HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10181  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:43 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Whoever did this gives as much of a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about it as I do.

     
     
  #10182  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:45 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Wow they really went all out.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #10183  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:56 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
It gets better. The flag combo on buddy's shirt is even displaying on electronic building-side signs around the city. This week is going to do me in. I'm going to end up arrested for arson or something a la http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...ments-monument-lasted-less-than-24-hours

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #10184  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:56 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It might not be your preferred style, but Robarts (along with many other 1960s/70s educational buildings) is one of the best Brutalist buildings in the country.

It's disappointing to see such a low level of architectural knowledge and appreciation that a work like that is brought up alongside tacky stucco piles of 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like the Clocktower and Venetian in an "ugly" thread. Then again I did just see a thread full of "my kid could draw better than that"-type comments on a Basquiat painting, so...
ahh. well I wasn't aware that architectural knowledge was a prerequisite for posting opinions in this thread. I thought beauty was in the eye of the beholder.

I stand corrected. Thanks for shaming me into submission. I suppose that I should also refrain from posting political opinions, since I don't have a degree in Political Science.

I did want to be an architect for much of my young life. Somehow got side-tracked into an academic career instead.


Let's say I had a really high level of architectural knowledge. Would that automatically mean that I should like the building?

I am no musician, but I dislike Nickelback. Is that opinion valid?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #10185  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:04 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Yeah, no, I hadn't refreshed the page for a few minutes before posting, but I was talking about that UofT Scarborough campus.
     
     
  #10186  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 9:09 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am no musician, but I dislike Nickelback. Is that opinion valid?
Where do you guys set the bar for being a musician? I went to special music schools all the way to college... (still occasionally play the piano, my favorite instrument) ... and I've got some paperwork to prove these credentials. (Plus, I happen to have absolute ear pitch, probably due to growing up in a musician family / young age exposure.)

If I can get a official SSP greenlight to express an educated opinion, I'll let you use it in my stead and you can cast my vote against Nickelback How does that sound?
     
     
  #10187  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 10:31 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
So a few days ago, 12 (!) council housing units burned down in St. John's. It was major fire, smoke went across the whole city, etc.



The families lost everything and one person had to go to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Since then, so many donations have poured in that the local community centre is no longer accepting donations. So a silver lining type of story.

Until now, the truth comes out. Residents of the area went to the media to explain...



People were literally saying "Let it burn!", "It's only social housing.", "Nothing lives there.", etc. It's not even that bad a neighbourhood - the grounds are generally kept, the units had nice interiors, it's not intimidating or uncomfortable to walk through, lots of young families, etc.

There was a crackhouse on my street that burned down a couple of years ago and all the neighbours standing around watching were saying things like, "Thank Christ!", etc. In that situation, I can understand it. But in this one, it's just cruelty. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that neighbourhood except that its council housing. That's literally the only reason to be a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about it - the people in there are best kind.

And in this city it's not like they're sad about the wide open spaces and lack of urbanity in that area. They just wants a Shoppers or Winners parking lot there. People are awful.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #10188  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:32 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
So a few days ago, 12 (!) council housing units burned down in St. John's. It was major fire, smoke went across the whole city, etc.



The families lost everything and one person had to go to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Since then, so many donations have poured in that the local community centre is no longer accepting donations. So a silver lining type of story.

Until now, the truth comes out. Residents of the area went to the media to explain...



People were literally saying "Let it burn!", "It's only social housing.", "Nothing lives there.", etc. It's not even that bad a neighbourhood - the grounds are generally kept, the units had nice interiors, it's not intimidating or uncomfortable to walk through, lots of young families, etc.

There was a crackhouse on my street that burned down a couple of years ago and all the neighbours standing around watching were saying things like, "Thank Christ!", etc. In that situation, I can understand it. But in this one, it's just cruelty. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that neighbourhood except that its council housing. That's literally the only reason to be a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about it - the people in there are best kind.

And in this city it's not like they're sad about the wide open spaces and lack of urbanity in that area. They just wants a Shoppers or Winners parking lot there. People are awful.
We're living in an age of unbridled selfishness, apathy and contempt for 'others'. Reminds me of when an abandoned hotel was trying to be converted to assisted living facilities for the homeless in NE Calgary. This town hall meeting was the result:

     
     
  #10189  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:50 PM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,535
The Robarts Library at U of T is fantastic. Looking for a brutalist library on a Canadian campus that really stinks? Look no further than the Murray Library at the U of S:


Source


Source

I think the windows they punched through the top floor about 10 years ago actually make it worse. Before:


Source
__________________
SASKATOON PHOTO TOURS
2013: [Part I] [Part II] | [2014] | [2016] | [2022-26]
     
     
  #10190  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:55 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,245
Ya those new windows definitely make it look worse.
     
     
  #10191  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:59 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Since we are on the topic, I just noticed this news about the expansion of Robarts: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/06/u-t-robarts-common-breaking-ground-summer



Urbantoronto.ca
I saw this as well. Not a fan at all. Do they really need to ad more space here? The library is already HUGE. The only thing I'd like to see them do to it would be a better landscaping of the grounds. Maybe a water feature.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #10192  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:00 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,328
Scrolling through FB when...

Now, I hate setbacks and detached houses. If my house isn't touching the neighboring ones, and my front door doesnt open to sidewalk, I might as well be camping for how not urban it feels to me personally.

But if you're going to have detached houses... Maybe push them far enough apart to fit a vehicle AND a tree. This looks like a moonscape.

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #10193  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:02 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
     
     
  #10194  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:03 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,674
I will admit to loving the interior of said library. I also enjoy the interior of Bonaventure Metro Station in Montreal, a brutalist gem and my favorite station. plus it has these wicked access tunnels:

mtlinpictures
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #10195  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:09 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

Ugh. That's atrocious.

I'm glad they saved (forced to?) the original Imperial Plaza through conversion but even still they ruined the top of it with the tacked on addition.
     
     
  #10196  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:17 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Scrolling through FB when...

Now, I hate setbacks and detached houses. If my house isn't touching the neighboring ones, and my front door doesnt open to sidewalk, I might as well be camping for how not urban it feels to me personally.

But if you're going to have detached houses... Maybe push them far enough apart to fit a vehicle AND a tree. This looks like a moonscape.

That kitchen...
     
     
  #10197  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:29 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That kitchen...
I'll give it credit. It all works together.
     
     
  #10198  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:34 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,674
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #10199  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:36 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'll give it credit. It all works together.
Much like the polished barf lobby of Trump Tower NY?
     
     
  #10200  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:04 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It gets better. The flag combo on buddy's shirt is even displaying on electronic building-side signs around the city. This week is going to do me in. I'm going to end up arrested for arson or something a la http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...ments-monument-lasted-less-than-24-hours

What is the big issue here to cause you to want to cause some civic damage. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like a comedian wearing a t-shirt with a flag....nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.