HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #16401  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:13 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The former GSK headquarters at 16th & Vine now re-skinned and branded as One Franklin Tower in glass. Not unusual. New tower looks way better than old. Plus Philly's ratio of glass to masonry skyscrapers are low. Until we can really complain of having way too many glass high rises built in this build cycle or the next, it's a hyperbole that the city is saturated with glass high rises as some others have suggested.
I get what you're saying but it just seem short-sighted. Part of the exciting thing of this city is its diversity in architectural styles and eras. If every time a building "felt dated" we reskinned it - then that reality would be totally lost.

Remember the Gimbels Department store - it was deemed "out dated" and demo'd and Snellenburgs - also deemed out dated was "modernized" and reskinned to match current design styles...

http://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/wp-c...phillyhistory-e1323749760895-575x340.jpg
[Sourece: Greater Philadelphia Encyclopeia]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16402  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:14 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
^

I not suggesting a glass rectangle box as my model glass highrise. That's why I picked Aramark because it has curves and angles. Further, I like to see Philly get some bold designs wrapped in glass. I also like the examples you pointed out (Verre and Steinway) and hope Philly can get something like that in the near future. Our best chance is probably the Schuykill Yard projects if and when it comes to fruition with the right tenant that has deep pockets that wants a super high profile design and building.

And for the record, I don't think every "dated" building should be re-skinned. And certainly not the Gimbels. But, another example that comes to mind is the Sheraton hotel on 17th. This is another candidate for a re-skin.

Please scroll through the pics in the link below. I like some of those designs too.

See link:
http://www.cnn.com/style/article/rise-of-glass-skyscrapers/index.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16403  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:21 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I agree with you. I like diversity of architecture. A reskin or something amazing like Steinway of Tower Verre would be one thing. But that’s not what we’d get. We’d get some boring, generic, glass. There are plenty such buildings. Also I like the cladding here much better than the GSK building. That building really needed the updating, and it’s a big improvement.
My sentiments exactly!

The Aramark building is actually pretty cool. I especially like the curves and variety of tiers/setbacks - certainly beats the square boxes we typically see. While I don't love the cladding, I agree with jsbrook - what's the alternative? Silver/blue glass? It's certainly not even close to being as offensive as the GSK building and it's nice to have something different, if for no other reason than just to break up the monotony of limestone and blue/silver glass. Honestly, when it comes to dreaming up things that would make our skyline nicer, there's probably at least 500 other items I'd rather see done.

If you want to discuss the ugliest building from that era, it has to be Commerce Square. Terribly fat with that awful roof. Doubly bad because they twinned it and the towers stand relatively unobstructed. The best solution is to develop the hell out of the far end of Market Street so that one day Commerce Square can be obstructed. Hard to believe these monstrosities was designed by IM Pei, the same architect that gave us the Society Hill Towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16404  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:01 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
My sentiments exactly!

The Aramark building is actually pretty cool. I especially like the curves and variety of tiers/setbacks - certainly beats the square boxes we typically see. While I don't love the cladding, I agree with jsbrook - what's the alternative? Silver/blue glass? It's certainly not even close to being as offensive as the GSK building and it's nice to have something different, if for no other reason than just to break up the monotony of limestone and blue/silver glass. Honestly, when it comes to dreaming up things that would make our skyline nicer, there's probably at least 500 other items I'd rather see done.

If you want to discuss the ugliest building from that era, it has to be Commerce Square. Terribly fat with that awful roof. Doubly bad because they twinned it and the towers stand relatively unobstructed. The best solution is to develop the hell out of the far end of Market Street so that one day Commerce Square can be obstructed. Hard to believe these monstrosities was designed by IM Pei, the same architect that gave us the Society Hill Towers.
Agree with you on Aramark but imo, Commerce Square > Society Hill Towers. Yes, Commerce Square is a bit dated as well but it's different and has some pop, Society Hill Towers on the other hand are just bland to me. Happy to have both, but if I had to choose one set to keep and one to demo, I'd keep Commerce Square hands down.

