HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7121  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:05 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I believe that he has moved over to a different forum. Skyrise Cities, I believe. I think most of the folks with insider information and insightful posts have moved over there.
SRC's airport thread hasn't been very busy. It looks like Calgarypuck has more aviation discussion.
     
     
  #7122  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:15 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,491
Looking at all three forums...

Each one has the exact same info and discussions.

Didn’t learn anything new from the other two I didn’t already know from here.

     
     
  #7123  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:52 PM
Mazrim's Avatar
Mazrim Mazrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The YYC thread on CP is mostly just Bigtime talking to himself.
The Aviation Appreciation thread has more discussion than the YYC thread generally. This thread is definitely the most active of all of them, of course.
     
     
  #7124  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:16 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I have heard the rumor the 333 has a small operating cost advantage compared to the 789 on smaller stage lengths even with aircraft ownership costs removed. This difference is not enough to choose the 333 over more 789. So why did AC replace 763s with 333?
I think it was inevitable that AC was going to keep the A333s. It never made sense to get rid of them so early. Very productive birds across the Atlantic. They serve their purpose very well out of YUL/YYZ.

Also, right now, AC has a decent pool of A319/A320 certified pilots that can easily upgrade to the A330 if required. A simple differences course and a few hours in the sim are enough. Even though there are a lot of differences between an A320 and an A330 (hydraulics, fuel, electrics etc), from a pilots perspective, the operation is virtually identical. With the A319/A320 numbers slowly winding down, this could be another factor that persuaded AC to keep the A333s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Had Westjet continued to purchase used 763s for widebody expansion, it very likely AC would have retained their mainline 763s.
Those remaining mainline 767s are between 27-30 years old. No matter what WS did, AC's mainline 767s were going to disappear by the end of this decade.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Feb 27, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
     
     
  #7125  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:09 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
(1) I think it was inevitable that AC was going to keep the A333s. It never made sense to get rid of them so early. Very productive birds across the Atlantic. They serve their purpose very well out of YUL/YYZ.

(2) Those remaining mainline 767s are between 27-30 years old. No matter what WS did, AC's mainline 767s were going to disappear by the end of this decade.
(1) The small AC fleet of 333s was the biggest reason not to keep them. I know from inside sources the original plan was for the 333s to depart once the first 789s were added to the fleet.

As it is, there will be 3 aircraft types in the 300 seat widebody range: 77L, 789, 333. Normally this would be an Ansett Australia type problem; however the 77L has commonality with 77W for 23 examples and the 789 has commonality with the 788 for 37 examples. Bringing the 333 fleet up to 12-15 aircraft will mitigate the problem of small fleet = higher cost.

(2) Even at 30 years old, the 763s are in good shape and could last until middle of the next decade or when the MoM/797 arrives.
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
     
     
  #7126  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:58 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post

(2) Even at 30 years old, the 763s are in good shape and could last until middle of the next decade or when the MoM/797 arrives.
That's a pretty optimistic assumption. As mentioned, AC already operates the oldest passenger B763s out there. These planes were never going to see 31-35 years of service. The MoM wont come out before the end of the next decade. They are saying 2025, but we all know it will most likely get delayed. The 763s dont have what it takes to hold out that long.
     
     
  #7127  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
That's a pretty optimistic assumption. As mentioned, AC already operates the oldest passenger B763s out there. These planes were never going to see 31-35 years of service. The MoM wont come out before the end of the next decade. They are saying 2025, but we all know it will most likely get delayed. The 763s dont have what it takes to hold out that long.
Very odd. We know Delta operates aircraft until they die of old age. AC has 767 that are older than Delta? You don't say?
     
     
  #7128  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:58 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Isn’t today the day WestJet announces their new Livery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Tomorrow, the 28th.
Did I miss this? or did they delay the release?
     
     
  #7129  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:19 PM
boeing767300 boeing767300 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
KLM B-747-400 PH-BFC City of Calgary. I flew on this aircraft last week from Houston to Amsterdam as the KL662. The Calgary Transportation Authority plaque dated September 1989 is still in place on the aircraft. There is also a sticker on the plaque stating that the last flight for the aircraft is March 7th. Mixed feelings for me as the aircraft was originally supposed to stop in YYC back in Sept 89 on its delivery flight to AMS. The KLM station manager at the time had asked me to photograph the aircraft during the short stop. Sadly at the last minute KLM decided to fly direct AMS and that caused a lot of disappointment. I have not heard anything about the local group trying to organize a visit by the aircraft. Any insight on that front would be appreciated, meanwhile it will be interesting to find out what happens to that CTA plaque.
     
     
  #7130  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:24 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,429
Finally able to use the new terminal as a passenger as I ventured off to Mexico for the hubby's birthday. Check-in went smoothly, although we couldn't use the kiosk as the hubby has a Chinese passport, even the security checkpoint went smoothly. Although, it wasn't very busy when we got there. Boarding went well as well. WS was boarding about four different flights to Mexico at once, and they seemed to have it down pat. We were at gates 84-87.

On the return portion, we had to wait on the ramp for about twenty or so minutes due to congestion on the gates. I think around this time there are a lot of arrivals from Mexico/USA? It was around 7:45pm ish. In customs everything went well. Despite the high volume of people, we were through to the baggage hall in about 15-20 minutes. Baggage itself was pretty slow though.

