HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #16381  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:08 PM
Nova08 Nova08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I wish the landlord would re-skin the building after landing Jefferson as the major tenant. It's probably one of the most dated looking buildings in the area. And if they only do the entrance on 11th and market, it will look weird to keep the rest of the exterior of the building "as is". This is a chance for the building to blend in and also stand out with the revival of the area. Could attract other tenants as well if the building looks newer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Agreed, it's a prominent building and in the forefront of the skyline looking in from almost every angle in the east...and it currently screams "pre-internet age 80's corporate".

Happy to hear Jefferson is taking it over though.
I agree with the opportunity to reskin the building. But the move only accounts for 14 of the 32 floors. I would think a reskin ala the GSK tower requires full vacancy during the work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16382  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:11 PM
Boku Boku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
I agree with the opportunity to reskin the building. But the move only accounts for 14 of the 32 floors. I would think a reskin ala the GSK tower requires full vacancy during the work.
From the article...

Quote:
The health network’s presence at 1101 Market St. means the tower will have little if any vacant space over the next 16 years, Joseph P. Bilson, executive director of the building’s owner, the Girard Estate charitable foundation, said in the release.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16383  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:24 PM
Nova08 Nova08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
From the article...
Sorry I did not complete my thought. I assume a full reskin requires the entire building to be unoccupied and as you pointed out, there are still a number of other tenants and it will be near max once Jefferson moves in. That provides little opportunity for a re-skin, despite how much any of us think it is needed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16384  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:39 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Sorry I did not complete my thought. I assume a full reskin requires the entire building to be unoccupied and as you pointed out, there are still a number of other tenants and it will be near max once Jefferson moves in. That provides little opportunity for a re-skin, despite how much any of us think it is needed.
I believe it can be done while the building is occupied. Here's a real world example:

https://www.buildings.com/article-details/articleid/10834/title/a-total-transformation

And, second article is about the benefits of re-cladding:

https://continuingeducation.bnpmedia.com/article_print.php?C=1332&L=352
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16385  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:52 PM
Parkway's Avatar
Parkway Parkway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 900
I might be in the minority here but I actually like it the way it is. I think if it was re-skinned our kids might kill us ruining a classic building.
__________________
"It's like a giant ball of peanut butter with a stick of Dynamite in the middle."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16386  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 10:32 PM
eixample eixample is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I might be in the minority here but I actually like it the way it is. I think if it was re-skinned our kids might kill us ruining a classic building.
I agree. I think it will be retro cool in just a few years. Maybe the ground floor could use some work though. I am trying to picture it in my head but isn't there kind of a dead wall on 11th...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16387  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 1:50 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I might be in the minority here but I actually like it the way it is. I think if it was re-skinned our kids might kill us ruining a classic building.
I agree with you. I like diversity of architecture. A reskin or something amazing like Steinway of Tower Verre would be one thing. But that’s not what we’d get. We’d get some boring, generic, glass. There are plenty such buildings. Also I like the cladding here much better than the GSK building. That building really needed the updating, and it’s a big improvement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16388  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 1:51 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I agree. I think it will be retro cool in just a few years. Maybe the ground floor could use some work though. I am trying to picture it in my head but isn't there kind of a dead wall on 11th...
Just some bank. Yes, it would be nice to see some better tenants and maybe an update to the ground floor facade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16389  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 8:56 PM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
I actually like the skin on the Aramark Tower. What's wrong with it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16390  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 6:28 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I actually like the skin on the Aramark Tower. What's wrong with it?
+1

It would be fun to take a poll to see how many of us would prefer to keep the current skin with very minor changes, and how many of us would prefer a (realistic) reskin.

I’d wager the current skin would get more votes.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16391  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:35 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
I know ugly when I see it and Aramark is ugly. There's nothing special about this building. It has not stood the test of time in terms of it looks. It's not art deco or beaux-arts or any other style that makes it distinct and attractive. It's like having this sit next to the gallery makes the un-remodeled gallery look acceptable. So, if the gallery is going to get a full make over, so should the Aramark tower. I think all glass with some metal accents could look pleasing to the eyes. Having a more modern looking tower there would be a blessing and a sign of new hope and revival to this part of town. And, if the Nest every comes to fruition, I think having multiple glass towers along the new construction like market east that's not all glass will not only contract but compliment each other to signal growth in to a new and continuing era of change and future development.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Dec 17, 2017 at 5:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16392  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 6:48 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
+1

It would be fun to take a poll to see how many of us would prefer to keep the current skin with very minor changes, and how many of us would prefer a (realistic) reskin.

