HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17501  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:36 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Is that that totally hypothetical wooden tower we were just talking about? It didn't look quite liked it cracked 1,000 in the rendering. 900 seemed more like it. But I thought that was the type of building that would be classified as a "vision" on the diagrams, not a valid proposal. But then again, as you said, "let's just have fun." And I'm OK with having fun with hypothetical supertalls in Philly.
Yep; that is what I meant. I would sure like to see that one get built. This news is like getting a hot apple pie after you haven't eaten all day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17502  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:36 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Is that that totally hypothetical wooden tower we were just talking about? It didn't look quite liked it cracked 1,000 in the rendering. 900 seemed more like it. But I thought that was the type of building that would be classified as a "vision" on the diagrams, not a valid proposal. But then again, as you said, "let's just have fun." And I'm OK with having fun with hypothetical supertalls in Philly.
Yep that's what I meant
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17503  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:43 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Commercial building floor to floor heights, depending on the size of the floor plates, are more like 17 feet.
So if all floor heights are the same, and they rarely are, it comes in at 1156 feet.
I thought the diagram had residential floor to floor heights at 11'; which is short an office height at 13'. I factored in 2 extra feet then the specs they gave but you say its 17' feet. if it is 17' is that floor to floor or including floor thickness and infrastructure space?

I actually hope you're right; 1156' would make this proposal the tallest building in the city; it would make a statement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17504  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:57 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,040
I think we're getting a little carried away here. Comcast and LPT have plans already, this is just an architect showing their vision for what they think they could do. This isn't a definite proposal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17505  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:00 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I think we're getting a little carried away here. Comcast and LPT have plans already, this is just an architect showing their vision for what they think they could do. This isn't a definite proposal.
You're wrong this is totally legitimate, I heard the groundbreaking is next week!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17506  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:56 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I thought the diagram had residential floor to floor heights at 11'; which is short an office height at 13'. I factored in 2 extra feet then the specs they gave but you say its 17' feet. if it is 17' is that floor to floor or including floor thickness and infrastructure space?

I actually hope you're right; 1156' would make this proposal the tallest building in the city; it would make a statement.
As I said, it largely depends on the size of the floor plate. Bigger floor plate area = higher floor to floor, so light can get deeper into each floor. But even with a smaller floor area, commercial buildings rarely have less than 15' floor to floor height.
Floor to floor means just that: top of one floor slab to the top of the next floor slab. That includes mechanical spaces above ceilings / between floors, everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17507  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:06 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Right, essentially 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 work to give the plumber's union a job.
Wait...so did this actually happen? If this is a true statement, I am legitimately horrified.

Last edited by Milksteak; Apr 27, 2018 at 9:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17508  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:24 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Just for the record; I don't know what the final plans are; I don't think this design we see will fit on that site without some modifications; but based on the designs we saw it looks like it can be very tall and it would be great to see it get built; plus its good for the environment.

If they actually do go with the design; 62 floors with the height range we're talking would impact the skyline. I sat by the South Street Bridge and while drawling the skyline I lightly and temporarily drew what the skyline would look if this were to actually be agreed upon and built out as; just to see the potential we're talking. It would have great presence!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17509  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:06 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Right, essentially 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 work to give the plumber's union a job.
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe at the time Comcast 1 was build the plumbing code hadn't been updated to include waterless urinals, so part of the argument was about building to code. Now the code includes them, no more problem. Codes can be incredibly slow to consider advancement in methods and materials.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17510  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:07 PM
GtownFriend GtownFriend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Boulder CO
Posts: 601
The recent Controller's Report on the tax-abatement has a large section (4) on construction costs in Philly relative to other cities. It includes some interesting stats on the cost of union (and non-union) labor. Basically its relatively high. Only NYC, San Fran, and Chicago have higher labor costs.
This has various consequences impacting the profitablity of new development across the city.

