Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt
Most people prefer the wood box
Reverse the question: why would someone want to live in a concrete shoebox with shared walls in the centre of the city when they could have lots of space for kids and toys and not have to deal with all the noise and riff raff that you do in the city centre ?
There's a huge amount of dystopia on this forum with regards to why people choose to live where they live. We're all free to assume that everyone would want to live closse to downtown given the chance but that's pure conjecture. I think you'd find that the vast majority are quite content with where they have decided to live
|
Look at the central areas of most major cities, why are they so expensive? Why do young people pay 3 times the rent they would have to pay in the suburbs to live in a 30 square meter box in the middle of the city?
If you look at the numbers, the majority of young people (millennials) are living outside city centres. These finding are a lot of the time used as proof that the bias towards downtown living is a myth. The flaw in these conclusions is that they're not accounting for the insane cost of living in the downtown cores of most major cities. I'm renting my Vancouver condo out for 2250 a month. It's a 21 year old condo (560 square feet) and it is in no way "high end" (it does have nice views though). I've seen 1 bedroom units go for over 3000 a month. And this is just Vancouver. Go to mega cities like NYC and look at the prices people are willing to pay and the conditions that some are willing to put up with. Because of the high cost of living the majority of young people still live outside downtown cores.
You can get a condo in Burnaby for half the cost of a Vancouver proper condo. A sky-train ride to the city takes 15 minutes! Does that mean people prefer to live in Burnaby, all things being equal? All things being equal, downtown would win 99 times out of 100. The market forces are proof.
In Alberta, the population has traditionally been rural. On top of that, in a place like Edmonton, where there are a ton of blue collar jobs on the outskirts of the city, it might make more sense to own on the edges of the city. Downtown Edmonton also never really offered anything in the past. The very things that pull in people to city centres in other major cities in North America are now starting to be offered in Edmonton. Prices are also very affordable. IMO this combination will change the dynamics in the city in the decades to come. People want to live in areas where they can interact with other people, have things to do, sights to see, have access to public transportation and modern amenities etc... I grew up in the suburbs. I don't want that experience on my worst enemies. Unless my parents could drive me somewhere or I was able to steal my mom's car keys (I was driving before I even got my license

), I would just sit at home. Taking the bus from the boonies would take ages. Meanwhile I knew people that grew up in Vancouver proper and they lived minutes from parks, gyms, shops, sky-train, museums, libraries, restaurants, schools... The world was at heir footsteps. Everything was a short walk or bike ride away. Edmonton isn't there yet, but build it and they will invade. I'm sure people that prefer the burbs won't mind the Downtown invasion.