HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #941  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:52 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
While the above paragraph is true, it is really stretching it to say there was any wide mainstream interest in basketball after the one and only season of the Huskies until the Raps came along. Commissioner Stern has even stated the league didn't want/need a team in Toronto but the owners got greedy for an expansion fee.
Well, sports themselves like baseball and basketball have long roots in Canada. The US-based leagues themselves? That might be up for debate.

I guess if ever the NFL does come to Toronto people might then say it has long roots in the city because people have been watching it on TV for decades there, and gridiron football has long roots in the city (even if with the Canadian variety).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #942  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:00 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
So remind me CFL fanboys that bash almost every other league as American only, what percentage of CFL players are American? About 50% right? Such a Canadian sport. The CFL the place where those who can't get into the NFL end up.

source: http://www.crazywebsite.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #943  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:09 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Like I said, eat it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #944  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:55 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The CFL the place where those who can't get into the NFL end up.
It's always rewarding to educate the uninformed, here is one of the latest examples for you to sit under the learning tree. I always find it so strange why anyone would bash something in their own country, I can't think of anywhere else that does it.

Adam has climbed a lot of big hills – Interview with LB Adam Bighill
Tyler Raymon whodatdish.com September 6 2017

His journey to the NFL wasn’t easy, but it was certainly worth the time and effort. Starting off at Montesano Washington High School, to Central Washington University, then to the CFL with the BC Lions, and now in the National Football League. One of the New Orleans Saints most popular players is starting to live his life long dream, and he couldn’t be happier.

Talking with Adam Bighill

Tyler: What would you say personally is the biggest difference between the NFL and the CFL?

Adam: The NFL game is more physical. However coming from the CFL, the NFL Game to me is slower. I can play extremely fast since my eyes and reactions have been trained to see more and quicker in the CFL.

Tyler: How have you been preparing physically during the off-season?

Adam: I played in the CFL anywhere from 222-230. I have made sure that I’m 235-240 down here.

Also, with the field being wider, there’s more space to cover. You have to really excel as an athlete to cover man to man up there, as well as just running sideline to sideline to make plays.
Tyler: Who do you think will be the next big CFL star to come to the NFL?

Adam: That’s a good question. There are plenty of great players up there that somehow slid through the cracks.


Tyler: I’m sure you know by now, but in case you don’t, you’ve quickly become a fan favorite for Saints fans. Is there anything you’d like to say to get everyone excited about the season, or what’s to come from you personally?

Adam: Yes of course. Thank you to everyone out there who has shown me love. My passion for this game is immense, and I’m willing to work harder then anyone to be the best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #945  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 6:57 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Finally a win against Calgary and boy oh boy did Reilly show how tough he is tonight.
Didn't see any of the game, but it sounded like a good one! Stamps have come crashing back down to earth, need to get their 🞵🞵🞵🞵 together or they are going to miss another championship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #946  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:48 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,813
Ah yes, Toronto deserves it all, while the rest of the country gets a few crumbs and unending coverage of their illustrious sports teams that more often than not, lose. I cannot get excited by any Toronto team. I don't live there and I don't plan on living there so I have no interest. Baseball is an American game as is the NFL as is the NBA. Yes, Basketball was created by a Canadian who was living in the United States at the time. I was brought up with Canadian sports, hockey and CFL and that is what I support.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #947  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:42 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
There's always more to a game than the rules or product on the field. These are areas the CFL/Argos in Toronto haven't capitalized on in generations. I've never felt Toronto as a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵 football city. Even the CFL's moderately successful "Made in Canada" campaigns are getting tired given our cosmopolitan, global population.

The NFL will attract a broader audience not because it's American but, it's a large league with a massive marketing budget and tons of extras for fans that don't even like football.. Still, a Toronto team at the best of times probably would sit be middle of the pack performance wise once the new leather smell wears off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #948  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:08 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
The Argos are a mystery today and while I agree with a few sentiments in the post above I don't know if I am ready to permanently write them off just yet.

Depending on how young you are and the poster above is likely too young to remember the heyday of the Argos when it was just hockey and football that dominated the local sports scene.

The Argos are first and foremost the victims of their own ineptitude and an incredible piece of bad luck along the way.

Where the situation is today re: sharing BMO is exactly where it was intended to be years ago with the CSA and the Argos sharing a stadium at U of T. The university backed out of the deal and the Argos (in hindsight) made one poor decision after another after that.

Add to that Braley conversely saving and killing the franchise and you get to where we are today with the Argos trying to dig themselves out of a big hole.

Also added to that are the NFL trolls and whatever their motivation is to knock the league needlessly and more recently the TFC trolls who actively and insidiously campaign against the Argos. That seems to have lessened significantly as the sky is falling predictions of the Argos going to BMO haven't come to fruition.