Lot's more here:
http://www.philadelphiacontroller.org/uploads/press_releases/tax-abatement-analysis-final-final.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17511  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:14 PM
cjPhilly cjPhilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Center City
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe at the time Comcast 1 was build the plumbing code hadn't been updated to include waterless urinals, so part of the argument was about building to code. Now the code includes them, no more problem. Codes can be incredibly slow to consider advancement in methods and materials.
That's pretty much it, though the argument was less about what the code said and more about protecting work for the unions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12083483/ns/us...inals-rile-philly-plumbers/#.WuN2zC4bOiM

They eventually reached an agreement, but something I did not know was that as part of that deal Liberty Property agreed not to install waterless urinals anywhere else in the city for five years until the Comcast "trial" was concluded!

http://www.contractormag.com/plumbing/cm_newsarticle_888
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17512  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 4:36 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,040
So I don't in any way mean to stir the pot, but my friend has told me that Google would like to take their Google Fiber platform to Comcast's doorstep and implement it in Philadelphia. He didn't say anything about offices and whatnot, but can anyone else add anything?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17513  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 9:01 AM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
So I don't in any way mean to stir the pot, but my friend has told me that Google would like to take their Google Fiber platform to Comcast's doorstep and implement it in Philadelphia. He didn't say anything about offices and whatnot, but can anyone else add anything?
That would be surprising, unless Google Fiber pivots and starts expanding again.

The End of Google Fiber Expansion: Where Did It All Go Wrong?
__________________
Philadelphia Industrial & Commercial Heritage
A public Facebook group to promote appreciation of Greater Philadelphia's industrial and commercial history and advocate for historic preservation and adaptive re-use.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17514  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:08 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
So I don't in any way mean to stir the pot, but my friend has told me that Google would like to take their Google Fiber platform to Comcast's doorstep and implement it in Philadelphia. He didn't say anything about offices and whatnot, but can anyone else add anything?
Yeah, google fiber is dead or will be. COMCAST HAS A WIDE moat on this and all the advantages of a capital intensive fiber network that’s very hard to compete with. Cannot be match or duplicated to get an appreciable market share.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Apr 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17515  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 8:30 PM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
COMCAST HAS A WIDE moat on this
RCN: Hello Philadelphia. Hello Comcast.
Comcast: Hello City Council, Mayor Rendell and David L. Cohen.
Comcast, City Council, Mayor Rendell and David L. Cohen in unison: Goodbye RCN.

See: https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/7020514067.pdf
__________________
Philadelphia Industrial & Commercial Heritage
A public Facebook group to promote appreciation of Greater Philadelphia's industrial and commercial history and advocate for historic preservation and adaptive re-use.

Last edited by Jayfar; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17516  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:44 AM
volguus zildrohar's Avatar
volguus zildrohar volguus zildrohar is offline
I Couldn't Tell Anyone
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The City Of Philadelphia
Posts: 15,933
PHILLY FORUM MEET

I don't think we've done one since pre Comcast Center and summersm43 is the last new Phillyhead I've met.

This Saturday (May 4) looks like a great day (finally) to be out and about. Who's up for collectively walking and chatting up what's been going on in Center City?
__________________
je suis phillytrax sur FLICKR, y'all
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17517  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:49 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,040
This Saturday is May 5, which is my anniversary with my girlfriend. However, I am free in the day on the actual May 4.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17518  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:47 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
[QUOTE=Jayfar;8170843]RCN: Hello Philadelphia. Hello Comcast.
Comcast: Hello City Council, Mayor Rendell and David L. Cohen.
Comcast, City Council, Mayor Rendell and David L. Cohen in unison: Goodbye RCN.

^
That sums it up!

I like competition. It's good at least there's Verizon Fios as an alternative to Comcast.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17519  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:10 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
PHILLY FORUM MEET

I don't think we've done one since pre Comcast Center and summersm43 is the last new Phillyhead I've met.

This Saturday (May 4) looks like a great day (finally) to be out and about. Who's up for collectively walking and chatting up what's been going on in Center City?
I'm in Atlanta, but people who can should go. We need to do another one at the Four Seasons bar this fall!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17520  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:30 PM
jso jso is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2
Dorky question, but now that the CITC building has been topped off and is nearing completion, I was wondering when local news stations update the skyline image in the background? Is it typically after a new building is officially "inaugurated"? This goes for all images with the skyline. Is there a rule of thumb everyone goes by?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.