HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5561  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:07 PM
AndyMEng AndyMEng is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Interesting. I wonder how they drain the water.
I can't find a photo, but I've seen the leaky stations for the tunnelbana. They've got decorative 'trees' that grow from the station platform. The trunks are drain pipes, looping around to the ceiling, holding a 12" diameter pan to catch the drips. Some of the trees are gigantic. Really an awesome solution.
     
     
  #5562  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:49 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
I can't find a photo, but I've seen the leaky stations for the tunnelbana. They've got decorative 'trees' that grow from the station platform. The trunks are drain pipes, looping around to the ceiling, holding a 12" diameter pan to catch the drips. Some of the trees are gigantic. Really an awesome solution.
Sounds cool. Although I could see that if Ottawa were trying to minimize costs they would just slap on concrete.
     
     
  #5563  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:59 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Sounds cool. Although I could see that if Ottawa were trying to minimize costs they would just slap on concrete.
I'm not sure "just slapping on concrete" describes the engineering treatment that was required for Ottawa's downtown transit tunnel through rather porous and fractured shales and mudstones.
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
     
     
  #5564  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 5:46 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
We could have had a waterfall just west of Rideau Station. It could have been a natural train wash, except one day the missing van might have come through.
     
     
  #5565  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:19 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I'm not sure "just slapping on concrete" describes the engineering treatment that was required for Ottawa's downtown transit tunnel through rather porous and fractured shales and mudstones.
Agreed. They are making a reinforced concrete tube.

Also, just to be clear, even though, as you said, Stockholm's geology is essentially Canadian Shield, Ottawa's tunnel isn't going through the Canadian Shield.
     
     
  #5566  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:47 PM
AndyMEng AndyMEng is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Agreed. They are making a reinforced concrete tube.

Also, just to be clear, even though, as you said, Stockholm's geology is essentially Canadian Shield, Ottawa's tunnel isn't going through the Canadian Shield.
In Ottawa they're using a new blind-side style of waterproofing membrane, which is a big thick sheet of rubber, with a few encapsulated layers (the yellow in the photos). This is placed first before concrete is cast, hence why it's called 'blindside' waterproofing. There is a grid of valves cast into the concrete tunnel wall which are monolithic with the rubber membrane. If water leaks through defects in the membrane(s) and through the concrete (which shouldn't be too cracked as it is an arch in compression), the valve port can be opened and pressure-grouted with a crystalline cementitious mix to fill voids and cracks behind the membrane layer, thus trying to plug the leak from the backside. It's a complicated system and I've never seen it work, but it sounds like it makes sense.
     
     
  #5567  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:12 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMEng View Post
In Ottawa they're using a new blind-side style of waterproofing membrane, which is a big thick sheet of rubber, with a few encapsulated layers (the yellow in the photos). This is placed first before concrete is cast, hence why it's called 'blindside' waterproofing. There is a grid of valves cast into the concrete tunnel wall which are monolithic with the rubber membrane. If water leaks through defects in the membrane(s) and through the concrete (which shouldn't be too cracked as it is an arch in compression), the valve port can be opened and pressure-grouted with a crystalline cementitious mix to fill voids and cracks behind the membrane layer, thus trying to plug the leak from the backside. It's a complicated system and I've never seen it work, but it sounds like it makes sense.
That is interesting. Thanks for sharing. It is still reinforced concrete though, right?
     
     
  #5568  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:37 PM
PHrenetic PHrenetic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
That is interesting. Thanks for sharing. It is still reinforced concrete though, right?
Good Day....

yup.... full meshed rebar and pressure-fed concrete into the moving tunnel forms. The rebar mesh is what peeled back and trapped the three workers in their cherry-picker as they were wiring it up into place in the tunnel ceiling just in from the east portal a bit ago, attaching it to tie-backs planted through the membrane into the shotcrete initial tunnel lining and the rock in behind.
     
     
  #5569  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 10:05 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Lot of movement at Lyon Stations' Podium Building entrance. They've removed the plywood from the opening and are now installing what I assume are the window frames.
     
     
  #5570  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 2:36 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Agreed. They are making a reinforced concrete tube.

