HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
           
     
  #5602  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:58 PM
The Illusive Man's Avatar
The Illusive Man The Illusive Man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The City of Champions! Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Gee Whiz Colemonkee, I think that you are being a little harsh. Most, if not all, of these forummers have posted very relevant and contributing opinions on this site in the past. I think that they are just kidding around about the Richfield tower, I know that I was. Perhaps a very stern and simple "PLEASE PEOPLE LET'S REMAIN ON TOPIC" would have sufficed. Thank you.
I know right? That's a bit aggressive. Relax.

Anywho. I'm happy the Olympics are back. I was had a feeling we'd get another here in LA as this is by far the most equipped city to handle such an event in nation and maybe event he world.
     
     
  #5603  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:25 PM
ConstructDTLA's Avatar
ConstructDTLA ConstructDTLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,454
820 S Hill St by Hunter, on Flickr

820 S Hill St by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

1133 S Hope & Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

1133 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

1212 S Flower by Hunter, on Flickr

1212 S Flower by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza & Circa by Hunter, on Flickr
__________________
     
     
  #5604  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:38 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
8 towers are rising where there was once a sea of parking lots. All within 2 - 3 blocks.
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
  #5605  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:48 PM
Blesha13 Blesha13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA 90026
Posts: 379
Nice update, Hunter. Can't wait to see the Onni towers rise.
__________________
GO DODGERS! GO LAKERS! GO RAMS! GO KINGS!
     
     
  #5606  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:03 AM
bhunsberger bhunsberger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Nice update, Hunter. Can't wait to see the Onni towers rise.
Same. I wish Oceanwide was topped out already. Looks like they are about half way there. Can it be 2020 already??
     
     
  #5607  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:30 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Quality stuff as always, Hunter.

South Park is becoming parking podium city; good thing the towers themselves look nice. I can tolerate parking podiums, but Circa's is just ridiculous. The city really needs to do something about this epidemic.
__________________
“To tell a story is inescapably to take a moral stance.”

— Jerome Bruner
     
     
  #5608  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:56 AM
bhunsberger bhunsberger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Quality stuff as always, Hunter.

South Park is becoming parking podium city; good thing the towers themselves look nice. I can tolerate parking podiums, but Circa's is just ridiculous. The city really needs to do something about this epidemic.
Parking Podium City. This is not going away. Time to embrace it, and the towers that come with.
     
     
  #5609  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:03 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
^ Why should I embrace poor urban planning? I acknowledge that these projects represent, for the most part, progress in the right direction. But that doesn't mean that I can't criticize certain elements. If you're going to build a massive amount of parking, put it underground or at the very least do a better job of disguising it.
__________________
“To tell a story is inescapably to take a moral stance.”

— Jerome Bruner
     
     
  #5610  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:12 AM
bhunsberger bhunsberger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Why should I embrace poor urban planning? I acknowledge that these projects represent, for the most part, progress in the right direction. But that doesn't mean that I can't criticize certain elements. If you're going to build a massive amount of parking, put it underground or at the very least do a better job of disguising it.
You should embrace it because cars are here to stay, and there needs to be accommodation for them. Almost every major development happening in downtown right now has one. I agree with underground parking lots completely. Unfortunately we are not seeing that happen. I do agree that something needs to be done to better the facade of the podiums. I thought Metropolis did a pretty good job down by hotel indigo. However, at night it just looks terrible.
     
     
  #5611  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:29 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
You should embrace it because cars are here to stay, and there needs to be accommodation for them.
Making provisions for cars only makes driving more convenient, thereby sustaining our hyper-dependence on them. The end result is more traffic and carbon emissions.

I get it... LA's still an autocentric city without any viable modal alternatives (bus and bike aren't realistic options for most). But at some point, we can and should start weaning off. The city can start by eliminating parking minimums; I believe Santa Monica is about to do this.
__________________
“To tell a story is inescapably to take a moral stance.”

— Jerome Bruner
     
     
  #5612  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:12 AM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Making provisions for cars only makes driving more convenient, thereby sustaining our hyper-dependence on them. The end result is more traffic and carbon emissions.

I get it... LA's still an autocentric city without any viable modal alternatives (bus and bike aren't realistic options for most). But at some point, we can and should start weaning off. The city can start by eliminating parking minimums; I believe Santa Monica is about to do this.
You can't be serious!
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
     
     
  #5613  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:28 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
^ What about my post is controversial (assuming you aren't being facetious)?

