HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #721  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:58 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
More Airport News:

SLC airport set another record for passengers in 2017
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/201...t-another-record-for-passengers-in-2017/

Quote:
Salt Lake City International Airport set another record for passengers last year, logging more than 24 million passengers for the first time.

The airport reported Monday that the total number of passengers that passed through it in 2017 was 24,196,816, up by 4.5 percent.

The vast majority of those were domestic passengers: 23.29 million, up 4 percent.

There were also 913,628 international passengers, representing an increase of more than 20 percent.
The biggest part of the news is the bolded part above, International Passengers increased approximately 20% year over year.

This increase in International passengers on top of the 4% increase in Domestic passengers should warrant the full build out of the North Concourse.

If the numbers for next year are even close to these numbers, I think the Airport Board should look at possibly speeding up the timing of the 3rd Concourse.

Also, what are the odds of an additional runway being added in the near future as well as an extension of the main runway to (18,000' or more) so that airlines can run higher capacity planes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #722  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 8:15 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
The west runway could be extended to 15,000', but anything beyond that is futile because the vast majority of planes that would need that runway length are going to exceed their tire speed limits and potentially damage the landing gear. That's why the A330s that flew to Tokyo didn't perform well - many seats had to be blocked out because of altitude and performance issues. I'm sad that Delta cancelled their 787 order, as much as I think everything else Boeing produces is inferior to Airbus - the 787 would have performed really well here in SLC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #723  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:20 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
More Airport News:

SLC airport set another record for passengers in 2017
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/201...t-another-record-for-passengers-in-2017/



The biggest part of the news is the bolded part above, International Passengers increased approximately 20% year over year.

This increase in International passengers on top of the 4% increase in Domestic passengers should warrant the full build out of the North Concourse.

If the numbers for next year are even close to these numbers, I think the Airport Board should look at possibly speeding up the timing of the 3rd Concourse.

Also, what are the odds of an additional runway being added in the near future as well as an extension of the main runway to (18,000' or more) so that airlines can run higher capacity planes.
There seems to be a lot of discussion about another runway. It was mentioned at the board meeting recently and also when the northwest quadrant master plan was being drafted. Does anyone know where this new runway would be? It seems like the only thing they could do is add an east-west runway just north of the international center.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #724  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:09 AM
DanskeUtahn's Avatar
DanskeUtahn DanskeUtahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wasatch Front
Posts: 87
If they were to build a new runway it would have to run North to South. Commercial air-traffic can't gain enough altitude before the Wasatch Range if the runway was East West
.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #725  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:19 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskeUtahn View Post
If they were to build a new runway it would have to run North to South. Commercial air-traffic can't gain enough altitude before the Wasatch Range if the runway was East West
.
Not to mention prevailing winds are likely to follow the valley corridor rather than going east-to-west.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #726  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 2:38 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
As far as I understand they want to get rid of 14/32 and realign, widen, and lengthen 17/35 to match 16/34 R/L. 16R34L can also be lengthened to 15'000 feet. I have seen the master plans but I don't remember where to find them right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #727  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:08 AM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312


This is a very old image but it’s the general runway plan. As Jubguy said, they’re realiginging and expanding the easternmost runway, mostly used for non-commercial flights and general aviation, to parallel the other main runways, as well as expanding and creating new taxiways between all three. Also lengthening the middle runway (and I can’t remember where I read this but I’m pretty sure they’re repaving it as concrete as well, it’s the most used runway and it’s currently asphalt)

As far as a potential additional runway, I can’t find the image either but they have it planned just west of the westernmost runway, but it would require realigning the Jordan river canal once again, as well as demolishing the buildings east of Wright Brothers Drive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #728  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:53 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
As far as a potential additional runway, I can’t find the image either but they have it planned just west of the westernmost runway, but it would require realigning the Jordan river canal once again, as well as demolishing the buildings east of Wright Brothers Drive.
Okay that makes way more sense. I suppose an important project like this wouldn't be constrained by a bunch of buildings in the way.

So this would eventually make three 12000' runways (with the addition of the new runway and lengthening of the eastern runway) and one 15000' runway?