Also, just to be clear, even though, as you said, Stockholm's geology is essentially Canadian Shield, Ottawa's tunnel isn't going through the Canadian Shield.
Intimately aware of that, as I have a nice little collection going of fossils from those same strata that the tunnel was mined out of.
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
     
     
  #5571  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 11:17 PM
Vanier Vanier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Intimately aware of that, as I have a nice little collection going of fossils from those same strata that the tunnel was mined out of.
Ordovician trilobites (pseudogygites latimarginatus) from the shale deposit of the Billings Formation? I've collected a few of those over the years.
     
     
  #5572  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:23 AM
Hybrid247 Hybrid247 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,320
     
     
  #5573  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 12:59 PM
PHrenetic PHrenetic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,029
Good Day....

a small item by a supplier on the wired rubble vertical walls by the west tunnel entrance and other spots : Nilex :

http://nilex.com/projects/ottawa-lrt-confederation-line-mse-wall-solutions
and within, a PDF :
http://nilex.com/sites/default/files/Ott...ne%20MSE%20Walls%20Project%20Profile.pdf

just a spot of interest.
EnJoy!
     
     
  #5574  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 2:38 PM
Radster Radster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 997
Will bicycles be allowed on board? If so, I assume only in a designated area? I really liked what I saw in the Portland Light Rail system, the trains had designated bike areas where it was mandatory to essentially hang your bike from a special hook - even on a crowded train, my bike was not in the way and it was super easy to unhook and unload since this bike area was right by a set of doors.
     
     
  #5575  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 3:12 PM
OCCheetos OCCheetos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Will bicycles be allowed on board? If so, I assume only in a designated area? I really liked what I saw in the Portland Light Rail system, the trains had designated bike areas where it was mandatory to essentially hang your bike from a special hook - even on a crowded train, my bike was not in the way and it was super easy to unhook and unload since this bike area was right by a set of doors.
I think it's been said that bikes will be allowed in designated areas, but it wasn't clear if this would be the case during peak periods.
     
     
  #5576  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:50 PM
MoreTrains MoreTrains is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 858
I still cant get over the number of seats that they maintained in the train sets. Very much a commuter train more so than a metroesque train. I understand there are some spots with elevated floor planes due to clearance for suspension and wheels, but the remainder of the seating is what makes the buses so difficult to navigate during rush hour in the first place.
     
     
  #5577  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:45 PM
Kitchissippi's Avatar
Kitchissippi Kitchissippi is offline
Busy Beaver
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
I still cant get over the number of seats that they maintained in the train sets. Very much a commuter train more so than a metroesque train. I understand there are some spots with elevated floor planes due to clearance for suspension and wheels, but the remainder of the seating is what makes the buses so difficult to navigate during rush hour in the first place.
Many of the seats go over the bogies and wheel wells so they are not optional, even if you removed them there would be mounds. In fact most of the flat areas are dedicated to open space with foldable seats. That's the main disadvantage of low-floor vehicles.
     
     
  #5578  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:35 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
I still cant get over the number of seats that they maintained in the train sets. Very much a commuter train more so than a metroesque train. I understand there are some spots with elevated floor planes due to clearance for suspension and wheels, but the remainder of the seating is what makes the buses so difficult to navigate during rush hour in the first place.
That's precisely what it is though; commuter rail built to metro standards, like BART in San Francisco (but with light rail instead of heavy rail). The primary use of this train is to get suburbanites downtown. The urban subway aspect is just a happy coincidence.

In other news, Queen Street west bound now has a turning lane to Lyon north bound, i.e. Lyon is now a two-way street for two blocks instead of just one. This was probably done to accommodate the post-rail STO routes.
     
     
  #5579  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:12 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanier View Post
Ordovician trilobites (pseudogygites latimarginatus) from the shale deposit of the Billings Formation? I've collected a few of those over the years.
I think I have at least three or four different species; what's under New Edinburgh? Is that Billings as well?
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
     
     
  #5580  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:13 AM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
I think it's been said that bikes will be allowed in designated areas, but it wasn't clear if this would be the case during peak periods.
IIRC, velocipedes will be welcome outside peak hours.
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.