Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
The townships actually are very official, because property rights are still based on them. If you own land up here, you don't own "Parcel whatever in Thunder Bay", you own "Parcel whatever in Neebing Additional Township". It will appear on birth certificates and ID as well if you live in unincorporated area, though your mailing address will use whatever name Canada Post has chosen (and those change periodically). Someone living northwest of Thunder Bay will be in the township of Ware, which Statistics Canada calls Lappe, but Canada Post calls Kaministiquia, and they're probably referring to it as Kivikoski.
|
The ID and birth certificate thing is interesting - I had no idea about that one!
In terms of legal property description, that's the same as how it works everywhere in Ontario. The legal description of the property I live at still says "Township of York" in there somewhere.
When I said irrelevant I meant primarily in terms of service delivery and land use planning. For service delivery at a provincial level townships aren't a consideration at all other than convenient boundaries. Everything is based on the DSSABs. The one exception is the OPP in unincorporated areas, however they use Townships as a location identifier more than anything else - it has not bearing on funding. Planning boards don't necessarily follow township boundaries, nor do school boards, local service boards or roads boards. They don't delineate tax rates outside of municipalities either.