HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1981  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:03 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I think there's a famous city across the pond where they might disagree with that statement. Having ridden double deckers here fairly frequently they actually don't dwell as long as you think, as long as people understand double decker etiquette (move downstairs a stop ahead). Newbies though hold up the process. Now where I live, I take the 1..er...6 frequently and really wish they'd run double deckers on weekdays and not just weekends. I usually get an artic on the way into work which is also okay, but on the way home it's always a packed to the gills 40 footer.
This is something I always noticed in Ottawa.. it seems that a lot of routes run with artics in the morning but 40-footers in the afternoon. What gives? Where do all those artics from the morning go?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1982  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:20 AM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
London's double deckers are better designed for flow.. they have multiple stairs going up. Furthermore Europeans in general are much better than Canadians at being efficient users, so they get to/from their seats a lot faster.
One other difference between London and Ottawa is that Londoners have decades of experience using consistently using DD buses. Here they are still quite new and with them only sporadically being used, many haven't used them frequently.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1983  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:06 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
One other difference between London and Ottawa is that Londoners have decades of experience using consistently using DD buses. Here they are still quite new and with them only sporadically being used, many haven't used them frequently.
Dear Lord, in Ottawa, people can't even figure out how to get rear doors to open, despite every single one of them being furnished with instructions in English, French, and non-linguistic pictorial glyphs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1984  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:40 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
I wonder what happened to the fare gate project... seems to have stalled and the website now just says "in the coming months" and not this summer as had been said before.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1985  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 8:53 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I wonder what happened to the fare gate project... seems to have stalled and the website now just says "in the coming months" and not this summer as had been said before.
Everything has come to a total halt at Greenboro. They started building a ticket vending booth just outside Greenboro station and it just suddenly stopped. It is sitting there as a partially built shell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1986  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 10:22 PM
SkeggsEggs SkeggsEggs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 410
Maybe there are issues making the Carleton bus pass a smart pass?

Edit: Nevermind! Picked up my upass and it's the new one you can tap.

Last edited by SkeggsEggs; Aug 10, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1987  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:02 AM
Beedok Beedok is online now
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Dear Lord, in Ottawa, people can't even figure out how to get rear doors to open, despite every single one of them being furnished with instructions in English, French, and non-linguistic pictorial glyphs.
What I don't understand is why Ottawa can't just be like a normal city with the driver opening the doors. Instead lots of buses rely on those push things which don't work half the time and result in you having to yell to ask the driver to open the door anyway...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1988  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 11:23 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
I ride the bus less and less these days, but I have literally never once seen that happen, where the door wouldn't open when the mechanism was triggered once the green light was on. I *have* had to call to the driver to unlock the doors at lower-volume stops to get that green light, though. And which "normal cities" have drivers opening the rear doors at all stops on all routes? I've never seen that in the cities where I have the most experience with the bus: Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Victoria, Paris, and New York.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1989  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:56 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Everything has come to a total halt at Greenboro. They started building a ticket vending booth just outside Greenboro station and it just suddenly stopped. It is sitting there as a partially built shell.
I think the shell is actually the finished product. I think this was all done on the cheap, since they'll likely rebuild everything again in 2 years with phase 2.

As for the faregates, I read in Toronto the same gates could be easily opened without paying simply by swiping an umbrella through the open space between the two doors, maybe they held off while the manufacturer provides a fix?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1990  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:00 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
What I don't understand is why Ottawa can't just be like a normal city with the driver opening the doors. Instead lots of buses rely on those push things which don't work half the time and result in you having to yell to ask the driver to open the door anyway...
They work damn near 100% of the time if you read and assimilate the instructions, which are simple, multilingual, and for which there are, what, all of four variants (artic, DD, diesel 40-footer, hybrid 40-footer). Even those variants pretty well all boil down to the same thing: wait for the green light to come on, then touch the yellow object closest to the door itself.

And why is it the ABSOLUTE WORST at figuring it out are university students?