Overall, a reasonably well experience. Though part of this could be I was well versed in what to expect and all the processes.
     
     
  #7131  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:58 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,429
Looks like AC has loaded it’s winter changes for next year and PVR is also going back to mainline with a 320 aircraft on Saturday.

HUX is still on the schedule as a Rouge 767 but will probably be changed eventually.

Edit: Looks like PHX is also going mainline too on a 320.

Last edited by hollywoodcory; Mar 6, 2018 at 2:41 PM.
     
     
  #7132  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 4:18 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
What's the AC schedule for the PHX flights?

I'm boycotting WS until they bring flight 1494/95 back.
     
     
  #7133  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 4:48 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
What's the AC schedule for the PHX flights?

I'm boycotting WS until they bring flight 1494/95 back.
It departs at 19:30 and operates daily by the looks of it in winter 18/19.
     
     
  #7134  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 5:03 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
It departs at 19:30 and operates daily by the looks of it in winter 18/19.
Thank you, this makes me really happy.

How could I have found that out myself? I sent WS a tweet asking if the flight was discontinued and they linked me to their flight schedule, which was not helpful.

From what I can tell it looks like they dropped one flight daily and it's really affected the flight prices.I used to be able to leave around 6pm and the return flight left Phoenix around 9:30. That's not really an option anymore. That flight was always packed, I can't understand why they dropped it in the first place.

I've flown there 14 times over the past few years and based on my experience the flights cost 75% more (I'm a nerd and track the flight prices in a spreadsheet).

Last edited by DoubleK; Mar 6, 2018 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Clarifying I was speaking about WestJet...
     
     
  #7135  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:14 PM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Looks like AC has loaded it’s winter changes for next year and PVR is also going back to mainline with a 320 aircraft on Saturday.

HUX is still on the schedule as a Rouge 767 but will probably be changed eventually.

Edit: Looks like PHX is also going mainline too on a 320.
Actually PVR is going to 4 weekly and SJD to 3 weekly.

PVR and SJD will share a daily 320.

And CUN and OGG will share a daily 7M8.

And adding daily PSP on 320s.

So sun destination flying next winter ex YYC on AC looks like this:

OGG 4 weekly 7M8
PVR 4 weekly 320
CUN 3 weekly 7M8
SJD 3 weekly 320
PHX daily 320
PSP daily 320
LAS daily 319 rouge
HUX 1 weekly 763 rouge (will probably cycle through Eastern Canada or downgauge or be dropped).

Press releases here...

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018-03-...d-Edmonton-Las-Vegas-Flights-Next-Winter

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018-03-...-to-Hawaii-With-New-Boeing-737-MAX-Fleet

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:04 PM.
     
     
  #7136  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 1:34 AM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
I’m curious as to what specific measures airlines would be able to take to prevent this? Could this happen even if de-icing measures take place prior to the flight?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4066816/calgary-ice-yard-tsb/amp/

3 large pieces of ice mysteriously appear in Calgary yard

By Tony Tighe Consumer Reporter Global News

A Calgary homeowner wonders if ice from a passing plane fell in her backyard.

Patricia Praud woke up Saturday to find three large pieces of ice in the snow in her yard in the northwest community of Collingwood.

“From a plane, I guess,” she said. “What else? I looked out my kitchen window and I thought, ‘Gee, that’s funny.’
     
     
  #7137  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:48 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I’m curious as to what specific measures airlines would be able to take to prevent this? Could this happen even if de-icing measures take place prior to the flight?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4066816/calgary-ice-yard-tsb/amp/

3 large pieces of ice mysteriously appear in Calgary yard

By Tony Tighe Consumer Reporter Global News

A Calgary homeowner wonders if ice from a passing plane fell in her backyard.

Patricia Praud woke up Saturday to find three large pieces of ice in the snow in her yard in the northwest community of Collingwood.

“From a plane, I guess,” she said. “What else? I looked out my kitchen window and I thought, ‘Gee, that’s funny.’
Collingwood is not an area of Calgary you would expect anything to fall from a plan arriving/departing YYC. Perhaps from an overflying aircraft?
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
     
     
  #7138  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:59 PM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Mainline to PSP is a declaration of war against WS as far as I'm concerned, and I'm loving it.

AC1048 YYC 1645 1845 PSP 320 D
AC1049 PSP 1150 1555 YYC 320 D

I'll take "routes I didn't expect" for $2,000, Alex.
What? A new transborder route on AC? Are my eyes deceiving me
     
     
  #7139  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:13 AM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
Air Canada is definitely trying again to edge out WS. Interesting their most recent expansions have been to more local destinations like Okanagan, Vancouver Island, western US. Seems so late in the game to be adding Rouge to LAS from Edmonton lol, I'm glad they are doing it but it seems like it could've been done so long ago. I suppose it is the new MAX routes freeing up aircraft that now they have it available?
     
     
  #7140  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:25 AM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Air Canada is definitely trying again to edge out WS. Interesting their most recent expansions have been to more local destinations like Okanagan, Vancouver Island, western US. Seems so late in the game to be adding Rouge to LAS from Edmonton lol, I'm glad they are doing it but it seems like it could've been done so long ago. I suppose it is the new MAX routes freeing up aircraft that now they have it available?
I wonder if some of this is AC has these new 737 arriving. They may not be going on these routes directly but the routes they are going are freeing up other aircraft to use on these routes.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.