HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17481  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:26 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF1968 View Post
As a Philly Fire Fighter I cringe at the thought of a heavy timber high rise. I'll admit I don't know anything about this type of construction. I'll do my home work but fighting a fire in this type of building would be a night mare.
for what it's worth, from a architects forum

Back to basics
"Wood is one of nature's most innovative building materials: the production has no waste products and it binds CO2. Wood has low weight, but is a very strong load-bearing structure compared to its lightness. Wood is also more fire resistant than both steel and concrete. This is due to 15% of wood mass being water, which will evaporate before the wood actually burns. In addition, logs get charred which protects the core. Wood secures a good indoor climate, perfect acoustics, helps regulating the inside temperature and can be exposed without being covered with plaster or other costly materials"

I would bet that one of the secrets, one of the hold ups in this type of construction is how to make rigid connections between the various pieces of wood. Glue works very well in near perfect conditions, which aren't on a construction site 500' up in the air. You can't weld wood and if you bolt it together the metal plates and bolts have to be fire proved. But if the costs are kept down then hi-rise wood structured buildings could happen in the near future.
What union would be in the lead for putting pre-fabed wooden structures together?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17482  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:12 AM
Mr Saturn64's Avatar
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,128
I know that's completely hypothetical, and the odds of a wooden skyscraper that height (how tall is that, 900?) is well... rather absurd, but I like the design of it very much. Imagine how that would look if it were made of glass and steel. That's the type of skyscraper I want to see there.
__________________
⚾Go Phillies!⚾ 🦅Fly Eagles Fly!🦅 🏀Trust the Process!🏀 🏒Go Flyers!🏒

Save the SS United States!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17483  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:31 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,040
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17484  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 1:46 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I know that's completely hypothetical, and the odds of a wooden skyscraper that height (how tall is that, 900?) is well... rather absurd, but I like the design of it very much. Imagine how that would look if it were made of glass and steel. That's the type of skyscraper I want to see there.
I'd agree with this. It's a really cool looking tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17485  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:22 PM
Schmidt519's Avatar
Schmidt519 Schmidt519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 50
Although Mill Construction with laminated beams is pretty resistant to fire and can survive severe fire, it don't think it would be good material for high rise. Mill Construction is a subclass of Category 2 (Joisted Masonry). Of course Fire is not the only consideration in highrise design and probably would not score high in alot of other areas as well. Categories of building construction from the least fire-resistive category to the most fire-resistive category, are as follows: From my understanding, its very expensive but Mill Construction should have minimum two hour fire-resistance rating on bearing walls, which means its among the most resistive to fire.

1) Frame—Exterior walls of wood, brick veneer, stone veneer, wood ironclad, or stucco on wood. (Construction Code 1)

2) Joisted Masonry—Exterior walls of masonry material (adobe, brick, concrete, gypsum block, hollow concrete block, stone, tile, or similar materials) with combustible floor and roof. (Construction Code 2)

3) Noncombustible—Exterior walls, floor, and supports made of metal, asbestos, gypsum, or other noncombustible materials. (Construction Code 3)

4) Masonry Noncombustible—Same as joisted masonry except that the floors and roof are of metal or other noncombustible materials. (Construction Code 4)

5) Modified Fire Resistive—Exterior walls, floors, and roof of masonry or fire-resistive material with a fire resistance rating of at least 1 hour but less than 2 hours. (Construction Code 5)

6) Fire Resistive—Exterior walls, floors, and roof of masonry or fire-resistive materials with a fire resistance rating of at least 2 hours. (Construction Code 6)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17486  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:37 PM
Frontst17 Frontst17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 304
I dont see many buildings where the steel structure is exposed throughout the building and I cant imagine the wood structure will be exposed like some box of matches waiting for a spark. There will still be glass and walls and protective covering and probably still plenty of steel. Its probably equally as likely as any building to catch fire. This won't be a Bangladeshi garment factory. Its an incredible idea and would put the Philly skyline on the global map in a world craving eco friendly business ideas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17487  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:48 PM
Skintreesnail Skintreesnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I know that's completely hypothetical, and the odds of a wooden skyscraper that height (how tall is that, 900?) is well... rather absurd, but I like the design of it very much. Imagine how that would look if it were made of glass and steel. That's the type of skyscraper I want to see there.
I don't know if absurd is the right word; unlikely is probably better. They should be starting smaller IMO. I've noticed a lot of proposals from around the world within the last couple years. From what I understand, cross-laminated timber is supposed to be as strong as steel and actually is safer in a fire since it doesn't burn well and doesn't pose the same danger of collapse as steel does. It's also much faster to assemble and lighter/cheaper to transport, a renewable material and takes less energy/creates less pollution to produce than steel (and I think I remember reading concrete). Not saying that it should be used everywhere, but it seems to make sense to at least consider as a building material.



This highway bridge has been around for a while in South Dakota. I think Canada and Finland have a bunch of mass timber bridges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Wye



Some more bridge examples:
https://www.nordic.ca/en/projects/mass-timber-bridges

Building recently completed in Minnesota:
https://www.dezeen.com/2016/12/02/michae...mber-building-usa-minneapolis-minnesota/



Building in England:
https://www.treehugger.com/green-archite...est-cross-laminated-timber-building.html



Curbed map of some other proposals:
https://www.curbed.com/maps/tall-timber-construction-projects-in-the-works

Edit: better list than the curbed article:
https://archinect.com/news/tag/620311/wooden-skyscraper

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Apr 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17488  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:53 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I know that's completely hypothetical, and the odds of a wooden skyscraper that height (how tall is that, 900?) is well... rather absurd, but I like the design of it very much. Imagine how that would look if it were made of glass and steel. That's the type of skyscraper I want to see there.
It's only absurd until someone does it! The present record is what, 300' tall, so my guess is that taller will be possible soon if its not already possible. Possible doesn't mean that it makes sense, but if carbon credits and trade offs become common place then there might be enough push to get this method of construction rolling. There's always a learning curve with new materials and methods.

