HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10161  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:05 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,665
^that's what it is. A Concrete Turkey.
I like Turkey...much more than concrete. You see, I work in one of those horrid 1970s Architectural disasters that are liberally found at Universities and Hospitals...especially in Ontario.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #10162  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:27 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Are you kidding? The interior of Robarts is anything but. We rarely build grandiose spaces like that anymore.

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/back-school-u-t-library-system-ranked-top-three-harvard-and-yale

Well, maybe white walls, curtain wall and aluminum is your thing.
     
     
  #10163  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 5:37 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Are you kidding? The interior of Robarts is anything but. We rarely build grandiose spaces like that anymore.

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/back-school-u-t-library-system-ranked-top-three-harvard-and-yale

Well, maybe white walls, curtain wall and aluminum is your thing.
Yes I agree that brutalist buildings generally knew how to build grandiose spaces. The churches especially. I've also found some with amazing atriums like the old Delta at the Calgary airport. New builds generally don't allow for things like open atriums or courtyards with gardens anymore because it's all about squeezing every last sf of leasable office space out of designs. Just look what they did to the atrium in the Bow.
     
     
  #10164  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:11 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^that's what it is. A Concrete Turkey.
I like Turkey...much more than concrete. You see, I work in one of those horrid 1970s Architectural disasters that are liberally found at Universities and Hospitals...especially in Ontario.

It might not be your preferred style, but Robarts (along with many other 1960s/70s educational buildings) is one of the best Brutalist buildings in the country.

It's disappointing to see such a low level of architectural knowledge and appreciation that a work like that is brought up alongside tacky stucco piles of 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like the Clocktower and Venetian in an "ugly" thread. Then again I did just see a thread full of "my kid could draw better than that"-type comments on a Basquiat painting, so...
__________________
     
     
  #10165  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:20 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It might not be your preferred style, but Robarts (along with many other 1960s/70s educational buildings) is one of the best Brutalist buildings in the country.

It's disappointing to see such a low level of architectural knowledge and appreciation that a work like that is brought up alongside tacky stucco piles of 🞵🞵🞵🞵 like the Clocktower and Venetian in an "ugly" thread. Then again I did just see a thread full of "my kid could draw better than that"-type comments on a Basquiat painting, so...

Right now, you have a bunch of heighters bitching that the proposal thread doesn't put height first.
     
     
  #10166  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:21 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The concrete turkey has grown on me.

Same it's a beast, but it fits in well in it's surroundings. I'd miss it if it went off to fight Clockzilla.

It's actually kind of a beautiful structure once you get to know it.

soource:s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com


Source:blogs.studentlife.utoronto.ca


Source: images.adsttc.com


Source: img-s3.onedio.com


Source: heritage.utoronto.ca


Source: 2.bp.blogspot.com
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #10167  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:24 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
I had full access to the UofT library system as a grad student at York and studied at Robart's quite often. It's an amazing building. Also I wasn't going all the way up to York unless I absolutely had to...
     
     
  #10168  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:29 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
I'm actually envious for once.
     
     
  #10169  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:37 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
I need to get in there next Doors Open. I had no idea it was so bad 🞵🞵🞵 inside and over 1 million sq ft.
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #10170  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 6:38 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,666
__________________
     
     
  #10171  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:13 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Scarberia?

It's cool but not much more depressing than UofT S on a grey winter day.
     
     
  #10172  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:26 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,723
Looks good in The Weeknds new video.
• Video Link
__________________
"Less is more" – Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
     
     
  #10173  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:45 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
I've only ever seen it in films.
     
     
  #10174  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:19 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Having gone to ACAD I spent a lot of time inside a Brutalist building. Rumours abounded that the architect had only designed prisons before that. My best description for it would have to be Labyrinth meets Quake. In hindsight I kinda like it though. There was something very weird about it. When you walked in from the train station through the long entry hall there is a window looking into the boiler room complete with dangling chains etc. that looked right out of Nightmare on Elm Street. Also one time I remember noticing a panel partly open on a wall on my way to the bathroom on the 5th floor. I peeked inside and it led to a weird metal grate platform that looked down all the way to the basement. In many ways it felt like it was designed as a level in Quake or a horror movie insane asylum or something. One of my first year sculpture teachers also told us a story about how some homeless dude had found his way into the building and ended up living for a time in one of those weird crawl spaces above the women's bathroom in the basement.




     
     
  #10175  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:22 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
That's an university?!?!? It looks like WWII fortifications.

Brutalist can look good but it usually needs windows and texture/shapes to pull that off.
     
     
  #10176  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:28 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
Since we are on the topic, I just noticed this news about the expansion of Robarts: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/06/u-t-robarts-common-breaking-ground-summer



Urbantoronto.ca


Almost had a heart attack at the first render, but the iconic "peacock" (or turkey) view from the East pictured in this thread will remain more or less as is. The expansion will be built along the back end here: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/06/u-t-robarts-common-breaking-ground-summer
     
     
  #10177  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:30 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That's an university?!?!? It looks like WWII fortifications.

Brutalist can look good but it usually needs windows and texture/shapes to pull that off.
Haha. Yes. It's an art college of all things.

Here's some streetviews:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0612899,-...2LDZRCFh7Q8jylHjp7mT5Q!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0621314,-...vJej3-U-Mim3Gyj4JySMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Aerial view: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Calgary...b652b63a!8m2!3d51.0486151!4d-114.0708459
     
     
  #10178  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:31 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Since we are on the topic, I just noticed this news about the expansion of Robarts: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/06/u-t-robarts-common-breaking-ground-summer



Urbantoronto.ca


Almost had a heart attack at the first render, but the iconic "peacock" (or turkey) view from the East pictured in this thread will remain more or less as is. The expansion will be built along the back end here: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/06/u-t-robarts-common-breaking-ground-summer
HA. I saw that and wondered if any on here would be concerned. The addition looks really messy and does nothing for the overall shape of the building.
     
     
  #10179  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:35 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,325
Whoever did this gives as much of a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about it as I do.

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #10180  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:36 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
Since MolsonEx loves bad Canadian album covers from decades past here's a list for ya!

http://etcanada.com/photos/235450/12-awkward-canadian-album-covers/#image-235454

This is hands down the best!



Followed by David Suzuki:



Futuristic:

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.