The TFC trolls only came out of the woodwork when the stadium sharing issue came forth. Until then their antipathy was pointed at baseball. They would try to denigrate ball players as fat and out of shape in the vain hope that would somehow elevate soccer in people's eyes.

And add to that a hostile local media led by Sportsnet who not only can't see fit to mention a rival's sports property (somewhat excusable) but actively campaign against it (totally inexcusable) This also seems to have abated somewhat as they seem to have caught some badwill and blowback over what they were so obviously doing.

Now I'm not saying any of the above has singlehandedly put the Argos in the poor position they are today re: attendance, but they surely haven't helped.

It's just too difficult to tell that with the good ownership the Argos have whether they can dig themselves out of the hole they are in. Historically CFL attendance in the big 3 markets is notoriously cyclical. Almost all the CFL teams have been near death at one time or another and most have bounced back spectacularly.

This portrays the cyclical nature of the Argo attendance. I don't know if anyone has the answer on how to resurrect the franchise if it is even possible but I do know groups needlessly kicking them when they are down doesn't help.



There is a fantastic documentary out there called "The Greatest Team That Never Won" which shows the Argos when they owned the town in the 70s. I particularly enjoyed the colour footage of the Ex in the 70s with the chewed up turf and mud (a real historic document)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #949  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:49 AM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,813
So many Canadians are caught up with the hype of the NFL but something I don't understand is how people can get emotionally involved with foreign teams compared to cheering for (or against) a team in your own city. To a degree this is supported by the less than stellar attendance when the Buffalo Bills played games in Toronto. It wasn't Toronto's team. The challenge of bringing the NFL to Canada (or any foreign country) is the enormous cost of running NFL franchises especially given the instability of exchange rates. There is the perennial argument of whether we are better off with one NFL franchise versus 9 CFL franchises. I don't see the two coexisting. The NFL bandwaggoners in Canada would quickly destroy the viability of the CFL once that one team arrived in Canada. There will be big risks to those who buy a franchise (likely one of big corps owning the sports networks) as there will likely be a backlash against the core business of the company and the sports network involved. Personally, I would likely dump any business that I do with that company. There will also be serious political risks of putting any taxpayer money into an NFL sized stadium in Toronto at the expense of the CFL.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Oct 31, 2017 at 3:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #950  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:28 AM
cjones2451's Avatar
cjones2451 cjones2451 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Port Moody, BC
Posts: 889
My 2 cents

Toronto is not a lost cause. They had 15K last game, they need to get 10-12K more per game which is not unheard of. They need to keep at it, look at the ticket structure and pricing and keep winning, it may take 3-5 more years but every team it seems had had its death watch (maybe not the Esks) and have bounced back

The thing I am finding with the people who like the NFL only (or and not the CFL) seems to be the follow

1- the perception that it is the best (yes athletes will play where they make the most money) and with the easy accessibility to watching on US or CTV /TSN it is flashy, glizty and all that. CFL only has 9 teams so it can't be as good as the 32 team NFL.

2 - social aspect, fantasy football - almost everyone I talk to that is into the NFL plays fantasy football and gets together with the buds to compare teams, brag, etc. the football almost seems secondary, then they play Madden after the game

CFL is getting it. They have fantasy football, CFL Frenzy game hopefully is a leap to a full PC / Console game.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #951  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:50 PM
rotten42's Avatar
rotten42 rotten42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Didn't see any of the game, but it sounded like a good one! Stamps have come crashing back down to earth, need to get their 🞵🞵🞵🞵 together or they are going to miss another championship.
I think all the injuries have finally caught up to the Stamps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #952  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:26 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I think all the injuries have finally caught up to the Stamps.
Nothing that every team doesn't put up with to some extent... it's a bit of an equalizing factor. But even in spite of those losses I don't know how the Stamps wouldn't be overwhelming favourite in the playoffs this season.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #953  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:59 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
My 2 cents

Toronto is not a lost cause. They had 15K last game, they need to get 10-12K more per game which is not unheard of. They need to keep at it, look at the ticket structure and pricing and keep winning, it may take 3-5 more years but every team it seems had had its death watch (maybe not the Esks) and have bounced back

The thing I am finding with the people who like the NFL only (or and not the CFL) seems to be the follow

1- the perception that it is the best (yes athletes will play where they make the most money) and with the easy accessibility to watching on US or CTV /TSN it is flashy, glizty and all that. CFL only has 9 teams so it can't be as good as the 32 team NFL.

2 - social aspect, fantasy football - almost everyone I talk to that is into the NFL plays fantasy football and gets together with the buds to compare teams, brag, etc. the football almost seems secondary, then they play Madden after the game

CFL is getting it. They have fantasy football, CFL Frenzy game hopefully is a leap to a full PC / Console game.
Fantasy football/betting on games is a HUGE draw to the NFL. If there was none of that, I guarantee the game wouldn't be as big as it is. I'm only an NFL fan for that reason alone.