BTW---in looking at photos of the recently completed building in Vancouver and the one under construction in Stockholm or Finland it looks like the wooden beams and ceiling planks are left uncovered. And why not if they are fire resistant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17489  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:01 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
You guys aren't asking the right questions here. This is Philadelphia after all. If a building were to be built of timber, which of the building unions would be left out in the cold? Assuming that this would adversely affect union participation, then this has a snowball's chance in hell at happening. Anyone remember those waterless urinals in the original Comcast Center????
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17490  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:04 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
You guys aren't asking the right questions here. This is Philadelphia after all. If a building were to be built of timber, which of the building unions would be left out in the cold? Assuming that this would adversely affect union participation, then this has a snowball's chance in hell at happening. Anyone remember those waterless urinals in the original Comcast Center????
Sad but very true.
__________________
I've been living under a rock.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17491  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:11 PM
Baconboy007 Baconboy007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
You guys aren't asking the right questions here. This is Philadelphia after all. If a building were to be built of timber, which of the building unions would be left out in the cold? Assuming that this would adversely affect union participation, then this has a snowball's chance in hell at happening. Anyone remember those waterless urinals in the original Comcast Center????
Didn't they put in the pipes for the urinals even through they are not connected?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17492  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:51 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
This project, if Comcast builds it, wouldn't just be tower 3 but rather tower 3 and tower 4; however these towers are huge; I'll take a guess of between 700 to 950' but they won't fit on that site will that. The only way I can see these building being built on the site is if 1tower is build between Arch and Cherry and the other between Cherry and Race. If the taller tower is built on Arch its far enough away from the Parkway to achieve a good height like the Bell Atlantic Tower is; and Logan Circle would still get sun once the sun's rays pass 20th Street. Its an intriguing possibility.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17493  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:55 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Didn't they put in the pipes for the urinals even through they are not connected?
Right, essentially 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 work to give the plumber's union a job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17494  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:56 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
I wonder what the Skyline will look like with these towers; from different angles?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17495  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:30 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Okay, this is what I'm hearing; though I can neither confirm or deny anything. Lets just have fun.

The tallest tower if I'm not mistaken is 62 stories; the space from floor to floor is 13 feet but with the space of the actual floors themselves and with a 6 story cooling tower; it should come to around 1020 feet. If anyone has any other calculations please jump in.

The residential tower is 32 floors and has a floor to floor space of 11 feet plus the actual thickness of the floor; it shouldn't be any tower than 416 feet
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17496  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:32 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Okay, this is what I'm hearing; though I can neither confirm or deny anything. Lets just have fun.

The tallest tower if I'm not mistaken is 62 stories; the space from floor to floor is 13 feet but with the space of the actual floors themselves and with a 6 story cooling tower; it should come to around 1020 feet. If anyone has any other calculations please jump in.

The residential tower is 32 floors and has a floor to floor space of 11 feet plus the actual thickness of the floor; it shouldn't be any tower than 416 feet
Are you taking about the Comcast III/Liberty project?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17497  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:40 PM
Mr Saturn64's Avatar
Mr Saturn64 Mr Saturn64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Okay, this is what I'm hearing; though I can neither confirm or deny anything. Lets just have fun.

The tallest tower if I'm not mistaken is 62 stories; the space from floor to floor is 13 feet but with the space of the actual floors themselves and with a 6 story cooling tower; it should come to around 1020 feet. If anyone has any other calculations please jump in.

The residential tower is 32 floors and has a floor to floor space of 11 feet plus the actual thickness of the floor; it shouldn't be any tower than 416 feet
Is that that totally hypothetical wooden tower we were just talking about? It didn't look quite liked it cracked 1,000 in the rendering. 900 seemed more like it. But I thought that was the type of building that would be classified as a "vision" on the diagrams, not a valid proposal. But then again, as you said, "let's just have fun." And I'm OK with having fun with hypothetical supertalls in Philly.
__________________
⚾Go Phillies!⚾ 🦅Fly Eagles Fly!🦅 🏀Trust the Process!🏀 🏒Go Flyers!🏒

Save the SS United States!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17498  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:09 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Okay, this is what I'm hearing; though I can neither confirm or deny anything. Lets just have fun.

The tallest tower if I'm not mistaken is 62 stories; the space from floor to floor is 13 feet but with the space of the actual floors themselves and with a 6 story cooling tower; it should come to around 1020 feet. If anyone has any other calculations please jump in.

The residential tower is 32 floors and has a floor to floor space of 11 feet plus the actual thickness of the floor; it shouldn't be any tower than 416 feet
Commercial building floor to floor heights, depending on the size of the floor plates, are more like 17 feet.
So if all floor heights are the same, and they rarely are, it comes in at 1156 feet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17499  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 12:59 AM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Right, essentially 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 work to give the plumber's union a job.


Are you saying the plumbers union by passed all regulations , had approval from Comcast to violate safety and
health codes and no one corrected the situation ??? Or do you just not like the plumbers union executives .....
or any unions at all .
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17500  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:54 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Are you saying the plumbers union by passed all regulations , had approval from Comcast to violate safety and
health codes and no one corrected the situation ??? Or do you just not like the plumbers union executives .....
or any unions at all .
I don't like Philadelphia Unions at all due to their increasingly apparent similarities to the mob.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.