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks.
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16405  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:23 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Agree with you on Aramark but imo, Commerce Square > Society Hill Towers. Yes, Commerce Square is a bit dated as well but it's different and has some pop, Society Hill Towers on the other hand are just bland to me. Happy to have both, but if I had to choose one set to keep and one to demo, I'd keep Commerce Square hands down.

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks.
Agree. I'm definitely a Commerce Sq fan.


(credit: Emporis)


(credit: www.commercialcafe.com)
__________________
I've been living under a rock.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16406  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:27 PM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
My sentiments exactly!

The Aramark building is actually pretty cool. I especially like the curves and variety of tiers/setbacks - certainly beats the square boxes we typically see. While I don't love the cladding, I agree with jsbrook - what's the alternative? Silver/blue glass? It's certainly not even close to being as offensive as the GSK building and it's nice to have something different, if for no other reason than just to break up the monotony of limestone and blue/silver glass. Honestly, when it comes to dreaming up things that would make our skyline nicer, there's probably at least 500 other items I'd rather see done.

If you want to discuss the ugliest building from that era, it has to be Commerce Square. Terribly fat with that awful roof. Doubly bad because they twinned it and the towers stand relatively unobstructed. The best solution is to develop the hell out of the far end of Market Street so that one day Commerce Square can be obstructed. Hard to believe these monstrosities was designed by IM Pei, the same architect that gave us the Society Hill Towers.
+1 on Commerce Square. There's also nothing significant on either side of the towers from the north or south, which exarcebates the ugliness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16407  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:34 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Agree. I'm definitely a Commerce Sq fan.


(credit: Emporis)


(credit: www.commercialcafe.com)
Commerce not offensive at all. It aged well. I'm a fan, but not my favorite. I like Mellon Bank Center more since it was built circa 1990.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16408  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:06 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Commerce not offensive at all. It aged well. I'm a fan, but not my favorite. I like Mellon Bank Center more since it was built circa 1990.

Ok then , how about something like this for Comcast III .....



https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/La_tour_D2_Le_1er_Février_2014.JPG
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16409  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:12 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Ok then , how about something like this for Comcast III .....



https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/La_tour_D2_Le_1er_Février_2014.JPG
Hell yeah to the link for a CC3...and make that at least 1500 ft while we are dreaming this up. Winner winner chicken dinner!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16410  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 6:28 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
My sentiments exactly!

The Aramark building is actually pretty cool. I especially like the curves and variety of tiers/setbacks - certainly beats the square boxes we typically see. While I don't love the cladding, I agree with jsbrook - what's the alternative? Silver/blue glass? It's certainly not even close to being as offensive as the GSK building and it's nice to have something different, if for no other reason than just to break up the monotony of limestone and blue/silver glass. Honestly, when it comes to dreaming up things that would make our skyline nicer, there's probably at least 500 other items I'd rather see done.

If you want to discuss the ugliest building from that era, it has to be Commerce Square. Terribly fat with that awful roof. Doubly bad because they twinned it and the towers stand relatively unobstructed. The best solution is to develop the hell out of the far end of Market Street so that one day Commerce Square can be obstructed. Hard to believe these monstrosities was designed by IM Pei, the same architect that gave us the Society Hill Towers.
+2 re: Commerce Sq. I've wondered if the top section of one of the towers could be heightened and turned into residences. Basically add 10 floors and keep all the details. I think its a much better example of its day then Aramark.

Since we are just dreaming, I have always disliked that the curves on Aramark are made from a series of straight/flat panels. Making curved and insulated glass panels is much more readily doable now, tho still expensive, and to my eye would help this building a lot without changing its basic shape.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16411  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:36 AM
Hrytsyu Hrytsyu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The former GSK headquarters at 16th & Vine now re-skinned and branded as One Franklin Tower in glass. Not unusual. New tower looks way better than old. Plus Philly's ratio of glass to masonry skyscrapers are low. Until we can really complain of having way too many glass high rises built in this build cycle or the next, it's a hyperbole that the city is saturated with glass high rises as some others have suggested.
Please remember when One Franklin Tower was under construction and the public disappointment expressed when the skin was installed. I vaguely recall the objective was to have masonry elements as representative of Philadelphia's extensive brick history. Unfortunately, the banding did nothing to accentuate further expression of the massing. It was tragically static from the very beginning.

