Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP
The stadium cost $278,000,000, the city took on $60,000,000 of that total, not $350,000,000. The fact that you inflated the total by nearly 600% implies that the actual total isn't out of line.
Your arguments are also hypocritical. You complain about the price and yet also complain that the project was done cheaply. Would you rather they spent $600,000,000 on the stadium so that we could have finer finishes and more luxurious boxes? I think most people who actually use the facility including the boxes, loges, etc are pleased with the balance that was struck between a relatively affordable stadium with decent amenities.
|
So neither of those numbers is correct. The City did a horrible job of explaining the cost-share burden (probably on purpose: fuzzy math = less complaints), but it breaks down to something close to this.
Total Stadium Cost: 278.2 million
Province: 80 million grant
Riders: 25 million (but actually not really from them because the majority came from corporate sponsors and naming rights)
City of Regina: 173 million (-100 million loan to be repaid)
100 million of the 173 million City contribution is to be repaid back to the City as a facility fee over the next 30 years or so. However, since the City had to borrow that money in the first place, the interest expense the city will incur during this time on that money is an additional 76 million. So basically, the City is in to the stadium construction for just shy of 150 million when the bill are finally all paid off (173-100+76). Add to that the roughly 135 million in future maintenance costs, and the total price tag to the Regina taxpayer over the next 30 years is about 285 million.
I think I got that right, hopefully. Either way, it looks and functions like a 300 million dollar stadium. So, we got what we paid for I guess. No better no worse. I'm on the side of the complainers though, I think a lot more of the stadium could have been funded through facility fees and less of our tax dollars. Cause remember, that 80 million dollar grant from the province towards the stadium, that's also our tax dollars that is currently accumulating interest while we run a deficit.