It's really annoying how you and a few others here take such offense to even the slightest bit of criticism. "You can't be serious!"
__________________
“To tell a story is inescapably to take a moral stance.”

— Jerome Bruner
     
     
  #5614  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:53 AM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ What about my post is controversial (assuming you aren't being facetious)?

It's really annoying how you and a few others here take such offense to even the slightest bit of criticism. "You can't be serious!"
It's annoying that you can't comprehend. There has been a plethora of criticism that I don't commend on and some that I agree with the criticism. IMO, your first post was absurd and a little small minded...not understanding the big picture of things...#annoying
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
     
     
  #5615  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:19 AM
bhunsberger bhunsberger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 244
The podiums shouldn't bother people so much. It is what it is. We are in Los Angeles, not Manhattan. I think we should try to focus on the positive things. New buildings that are helping to fill up the skyline and create a more dense downtown. One good thing about the podiums is it does add height to the building(s) making them more prominent in the skyline. However, I am not in any way saying don't criticize.
     
     
  #5616  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:25 AM
Valyrian Steel's Avatar
Valyrian Steel Valyrian Steel is offline
:o
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
It's annoying that you can't comprehend. There has been a plethora of criticism that I don't commend on and some that I agree with the criticism. IMO, your first post was absurd and a little small minded...not understanding the big picture of things...#annoying
You should probably elaborate and what exactly was absurd about his comment. You can build a parking podium without making it stick out like a sore thumb (see: 8th & Hope). The city also should do a better job of promoting the use of mass transit, which IMO should include changing parking minimum requirements. These podiums are permanent and we shouldn't just accept every monstrosity just because LA is historically a car city.
__________________
IG
     
     
  #5617  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:29 AM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
You should probably elaborate and what exactly was absurd about his comment. You can build a parking podium without making it stick out like a sore thumb (see: 8th & Hope). The city also should do a better job of promoting the use of mass transit, which IMO should include changing parking minimum requirements.
I don't think by any means it's an epidemic. That to me is absurd. When looking at all of the towers going up in DTLA, there are different podiums and parking structures. Some hidden/diaguised more than others.
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
     
     
  #5618  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:35 AM
chuckrim chuckrim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Why should I embrace poor urban planning? I acknowledge that these projects represent, for the most part, progress in the right direction. But that doesn't mean that I can't criticize certain elements. If you're going to build a massive amount of parking, put it underground or at the very least do a better job of disguising it.
It's too expensive to go below-grade. The deals wouldn't pencil if it was required. Then you have no towers...

All for disguising it though.
     
     
  #5619  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:04 AM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Same. I wish Oceanwide was topped out already. Looks like they are about half way there. Can it be 2020 already??
It will reach its final height in 2018 so I guess 2020 shouldn't be the problem.
__________________

Real DTLA Development Group
     
     
  #5620  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:04 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
You should probably elaborate and what exactly was absurd about his comment. You can build a parking podium without making it stick out like a sore thumb (see: 8th & Hope). The city also should do a better job of promoting the use of mass transit, which IMO should include changing parking minimum requirements. These podiums are permanent and we shouldn't just accept every monstrosity just because LA is historically a car city.
Thank you!

I'm a believer in constructive criticism where necessary and giving credit where it's due. I heaped both praise and criticism in this instance, and my points were reasonable IMO. Instead of having such knee-jerk reactions to any and all perceived negativity, the forumers in question (scania, Resident, Just-In-Cali, and The Illusive Man) should actually look at what the critics are saying and evaluate the arguments based on their merits.

Circa in particular irks me because it's adjacent to a rail station. That and the architect/developer didn't put much thought into concealing the massive podium (based on the renderings), something that the city should've forced them into doing. Atelier (8th and Olive) is a great example of what can be done. Heck, even Oceanwide Plaza, which will have an equally massive podium, isn't that offensive looking to me.

You're absolutely right in that the city should be adopting more policies designed to help us evolve out of our car culture. We'll never be able to root it out completely, but we can chip away at it little by little... and that's what ultimately matters. Eliminating parking minimums is a no-brainer for everyone involved, including the developers. The city could also have developers build these podiums in such a way that would allow for the possibility of future residential conversion (Seattle is doing this). Another option could be to have them built as detached structures (9th and Hope), so that they could one day be torn down and replaced with housing. Almost anything is possible provided there's the will, imagination, and creativity. I'm just not seeing that from LA city yet, and it's very frustrating.

[/endrant]
__________________
“To tell a story is inescapably to take a moral stance.”

— Jerome Bruner
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.