HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8761  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 7:47 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,826
I need to see more than 1 side of a line drawing to make up my mind, but so far, I'm not a fan... maybe once proper renders come out I'll like it.
     
     
  #8762  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:18 PM
canarob canarob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 111


This is certainly...something. A reclad of the original building is needed here.
     
     
  #8763  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:27 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
My first belly laugh of 2018. Thank you Kirkor!
     
     
  #8764  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:31 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by canarob View Post


This is certainly...something. A reclad of the original building is needed here.
No way. The tower would be just a cheap, inspired, forgettable design without the ridiculous incorporation of an equally unimpressive, modern era office block.
     
     
  #8765  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:09 PM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Simcoe County, ON
Posts: 6,506
^ Not surprised hearing your opinion on this. The entire thing could be made of gold and you'd hate it. I'm going to hold out until I see more renderings, it certainly has potential to go in either direction.
     
     
  #8766  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:15 PM
ericmacm's Avatar
ericmacm ericmacm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by canarob View Post


This is certainly...something. A reclad of the original building is needed here.
Wow. That looks pretty with all the different angled facets of the building. But if they're going to go that nuts with the design, why even keep the office tower below? It just looks like a turd in comparison, it's definitely going to need a serious reclad if it is going to stay.

But, if there's a building design that will reduce the influence of Aura, that one will do a great job at it.
     
     
  #8767  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:44 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,826
The bottom 80 metres is gross, but above that I like it...
     
     
  #8768  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:20 AM
GeneralLea's Avatar
GeneralLea GeneralLea is offline
Midtowner since 2K
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Midtown Toronto
Posts: 5,983
Personally, I don't mind the office tower currently there...it's a very passive design, but to me looks admirable in a few respects. This proposal just seems somewhat arbitrary....it doesn't make a whole lot of sense realistically....especially compared to a project like 488 University where the existing building is able to support it because it's floor plate is larger and it has external supports added. (I understand its a very preliminary version of the proposal.....but this is a tad ridiculous)
     
     
  #8769  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:06 AM
suburbanite's Avatar
suburbanite suburbanite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto & NYC
Posts: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Wow. That looks pretty with all the different angled facets of the building. But if they're going to go that nuts with the design, why even keep the office tower below? It just looks like a turd in comparison, it's definitely going to need a serious reclad if it is going to stay.

But, if there's a building design that will reduce the influence of Aura, that one will do a great job at it.
Bylaws dictate you have to replace any office space during redevelopment, or in other words you have to end up with at least the same amount of office space as you started with. It's probably cheaper to keep the existing building and you might even be able to maintain some tenancies throughout the construction.
     
     
  #8770  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:32 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
There's incentives and bonusing to include office space. It has been studied but, I don't ever recall a bylaw passed that forces developers to replace office space.

The office building is occupied. As I have been speculating, the sounds like a probably flip based on the information from the REIT or now I'm thinking just to get the rezoning application in before changes are passed which will limit what they can build here.
     
     
  #8771  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:40 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
^ Not surprised hearing your opinion on this. The entire thing could be made of gold and you'd hate it. I'm going to hold out until I see more renderings, it certainly has potential to go in either direction.
I'm not going to like garbage just because the popular vote does. You find it stylish. I find it a cheap knockoff. 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 deal with that. It take more than some disjointed shifting planes and a drunken Mondrian pattern to impress me. You are much more easily impressed and I'm not being some whiny, pathetic fanboy because I don't share your opinion.
     
     
  #8772  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:45 AM
DrNest's Avatar
DrNest DrNest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
The bottom 80 metres is gross, but above that I like it...
That was my initial thought too.
     
     
  #8773  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:49 AM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
It's everyone's thought that the bottom is ridiculous. It's probably the closest we've come to a consensus. That only happens for the best and the grossest.
     
     
  #8774  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:11 AM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Did urbandreamer get a job at Kirkor?
     
     
  #8775  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:15 AM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,394
I like it as well, I'm surprised to say. It's certainly different from the myriad banal glass towers in Toronto. The bottom can be reconsidered. I wouldn't want the historical building razed, but maybe it can be better integrated.
Couldn't the renderer have unearthed a newer picture than one from 5 years ago, in which Aura is still under construction?
     
     
  #8776  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:01 AM
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I like it as well, I'm surprised to say. It's certainly different from the myriad banal glass towers in Toronto. The bottom can be reconsidered. I wouldn't want the historical building razed, but maybe it can be better integrated.
Couldn't the renderer have unearthed a newer picture than one from 5 years ago, in which Aura is still under construction?
That's the Google Maps 3D View, not a photo. Anything newer wouldn't allow such an angle to be used.
     
     
  #8777  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:42 AM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,826
Here is my quick mock-up with 415 Yonge:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
     
     
  #8778  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 6:28 AM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by canarob View Post


This is certainly...something. A reclad of the original building is needed here.
In no way is this "GARBAGE". The saved office portion needs to be reworked however. I like it a lot. But hell what do I know? I am just a simple "FANBOY".
     
     
  #8779  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:19 AM
mistercorporate's Avatar
mistercorporate mistercorporate is offline
The Fruit of Discipline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,036
Koops, your 3d model has reached critical mass....it just gets more epic with each new iteration!

If we never get any more proposals and just build this existing pipeline of projects, I'll be a happy man. However, I think we'll keep getting proposals and I've got no problem with that!
     
     
  #8780  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 8:26 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,425
Put me in the camp that likes it as well - has a John Hancock Boston vibe to me.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:39 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.