Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext
|
Really good to see that site getting redeveloped AND the cinema preserved/restored. I think this could be a model for many of the local neighbourhood cinemas that is a win-win for all concerned.
The Rio Theatre would be perfect for such a plan (although I doubt the Rio's owner, who is currently fundraising to save it, would be able to fundraise enough to make this happen by herself).
I hope the Park Theatre (Cambie/19th) one day goes this way too. The whole block could do with additional residential density, but the neighbourhood loves the locally-owned and run shops very much and don't want them all replaced with big chains combining all of the CRUs, that would displace the local stores. A mix of neighbourhood stores and a mid-sized anchor, underneath several floors of residential, plus the cinema in the back, is a great combo for this kind of project.