HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15321  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:05 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I am trying to see by the picture posted in the Blackwell article but can't tell for sure. Is this the setup where the bike lane is to the left (looking east) of the parked cars? Like they do in NYC and a few other places? I really like that set up and hope it is. I feel that is much safer.
Yes, with physical posts marking the boundary between the parking and the bike lane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15322  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:09 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I am trying to see by the picture posted in the Blackwell article but can't tell for sure. Is this the setup where the bike lane is to the left (looking east) of the parked cars? Like they do in NYC and a few other places? I really like that set up and hope it is. I feel that is much safer.

And yes, Blackwell is an idiot but she's smart enough to take advantage of an even dumber electorate who continues to elect her by wide margins to the point that I don't think she even faces opposition.
yeah if someone wants to challenge in that district they should. But most of these relative newcomers do nothing but complain- they aren't willing to put anything on the line to change things in a real way. You don't even need high turnout to win. If Feibush hadn't alienated so many people he could've beaten Johnson but unfortunately he is arrogant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15323  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 2:43 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
One Franklin Tower's looking good. The model apartment is staged hideously, though. For a 90 year old grandma at the best. Not well-thought if they want to attract a young population. I somehow get an email from Nancy Alperin of Maxwell Realty on this every day. "Philadelphia's NEWEST LUXURY RESIDENTIAL Community, FRANKLIN TOWER" Also, one on "Art Museum Area OASIS!!!!!!!!!!!! A MUST SEE!!!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15324  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 4:12 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Philadelphia 1,576,000

Search for this on Wiki Travel
Search for this on Google

According to a site called " List challenges " this was the city population at the end of 2016 .

Everything is subject to change or interpretation but if true , Philly just may get back over 1.6
million by the 2020 census ..... Hope there are jobs to match .
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15325  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 5:06 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Philadelphia 1,576,000

Search for this on Wiki Travel
Search for this on Google

According to a site called " List challenges " this was the city population at the end of 2016 .

Everything is subject to change or interpretation but if true , Philly just may get back over 1.6
million by the 2020 census ..... Hope there are jobs to match .
job growth has been strong in last few years. I think we are over 700k jobs now
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15326  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:25 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
One Franklin Tower is Moving Along Nicely





Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/logan-square/one-franklin-tower-moving-along-nicely
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15327  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 8:25 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15328  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 9:19 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Dumb 🞵🞵🞵 article.

Article reads as: "There is only a luxury condo market in Center City. There is no luxury condo market outside of Center City as everybody is buying townhomes/rowhomes."

My response: "Yeah, no 🞵🞵🞵🞵 Sherlock."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15329  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:55 AM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Dumb 🞵🞵🞵 article.

Article reads as: "There is only a luxury condo market in Center City. There is no luxury condo market outside of Center City as everybody is buying townhomes/rowhomes."

My response: "Yeah, no 🞵🞵🞵🞵 Sherlock."
Could also read:

"People don't move to cities to live in gated communities".

End story.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15330  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:47 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
luxury condos

I get that there's more profit in building and selling condos in the $1M plus price market. The added costs to build for that market is more then offset by the increased profit. The risk factor is lower.

But what I don't understand is if there isn't enough profit to be made in building and marketing condos for the sub $1M market. I think the demand for a nice basic 2 bedroom condo for around $7-900K would be substantial, and is untapped. Since the 'boundaries' of CC housing have been pushed out, and if zoning were to allow such developments, I think high rise condos could be sold that weren't in what has been considered prime areas. Such as S. Board between South and Washington Ave.

And if they didn't sell, they could be rented out, since that market seems to be continuing to be successful.

What do other people think?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15331  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:22 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I get that there's more profit in building and selling condos in the $1M plus price market. The added costs to build for that market is more then offset by the increased profit. The risk factor is lower.

But what I don't understand is if there isn't enough profit to be made in building and marketing condos for the sub $1M market. I think the demand for a nice basic 2 bedroom condo for around $7-900K would be substantial, and is untapped. Since the 'boundaries' of CC housing have been pushed out, and if zoning were to allow such developments, I think high rise condos could be sold that weren't in what has been considered prime areas. Such as S. Board between South and Washington Ave.

And if they didn't sell, they could be rented out, since that market seems to be continuing to be successful.

What do other people think?
I think a new building that wasn't aiming at the very top of the market would do well. Not sure why no one is trying to do one though. Instead they are doing super premium units that can only appeal to a tiny slice of the area population. The fact that 500 walnut is still only 2/3 sold after all of this time is interesting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15332  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:54 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I get that there's more profit in building and selling condos in the $1M plus price market. The added costs to build for that market is more then offset by the increased profit. The risk factor is lower.

