Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker
|
Holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵, thanks
Hopefully they can do something about the homeless population too when it reopens. I went there a bunch of time between 2013-2015 and there were always fights inside the library. One time cops had to drag out a guy screaming and hollering. Clearly out of it. I'm not saying it should be "gentrified" and turned into a country club, but at the same time the library needs to function for its intended purpose.
When you walked in, there were two security guards/police officers standing in the front with breathalyzer test kits! As you went up to the top floor you were greeted with a crazy number of homeless people dosing off on chairs, clearly high on something. I already mentioned the random fights and disturbances.
I honestly don't know what the solution is. Here in Vancouver the homeless population of East Hastings is famous. But for some reason the library is never packed with homeless people. Not that you don't see them, but they're a lot less visible. You can find a quiet corner and not be disturbed. Maybe it's because the library is so much bigger?
Disclaimer: I did have my 1500 dollar camera stolen from me in the Vancouver library (taken right out of my bag while I was studying). No such thing to report from the Edm. library though.
In any case, amazing to see so much happening in Edmonton. The new library design looks great.