I’d wager the current skin would get more votes.
Agree. Iheartphilly is in the other camp, evidently. Personally, I'd rather see the Marriott get a new glass skin (and perhaps a new hotel operator). I like that building far less than Aramark. And new tenants. Bloomingdales! We really don't need a T Mobile and other awful tenants that hotel has there. Bloomingdales in 1301 and additional space or the Men's Store in the current Marriott. There are other places where department stores do or will span multiple buildings. Like the Nordstrom's planned for the Central Park Tower in New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16393  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:25 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Reskin the Aramark Building? I can't believe numerous people are seriously pushing for this. It's such a drastic step to take on a skyscraper. It basically only happens if the facade is compromised structurally or it's so ugly that it presents and impediment to leasing. Clearly neither is the case here, with Jefferson committing space it's basically 100% full.

The building isn't an eyesore, it's just an out of style building because it built 30 years ago. It has virtually no chance of being reskinned anytime soon which I'm fine with as I think it looks ok. I remember admiring it in the pictures of east market going up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16394  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 11:47 PM
jjv007 jjv007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 669
And it's not even out of style, just different. I think some of you would be happy if the whole skyline was 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 clear glassy blue-gray like the Comcast Towers, Liberty Place, FMC, etc. The soon-to-be former Aramark is a unique, classy building with solid proportions and well-incorporated curves. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not even close to being a candidate for reskinning in any universe. It's not like it needs to be 10/10 or bust.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16395  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:28 AM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Clark Park, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,035
Has anyone else on iPhone on this sub forum been getting these very annoying pop up ads that redirect you to a page full of viruses?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16396  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:56 AM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Philly
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Has anyone else on iPhone on this sub forum been getting these very annoying pop up ads that redirect you to a page full of viruses?
Yes. Very annoying.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16397  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:15 AM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Me too
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16398  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:18 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
And it's not even out of style, just different. I think some of you would be happy if the whole skyline was 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 clear glassy blue-gray like the Comcast Towers, Liberty Place, FMC, etc. The soon-to-be former Aramark is a unique, classy building with solid proportions and well-incorporated curves. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not even close to being a candidate for reskinning in any universe. It's not like it needs to be 10/10 or bust.
The former GSK headquarters at 16th & Vine now re-skinned and branded as One Franklin Tower in glass. Not unusual. New tower looks way better than old. Plus Philly's ratio of glass to masonry skyscrapers are low. Until we can really complain of having way too many glass high rises built in this build cycle or the next, it's a hyperbole that the city is saturated with glass high rises as some others have suggested.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Dec 18, 2017 at 2:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16399  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:23 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
And it's not even out of style, just different. I think some of you would be happy if the whole skyline was 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 clear glassy blue-gray like the Comcast Towers, Liberty Place, FMC, etc. The soon-to-be former Aramark is a unique, classy building with solid proportions and well-incorporated curves. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not even close to being a candidate for reskinning in any universe. It's not like it needs to be 10/10 or bust.
I agree. I think this building is probably about 10 years from being really appreciated again.


(credit: Emporis)
__________________
I've been living under a rock.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16400  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:58 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
The former GSK headquarters at 16th & Vine now re-skinned and branded as One Franklin Tower in glass. Not unusual. New tower looks way better than old. Plus Philly's ratio of glass to masonry skyscrapers are low. Until we can really complain of having way too many glass high rises built in this build cycle or the next, it's a hyperbole that the city is saturated with glass high rises as some others have suggested.
GSK building was far uglier and more dated than Aramark, but in any event, it had significant vacancies for long periods and was entirely refitted as a mixed use building with a heavy residential component and thus needed modernization for business reasons. It's obviously subjective, but I don't even think the Aramark building is ugly. I think it has a timeless quality about it and adds architectural diversity. Judging by the responses here, many others also agree with this. It's reasonably fair to say the city is saturated glass high rises once you get past a certainly point. Aramark building is 417 feet. There aren't too many non-glassy buildings of that size in the city. Too few in fact.

I am already tired of the glass going up and hope we have the budget and wherewithal in the coming decades to try and follow New York, which is moving on with towers like Verre and Steinway. Philadelphia may be saved from all the boring, one-dimensional glass buildings by really hitting its stride a little later. Glass buildings can be great as well but are too often boring and mindless.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.