Leave it to the driver? Oh no, no, no no no, oh god no no no no no.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1991  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:17 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I think the shell is actually the finished product. I think this was all done on the cheap, since they'll likely rebuild everything again in 2 years with phase 2.

As for the faregates, I read in Toronto the same gates could be easily opened without paying simply by swiping an umbrella through the open space between the two doors, maybe they held off while the manufacturer provides a fix?
Going by memory from last week, I don't think the structure is even enclosed yet, just a frame. I will be going by there this evening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1992  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:40 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Going by memory from last week, I don't think the structure is even enclosed yet, just a frame. I will be going by there this evening.
I thought it was unfinished too, but noticed a plexiglass roof and lighting, so I was guessing that's all she wrote. I assume the machines themselves are fairly weather proof so the only point of the structure is lighting and a bit of rain protection while you're standing there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1993  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:26 PM
CanadaGoose CanadaGoose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I wonder what happened to the fare gate project... seems to have stalled and the website now just says "in the coming months" and not this summer as had been said before.
There was a delay due to Algonquin U Passes, from what I heard. Last week of August and into September are the fare gate installations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1994  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:26 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusKafaiwu View Post
There was a delay due to Algonquin U Passes, from what I heard. Last week of August and into September are the fare gate installations.
I hope they'll delay closing them on a bit then... nothing ever works right from the get go generally and corresponding the first day of gates with the start of the school year sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1995  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:56 AM
Catenary Catenary is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I hope they'll delay closing them on a bit then... nothing ever works right from the get go generally and corresponding the first day of gates with the start of the school year sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I would expect the fare gates to be closed after the TVMs have been installed and tested.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1996  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:10 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I would expect the fare gates to be closed after the TVMs have been installed and tested.
I guess the installation has started now:

Carling Aug. 14–15, from 5 am to 5 pm
Confederation Aug. 16–17, from 5 am to 5 pm
Carleton West end of the station: Aug. 21–22, from 5 am to 5 pm
East end of the station: Aug. 23–24, from 5 am to 5 pm
Greenboro Aug. 27–28, from midnight to 5 am
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1997  
Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:13 PM
kmcamp kmcamp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I guess the installation has started now:

Carling Aug. 14–15, from 5 am to 5 pm
Confederation Aug. 16–17, from 5 am to 5 pm
Carleton West end of the station: Aug. 21–22, from 5 am to 5 pm
East end of the station: Aug. 23–24, from 5 am to 5 pm
Greenboro Aug. 27–28, from midnight to 5 am
I can now say I've seen the gates with my own eyes being put in at Carling station (though it was from the train, so didn't get a close up look)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1998  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 5:35 PM
TransitZilla TransitZilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I guess the installation has started now:

Carling Aug. 14–15, from 5 am to 5 pm
Confederation Aug. 16–17, from 5 am to 5 pm
Carleton West end of the station: Aug. 21–22, from 5 am to 5 pm
East end of the station: Aug. 23–24, from 5 am to 5 pm
Greenboro Aug. 27–28, from midnight to 5 am
Went by Confederation around noon... pedestrian detour signage is up but no work had started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1999  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:14 PM
PHrenetic PHrenetic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,029
Good Day....
posted on OC-Transpo website today:
http://www.octranspo.com/about-octranspo/news#news-198698

Quote:
Installation of new fare equipment at O-Train Trillium Line stations
Starting tonight (Aug. 16) and until the end of the month, we will be completing fare equipment installation at O-Train Trillium Line stations, which will cause short-term pedestrian detours. Please follow all signage at the stations. On Aug. 28 and 29, overnight bus service detours will be in place to accommodate the work at Greenboro Station.
You should continue to tap at the existing Presto readers or use the existing ticket machines until the new equipment is activated for use later this year.
The new fare gates and ticket machines will be fully accessible and easy to use. This is the same fare equipment that customers will use on the O-Train Confederation Line in 2018.
UnQuote.

EnJoy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2000  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:30 AM
Admiral Nelson Admiral Nelson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 519
Here's how they look.


Last edited by Admiral Nelson; Aug 17, 2017 at 2:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.