Last edited by airhero; Jan 31, 2018 at 4:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #729  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 2:11 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Sorry - I completely forgot to do the update from Jan 24th, and the SLCDA didn't post some images for a while so some of them are actually from December (which is okay - they just don't reflect the progress actually achieved so far and the project is further ahead than these pictures indicate). I'm going to stop posting them as images and instead post links because the images the SLCDA uploads are high-quality and I would like to preserve them without having to manually resize them, and this website uses software from 1995 that doesn't know how to fit images to screen sizes. If anyone knows how to force images to fit screen sizes, please let me know, but in the meantime I would rather that the threads aren't 6000px wide and you can use the page normally without having to load images when opening it (should mean for less mobile data consumption )

January 24, 2018
  • Cordoned off an area airside to begin work on the North Concourse-West
  • Shored and poured Parking Garage levels 2 and 3
  • Continued interior framing of the South Concourse-West
  • Averaged about 950 staff on the job site

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/Uploads/Area-G.jpg
SCW interior area G

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cmsimages/TRP/Progress-Gallery/Terminal-Curved-Wall-Jan-2018.jpg
Terminal curved wall

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cmsima...W-curtain-wall-construction-Jan-2018.jpg
SCW curtain wall construction

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cmsima...arking-Garage-Looking-North-Dec-2017.jpg
Parking garage / terminal aerial Dec 2017

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cmsima...lery/Terminal-Looking-South-Dec-2017.jpg
Terminal looking south Dec 2017

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cmsima...aptured-for-North-Concourse-Jan-2018.jpg
The secure area has been cordoned off for work on the north concourse and enabling preparations have begun for construction. The westernmost edge of the south concourse is visible in this photo.

https://www.slcairport.com/assets/cmsimages/TRP/Progress-Gallery/Generator-Delivery-to-CUP-2.jpg
A giant toilet... no just kidding, the generator being delivered to the central utility plant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #730  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:32 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Just a thought... I would have loved to seen the airport clad in copper. I know it would be significantly more expensive, but something like this fire station in Chamonix would look incredible and give the airport a unique identity:



Or maybe a finish like this, with the rust-colored screens over the air intakes.

'

The current mockup building shows the finishing to be an anodized aluminum panel with an orange coating, but in my opinion, it would look much better had they actually used copper cladding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #731  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 1:58 PM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Just a thought... I would have loved to seen the airport clad in copper. I know it would be significantly more expensive
How about astronomically more expensive? If you are going to have pipe dreams, might as well make it the largest airport in the world while you're at it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #732  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:41 PM
twig twig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 65
That copper is extremely ugly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #733  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:24 PM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Copper would look awful on that large of a scale.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #734  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:50 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Copper would look awful on that large of a scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
That copper is extremely ugly.
Yeah because bright orange aluminum looks so much better. I’m with jubguy on this one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #735  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:11 PM
twig twig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Yeah because bright orange aluminum looks so much better. I’m with jubguy on this one.
Both orange aluminum and copper both look like garbage on this. Such an eye sore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #736  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 11:27 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
Both orange aluminum and copper both look like garbage on this. Such an eye sore.
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you have against copper? It’s a fantastic and very unique finishing material to work with.

Copper could age beautifully as well. Especially if the panels were different types of copper laid together. Kind of like the plan for lassonde studios or the Natural History museum.

Last edited by Wasatch Wasteland; Feb 6, 2018 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #737  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:45 PM
twig twig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you have against copper? It’s a fantastic and very unique finishing material to work with.

Copper could age beautifully as well. Especially if the panels were different types of copper laid together. Kind of like the plan for lassonde studios or the Natural History museum.
To be completely honest I love copper, but only when its done right. In the examples jubguy gave it looks horrible and completely garbage. But when its used right mixed with glass and taller I think copper is one of the most gorgeous materials out there.

For example here is a building in the Denver Tech Center:

https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+b...B&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=kVXEuhciZqAlbM:

One of the tallest buildings in Russia:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&b...k1.140.esAXW3GblsE#imgrc=PHfI5gyfau6T4M:

Now compare those to what Jubguy posted. The Denver Tech Center and Moscow have extremely beautiful copper buildings, but what Jubguy posted was awful looking and didn't show any real character, his was examples of how monotone you can make a building using one of the greatest materials out there. If your going to use copper at least make it really pop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #738  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:57 PM
twig twig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 65
I also just wanted to note that those examples I gave, I do not know for sure if there is any actual copper on those buildings, or if they just have a copper colored coating on them. But either way, I would love to see them use the copper coloring in a way that resembles something like my two examples rather than the previous examples by jubguy. I understand it won't be as tall as my examples, but you can really make it unique and pop in the same way.

Also on a completely different note, I think Moscow has got to have the most unique skyline I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #739  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:07 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Neither of those buildings you referenced are copper, just brown/orange tinted glass. Sorry but I really don’t understand your gripe with copper... how is it not being done “right?” Copper ages beautifully, the brown glass you referenced is just brown glass... I’d really hate to see that in the airport.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #740  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:23 PM
twig twig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 65
Isn't that whats great about being different! We have different opinions. I think the airport would look much better if it was done like the examples I showed verses what the other examples I saw were.

The renderings look like its orange tinted aluminum, which in my opinion would look very ugly. Doing the exact same thing with copper in my opinion would look just slightly better. But what I do think would look much better and professional in my opinion would to do it more like what I was showing. Maybe that's doing it with orange/brown tinted glass, I think having the gloss would look amazing if it were done that way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:09 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.