerate downtown. The vocal majority who support the opening in this forum are the minority when it comes to public opinion on re-opening P&M to ped. traffic.

How many studies did the city commision that all told them "opening" was a bad idea and made no sense?
I'm still waiting for the CMHR to fail and close. I'm still waiting for Bell MTS Place to not spark any other developments around it. Shal I add "still waiting for P&M to be a bad idea" to the list? or perhaps "still waiting for a recent city commissioned study saying it made no sense"?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:20 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I'm still waiting for the CMHR to fail and close. I'm still waiting for Bell MTS Place to not spark any other developments around it. Shal I add "still waiting for P&M to be a bad idea" to the list? or perhaps "still waiting for a recent city commissioned study saying it made no sense"?
You forgot how wasteful and ugly Esplanade Riel is...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:26 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
How many studies did the city commision that all told them "opening" was a bad idea and made no sense?
ummm....zero?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:45 PM
scryer scryer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,964


Pretty please?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:28 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I'm still waiting for the CMHR to fail and close. I'm still waiting for Bell MTS Place to not spark any other developments around it. Shal I add "still waiting for P&M to be a bad idea" to the list? or perhaps "still waiting for a recent city commissioned study saying it made no sense"?
Don't get how I'm getting lumped in with the "save Eatons" crowd or no to Bell MTS or down with Esplanade Riel! Please explain how the Bell MTS Centre which is a great success is anything remotely related to opening P&M in rejuvenating Winnipeg's downtown....

Sure the public money could have been better spent than on a one time visit museum but I'm veering off topic....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:45 AM
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
That's just the kinda guy he is - and the kind of people that represent the anti-development/anti-Winnipeg movement.
You know for a fact, that I am the President of the Anti-Development/Anti-Winnipeg Movement. Address me as such next time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:33 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't get how I'm getting lumped in with the "save Eatons" crowd or no to Bell MTS or down with Esplanade Riel! Please explain how the Bell MTS Centre which is a great success is anything remotely related to opening P&M in rejuvenating Winnipeg's downtown....

Sure the public money could have been better spent than on a one time visit museum but I'm veering off topic....
The common denominator is an inability to cope with change and a compulsion to defend the status quo at all costs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:24 PM
dennis dennis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,336
Opening portage and main to pedestrian will not be the be all and end all to rejuvenating downtown. Like the arena or the other developments we are seeing it will be another small piece to the larger puzzle. I just don’t see a reason as to keeping it closed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:56 PM
Jammon's Avatar
Jammon Jammon is offline
jammon member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Opening portage and main to pedestrian will not be the be all and end all to rejuvenating downtown. Like the arena or the other developments we are seeing it will be another small piece to the larger puzzle. I just don’t see a reason as to keeping it closed.
I'm not entirely convinced reopening it will do anything other than potentially hurt the businesses in Winnipeg square during the summer months. With that being said, having people walking around isn't necessarily a bad thing- but I would like to see a study on traffic patterns and whether it actually affects traffic if they do reopen it. If they were to turn it into a tourism attraction, like a bridge/overpass where you could walk over the intersection, I would be much more in favour of that. But I agree- this isn't going to do a thing for downtown revitalization whatsoever. It will contribute very little if anything at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:00 PM
rkspec rkspec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 774
I just cant see if i am a regular at booster juice for example, i will suddenly stop going down to booster juice cause P&M is now opened lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:09 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I'm not entirely convinced reopening it will do anything other than potentially hurt the businesses in Winnipeg square during the summer months. With that being said, having people walking around isn't necessarily a bad thing- but I would like to see a study on traffic patterns and whether it actually affects traffic if they do reopen it. If they were to turn it into a tourism attraction, like a bridge/overpass where you could walk over the intersection, I would be much more in favour of that. But I agree- this isn't going to do a thing for downtown revitalization whatsoever. It will contribute very little if anything at all.
The traffic study has been posted here numerous times. It pointed out there would be zero impact on the two busiest routes through the intersection (accounting for over 50% of traffic) – through traffic on NB and SB Main. Said there would be impact on turning traffic, which makes up the smallest percentage of cars, and it would be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
I just cant see if i am a regular at booster juice for example, i will suddenly stop going down to booster juice cause P&M is now opened lol
Exactly. And if 360/201/Richardson orient more toward the intersection (as it sounds is planned) it could even increase traffic to stores underground as more people will walk by and maybe go in. It's staggering the amount of people I talk to that have no idea how to get underground, where it all connects, how to get anywhere, what's down there, etc. Think of everything under Richardson – there's no way you'd have a clue if you didn't go there much. The entrances to WS and the entire underground/skywalk system don't draw anyone down that wasn't already going there. Clean them up, make them attractive, add signage – more people will go.