If the CFL got on board with a good fantasy concept and offered decent prizes, people would be more into it. What they're offering right now isn't going to attract anyone.

And put the big game(Grey Cup) on CTV! With people streaming so much now and not owning cable, CTV and the Grey Cup would be a great option. The exposure is much greater than having it on TSN.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #954  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 8:23 PM
EpicPonyTime's Avatar
EpicPonyTime EpicPonyTime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Yellowfork
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
So many Canadians are caught up with the hype of the NFL but something I don't understand is how people can get emotionally involved with foreign teams compared to cheering for (or against) a team in your own city. To a degree this is supported by the less than stellar attendance when the Buffalo Bills played games in Toronto. It wasn't Toronto's team. The challenge of bringing the NFL to Canada (or any foreign country) is the enormous cost of running NFL franchises especially given the instability of exchange rates. There is the perennial argument of whether we are better off with one NFL franchise versus 9 CFL franchises. I don't see the two coexisting. The NFL bandwaggoners in Canada would quickly destroy the viability of the CFL once that one team arrived in Canada. There will be big risks to those who buy a franchise (likely one of big corps owning the sports networks) as there will likely be a backlash against the core business of the company and the sports network involved. Personally, I would likely dump any business that I do with that company. There will also be serious political risks of putting any taxpayer money into an NFL sized stadium in Toronto at the expense of the CFL.
This is something that I've hard a hard time understanding as well. Sports doesn't mean anything to me if it doesn't involve a team representing somewhere I am either from or I identify with. Both the Riders and the Rush do that and I'm invested in their success since it's Saskatoon/Saskatchewan against everyone else.

Contrast that with the NHL. Saskatchewan doesn't have a team and I find it a lot harder to maintain the same level of interest. The respect for the skill level and the players is still there, but that respect isn't going to drive me to buy a jersey or travel five hours to see a team play.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #955  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 12:51 AM
jawagord's Avatar
jawagord jawagord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,703
Buckley to start for Stamps vs Bombers

It's been 32 years since a Canadian (Greg Vavra) started for the Stamps, now it's Buckley's turn. Hope the kid doesn't 🞵🞵🞵🞵 the bed in the snow!

http://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cf...ey-eager-for-first-start-with-stampeders
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #956  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 11:00 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
It's been 32 years since a Canadian (Greg Vavra) started for the Stamps, now it's Buckley's turn. Hope the kid doesn't 🞵🞵🞵🞵 the bed in the snow!
Everybody knows how pro Canadian I am but I think Buckley's been screwed compared to other backups in the league.

He did see a fair amount of game action on 3rd downs last year but far less this year and he seems to be fighting with Stanzi for the zero amount of playing time this year. He earned that spot and yet he still has to fight for a chance.

BLM has been remarkably healthy over his career and Dickenson seems reluctant to take him out of any games. I can remember when BLM was pretty equal to Brad Sinopoli in training camp, makes me wonder what would have happened if the nod went to Sinopoli.

I have a lot of empathy for Buckley because DD has never been particularly praise worthy and BLM threw Buckley under the bus at the Grey Cup when BLM himself couldn't get the job done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #957  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 1:30 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Calgary-Winnipeg is going to be a weird game... both teams clearly want to rest starters for the playoffs so we get backup QBs starting and presumably backups elsewhere on the field giving it a bit of preseason flavour, but neither team can really afford to give it away either. The Bombers most obviously need the win to clinch the home playoff game, but I'm sure the Stamps must feel at least some sense of urgency to correct things and not go into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #958  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:39 PM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,854
The Calgary Winnipeg game is going to be brutal. -18 with the wind chill in the evening according to the forecast

I was at the Winnipeg - hamilton east final 6 years ago and the temperature was right around the same mark - minus 17 or minus 18 with the wind chill. I came prepared though - double and triple layers of clothing plus hot pockets!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #959  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:43 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ That is cold for a regular season game. I've never skipped a game that I had tickets for, but this is one that I'd consider passing on in favour of watching on TV if I were in Calgary!

Between the weather and the backup QB factor, I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing an extremely run-heavy game.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #960  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:10 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That is cold for a regular season game. I've never skipped a game that I had tickets for, but this is one that I'd consider passing on in favour of watching on TV if I were in Calgary!

Between the weather and the backup QB factor, I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing an extremely run-heavy game.
Well, not really as it turned out. Just a non-offence game generally. Calgary and Montreal looked like high school teams tonight.

Hamilton would be my odds-on favourite to win the Grey Cup if only they had actually made the playoffs. At some point people have to start showing Masoli some respect. He's getting better all the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:53 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.