But what I don't understand is if there isn't enough profit to be made in building and marketing condos for the sub $1M market. I think the demand for a nice basic 2 bedroom condo for around $7-900K would be substantial, and is untapped. Since the 'boundaries' of CC housing have been pushed out, and if zoning were to allow such developments, I think high rise condos could be sold that weren't in what has been considered prime areas. Such as S. Board between South and Washington Ave.

And if they didn't sell, they could be rented out, since that market seems to be continuing to be successful.

What do other people think?
I'd love to see South and North Broad Street lined with simple 10-20 story non-luxury buildings. Similar to the 1950's Airlites built in the NE and other neighborhoods (and also similar to the red brick apartment buildings that went up throughout NYC during the same era). 1200 foot, 2-3 bedrooms, limited parking (for an extra fee) - no pool, Viking appliances, balconies, doorman, or any other frills.

My guess is that there isn't as much money in this demographic....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15333  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:28 PM
eixample eixample is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 439
There is some money in that demographic, but if you can get your own 500K-1M house, why buy a condo for the same price? Particularly for younger people who don't care that much about the no maintenance advantage of a condo.

Last edited by eixample; Aug 31, 2017 at 6:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15334  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 5:33 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I get that there's more profit in building and selling condos in the $1M plus price market. The added costs to build for that market is more then offset by the increased profit. The risk factor is lower.

But what I don't understand is if there isn't enough profit to be made in building and marketing condos for the sub $1M market. I think the demand for a nice basic 2 bedroom condo for around $7-900K would be substantial, and is untapped. Since the 'boundaries' of CC housing have been pushed out, and if zoning were to allow such developments, I think high rise condos could be sold that weren't in what has been considered prime areas. Such as S. Board between South and Washington Ave.

And if they didn't sell, they could be rented out, since that market seems to be continuing to be successful.

What do other people think?
I'll just quote myself from a page or so ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
^^Are mid-market (not ultra, high-end luxury) condos just not profitable? It seems a no-brainer to me, with so many millennials willing to pay $2500/mth for a rental...and baby boomers wanting to sell there $800,000 home in Paoli and keep a large chunk to add to their nest egg, but downsize and move into the city with no yard/maintenance... why are we not seeing more new condos built in the $400-$500k range?

Instead of 56 units over 28 floors, you condense a bit and do 100 units...I find it hard to believe, that in a building like this you can find a way to build 3-4 units/floor. I guess i just know several people who are in this exact marketspace and have complained to me that outside of a few choices (like The Ellington, The Phoenix, Academy House) - there's just no inventory in this range.

Seems like a big hole in the market of what we're seeing built right now.
So i mostly agree with you - though I think $900k for a "basic 2 bedroom condo" is a pretty steep and prices most millennials and a lot of Gen Xers out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15335  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:21 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Movies and shopping a fix for downtown Philly? It's a hit in Stone Harbor

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/mo...-its-a-hit-in-stone-harbor-20170831.html

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15336  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:24 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Wrong thread.

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 1, 2017 at 3:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15337  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:16 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 534
Delete.

Last edited by Milksteak; Sep 1, 2017 at 4:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15338  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:33 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
This is turning into the new normal. At first I was skeptical about the KOP Town Center, it's most definitely a sterilized version of an urban environment, but after driving through there it's actually kind of a cool concept. My biggest problem is that there are neglected Main Streets and 'Town Centers' scattered across the region that already have an existing infrastructure begging to be rehabbed. These concepts are acknowledging that people want to live where they play, then plopping that down in the middle of a field or golf course.

I'm sure from a developer's standpoint, it's much easier to build from the ground up in an untapped environment rather than dealing with all of the infrastructure issues and small government problems (not to mention NIMBYs) that existing towns have, I'm just all for fixing what we have before starting over.
Meant to post these in the Metro Development Thread, lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15339  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:03 PM
Milksteak Milksteak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Meant to post these in the Metro Development Thread, lol.
I made note of that and carried on anyways haha...I've moved my response to the metro thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15340  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:08 PM
ePlanningPhila ePlanningPhila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 100
Broad + Pine revised Proposal.
28 Floors.

I am having trouble uploading images but the new renderings are available. The building is 28 stories, but slightly taller than the earlier proposal for the location. Although I must say I preferred the brick facade of the earlier proposal. This looks like a One Riverside II in aspect of design.

Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcie398upjd61ri/21623_Broad%2BPine_CDRpackage_small.pdf?dl=0
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.