I have clients that come to my office in the Exchange all the time and many have said they didn't even know how close we were to accessing the Walkway system (@ Richardson).

I think Pacific Centre in Vancouver is an amazing example of what our Walkway system could and should be. The entrances to the mall/concourse are about the size of the WS ones on Portage and Fort, but they dress up the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 out of them and make it obvious there's a much bigger "mall" behind and under the street-level retail. By appearances, you'd never know there was a full mall underground. Here it's like we're afraid to show people what lies beneath.

I mean look at this Winnipeg Square entrance for god sakes. Why would anyone who doesn't routinely go to WS for a specific purpose ever decide to take a walk through here. Now compare it to this type of entrance at PC which would be great at 201, or this one which should be a model for WS – the doors open directly to an escalator down. Pacific Centre connects dozens of buildings underground just like Winnipeg Square and the underground. It's not rocket science.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:17 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Opening portage and main to pedestrian will not be the be all and end all to rejuvenating downtown. Like the arena or the other developments we are seeing it will be another small piece to the larger puzzle. I just don’t see a reason as to keeping it closed.
No one thinks that it will be some magic bullet solution for downtown revitalization. It's just a straw man being used by those against it. It will improve connectivity between the Forks, the Exchange and the SHED and that may have some development benefits but at the end of the day it's just silly that people can't walk from point A to point B via the most logical, direct route and there are no real arguments against it. I've yet to see any of those against opening present actual facts or evidence showing why it shouldn't be opened. They just keep throwing out a bunch of speculation and get all hysterical and then call you names and insult you if you disagree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:17 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
^Exactly. So many downtown "megaprojects" or just prominent ones have had people touting they'd "save" downtown alone or make an immediate, massive impact – we know it's not the case. They're (including P&M) all part of the larger puzzle to make downtown, the Exchange, and The Forks better – and better connected. This is about downtown, not about traffic through it (which the impact is minimal anyway).

If all we care about it traffic flow and trucks and vehicles getting through the city, lets just turn Corydon into a freeway so it easily connects to Roblin and the perimeter. Who cares about the people who live, work, and visit the vibrant areas of Corydon? While we're at it – Stafford is a great candidate as well to blow up – we can connect Pembina to Academy to get to the airport at light speed!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:33 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I'm not entirely convinced reopening it will do anything other than potentially hurt the businesses in Winnipeg square during the summer months. With that being said, having people walking around isn't necessarily a bad thing- but I would like to see a study on traffic patterns and whether it actually affects traffic if they do reopen it. If they were to turn it into a tourism attraction, like a bridge/overpass where you could walk over the intersection, I would be much more in favour of that. But I agree- this isn't going to do a thing for downtown revitalization whatsoever. It will contribute very little if anything at all.
Wow, this shocking coming from you. All of the businesses on each corner are in favour of it so I assume they have done the numbers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:34 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Haha gotcha!

I was against this because I felt it would be bad for the city.

Got any other examples to explain your obsession with me?
Wow, if i didn't know better, sometimes I think I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation with a five-year old.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:50 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
So back to why are we still talking about people crossing the street?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:54 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Because apparently it is a controversial issue in some quarters?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:15 PM
dennis dennis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,336
Another thing I don’t understand is why people are so hot over the issue of opening up the intersection. It’s like Assiniboine park having a population explosion of squirrels and the whole city going nuts over the news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.