Imagine the Aramark tower without the masonry banding. What would happen to the curves expressed in glass? I shall answer for you. They would disappear.

The curves were intended to relate to the strong form expressed by the lower levels of the PSFS building. The relationship between buildings is easily experienced, both consciously and unconsciously. Masonry banding of the Aramark building makes this all possible.

Furthermore, if the palette is limited to blue glass, all buildings become inconsequential. Please to imagine if One Franklin Plaza were surrounded by all blue glass buildings. There would be no distinction of forms, and hence nothing worth looking at. Next time anyone proceeds north on 16th street from JFK Boulevard, consider what that means.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16412  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:05 PM
Justin7 Justin7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Reskin the Aramark Building? I can't believe numerous people are seriously pushing for this. It's such a drastic step to take on a skyscraper. It basically only happens if the facade is compromised structurally or it's so ugly that it presents and impediment to leasing. Clearly neither is the case here, with Jefferson committing space it's basically 100% full.
People need to pay more attention to this post. This forum needs less Sim City and more Economics 101.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16413  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:27 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 429
Aramark is good the way it is; it represents a time in Philadelphia when we were moving from the architecture of brick and concrete to glass which is what we see now. Aramark represents the late 1970's and early 1980's form of office space; it was built around 1984 where Commerce Square was built about 1987 through to the early 1990's so its about continuity.
Also, Aramark represents a time that has yet to be complete; in fact we are completing it hopefully now. When Aramark was built Market East was still Department Stores mostly; Strawbridges, Wanamakers, Lit Brothers, Gimbles; there was a time when you had 6 department stores there but the truth is that Aramark was a part of a shift that includes the Gallery I (which was older then Aramark) Gallery II; and the Rail Commuter tunnel so what have is a link between commuter travel, shopping, and office use that Philadelphia had not seen since they built Suburban station. Aramark represents the 2nd manifestation of this shift and now with the rebuilding of Market East; the eventual connection of the Bus Terminal; we are a part of that 3rd manifestation.

If we enjoy seeing Market East develop; then its probable that Aramark as is gives us some enjoyment; we are continuing today what Aramark started! But since we're all giving views my real hope it to see Lit Brothers Tower go up; and see the 2 towers that the Gallery was designed to have added finally be built.

I really want to see the Gallery Towers built because we now can finish and even exceed at doing what was planned when Aramark was built but never fully realized; now we can really get this done; lets make those towers cutting edge; continue the continuity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16414  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:45 PM
SEFTA's Avatar
SEFTA SEFTA is offline
Philly Pholly
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,289


Good assessment. It is of a period that is currently out of favor. It is not an architectural monument but it was a bold move for urban redevelopment, and they probably took a large risk building there then. It now needs to be surrounded with other towers (even if they're not as tall) and make it a little less dominant in the skyline. It makes the area look dated only because there has been very little built around it since then.
I like the direction East Market is going. I think it's success will only be limited by the larger economy.

Last edited by SEFTA; Dec 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16415  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:57 PM
AbortedWalrus AbortedWalrus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 179
I can't be the only one who actually likes the way Aramark looks, can I?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16416  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:38 PM
Frontst17 Frontst17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 304
Aramark is a gem and I think will stand out in years to come although relatively under appreciated now. The only think I’d say is the glass is a bit dark they can replace that imo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16417  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:45 PM
iamrobk iamrobk is offline
Future World Dictator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
I can't be the only one who actually likes the way Aramark looks, can I?
I like it as well. Not one of my top 10 buildings in the city by any means, but I do like it quite a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16418  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:52 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
I like it as well. Not one of my top 10 buildings in the city by any means, but I do like it quite a bit.


Geez ......
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16419  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:33 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/re...-jewelers-row-tower-philly-20171219.html

Toll gets new permit for Jewelers Row residential tower

Would like to see this happen sooner rather than later. Not sure if it will have an impact on the skyline tho.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16420  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:11 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Here’s What Was Accomplished at Penn’s Pennovation Center This Year

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/business/2017/1...vation-philadelphia/#AUAmzS5IP8gKyFcG.99
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.