Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487
was the original color of the iron the same as the stone? Somehow I doubt that. It looks different partially because it is different. Colors are picked by the entity that does the design work- i.e. 3rd party architects. Unless they were totally incompetent there is probably some reason why they used that color.
|
Be a sport and read post 546 in this thread.
From what I remember the tower was suppose to be painted to look like stone. I have no idea if that meant all the way to Billy Penn's feet or to some other logical cut off point. Its just something I heard and have definitely seen in print (which means very little)
This fits with what else I've heard, but I can't confirm this, that the tower was built separately and at a later time from the rest of the building, and construction was stopped at the line where the stone stops because of some cracking in the foundation and concerns that building the rest of the tower out of stone wasn't possible because of the weight. So for a number of years City hall just sat there with a unfinished tower. I have no idea if that time was because of a lack money, a change in design taste, or time to find a way to finish the tower using different materials. But when it was finally finished I've read that it was painted to match the stone.
Now even if I'm in my 60's, that was before my time. It was also before color photos were common. So I can't speak from any personal experience, other then what I heard and read.