Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
I don't think that strip of Smith is really all that great right now... there is virtually no retail on that stretch apart from a questionable little pharmacy and a denture clinic. That said, if the CRUs get leased, that will change the feel dramatically.
I guess the big difference is that the Smith parkade doesn't have the effects of an LC across the street to contend with. But then again, the commercial building that stood there before the parkade was pretty much leased out (admittedly with lower-end tenants, but still).
|
Smith ain't great right now but between a small increase in businesses between portage and graham, TNS, SkyCity, and 300 Main's future added residents, transit accessibility, Convention Centre expansion, Hydro and the slow improvement of Graham West and of course the constant attention the Shed gets, there is positive momentum in that area. There's nothing there now but it's the type of spot than can succeed when densified.
North of Portage and southwest of the Exchange, however, is completely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse
^ it's shameless gentrification, it hasn't been a net positive for downtown, and honestly send the whole lot back to Atlanta if they're going to keep having tax incentives and not follow the same rules that everyone else has to.
|
Lol.
What has been a net positive for downtown Winnipeg in the last 25+ years?
As far as tax incentives, NONE of these projects would be going ahead without them due to costs... that's been discussed at length here and is mostly agreed upon by all. I personally have been told some rough figures of some projects downtown; in my limited capacity can attest that nobody would touch a downtown project without help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life
I'm not sure if any member has posted this blog article. It's an interesting read:
http://heritagewinnipeg.blogspot.ca/
"The sale of the St. Regis Hotel has raised many eyebrows for a variety of reasons. It seems counterintuitive to choose Fortress, a company from outside Manitoba, with a long record of projects that fail to even break ground, to be a rejuvenating force in Winnipeg. Unfortunately, the redevelopment of the St. Regis seemed to be following Fortress’ previous pattern of inactivity, with the company missing its April 30, 2017 deadline for starting construction. CentreVenture choose to extend the deadline by a year, asserting that development is complicated and they can always repossess the building if no construction takes place. The city has also stated that they will not allow demolition of the hotel until Fortress can prove that their finances are in order.
Beyond the questionable choice of developers, the building of a parkade and commercial complex also seem in opposition to sound city planning. Vibrant cities have lively streetscapes filled with mixed use buildings and cater to pedestrian needs. Winnipeg already has approximately 39,000 parking spots and pedestrians are unable to cross its most celebrated intersection, Portage Avenue and Main Street. Clearly, the development community is not interested in building a walkable city and has little regard for the environmental impact of demolishing buildings and encouraging the use of private vehicles."
|
I don't mind their opinion, but they could do a better job of appearing more objective rather than partisan about the matter...
One thing we do not know is how much they do or don't need this parkade to proceed... if they need it to trim overall tower costs or meet code requirments,l or market demand, regardless, they wouldn't do this unless it was necessary (theoretically). Why go through this headache if you didn't have to?
With that in mind, I'd expect Heritage Winnipeg to want more facts before being publically brazen, although I ultimately agree with the principle of what they're saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse
What about the lease rates? Would anyone pay higher prices in that area? There are so many vacant spaces throughout downtown, I suspect the struggle to rent the spaces out would be real...
|
Perhaps I'm a drain for people when discussing parkades or the balance between heritage and newer commercial development, but you're correct, and I don't know why I, or anyone else, would have to say this 1000 times.
------------------
I recall a discussion with my wife a few years back... I can't recall the statement I made, but we were at odds.
she said: "you think you're right? You think your view on this matter is correct???"
Me: "No kidding! Why else would I say it???"