HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10121  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:09 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
Tim Whoretons is to food what Budweiser is to beer.
     
     
  #10122  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:17 PM
Patapouf26 Patapouf26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Moncton
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
There's nothing I hate more than a high rise with one side devoid of windows or any other features, just one big blank monstrosity! This should never be approved by any city, for any reason!
We have a 22 story riverfront hotel here in Windsor like this where the back side not facing the river is just brick from top to bottom, so ugly!
And here are two more blank walls within a 30 second walk...


     
     
  #10123  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:19 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,341
The particular shade of red in Moncton's bricks is really nice.
     
     
  #10124  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:34 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
I believe I posted a link to this one last year.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.0926019,-...w%3D203.641%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

But I wanted to post a couple pictures of this faux-château hotel we have in Moncton. Disgusting design and the cheap paneling (meant to look like stucco?) is horrid.




Screen captures from Google Maps.
I think I actually stayed there when I was in Moncton many many years ago. It was every bit as bland and uninspiring inside as you'd expect.
     
     
  #10125  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:40 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Went for a walk down 17th yesterday on a beautiful day. I have to say it's really growing in exciting ways. Then I stumbled across this relic that used to be a provincial liquor store back in the day. Now it's just a private liquor store blighting an otherwise urban area with its' sea of parking, hideous design and suburban placement. Not to mention the row of dead trees. Calgary really excels at planting new trees then letting them die and leaving them that way for years at a time.

     
     
  #10126  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:51 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
^ It's actually a pretty decent liquor store. Awful way to bookend 11 Street, however.
     
     
  #10127  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:53 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
^ It's actually a pretty decent liquor store. Awful way to bookend 11 Street, however.
Does it still have the roller system from back in the day leading to the tills?
     
     
  #10128  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:59 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Does it still have the roller system from back in the day leading to the tills?
I don't recall there being a roller system. They did put in some renovations a while back, and there's now a growler station inside.
     
     
  #10129  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:05 PM
ciudad_del_norte's Avatar
ciudad_del_norte ciudad_del_norte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amiskwaciwâskahikan/Mohkinstsis
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Went for a walk down 17th yesterday on a beautiful day. I have to say it's really growing in exciting ways. Then I stumbled across this relic that used to be a provincial liquor store back in the day. Now it's just a private liquor store blighting an otherwise urban area with its' sea of parking, hideous design and suburban placement. Not to mention the row of dead trees. Calgary really excels at planting new trees then letting them die and leaving them that way for years at a time.

I went to an orcharding class not too long ago and there some people from Calgary there. They mentioned something similar and felt that a lot of trees were planted in Calgary that weren't really appropriate species. Their theory was that that a lot of people including landscape architects sometimes overlook some of the things that make Calgary pretty tough on some types of trees that are theoretically hardy there. Doesn't really help with the problem of them being left around, but still kind of interesting.
     
     
  #10130  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:19 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
I believe I posted a link to this one last year.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.0926019,-...w%3D203.641%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

But I wanted to post a couple pictures of this faux-château hotel we have in Moncton. Disgusting design and the cheap paneling (meant to look like stucco?) is horrid.




Screen captures from Google Maps.
Is this the same location?

https://www.facebook.com/VintageMoncton/...91307984/352417131437603/?type=3&theater

My F-I-L grew up in Moncton and he recommended we eat @ Cy's about 15 years ago. We were in our mid 30's and we seemed to be the youngest in there. For some reason I recall they had wine from a draft tap.
     
     
  #10131  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:36 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post


Love the hammer of Laval.
     
     
  #10132  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:40 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I went to an orcharding class not too long ago and there some people from Calgary there. They mentioned something similar and felt that a lot of trees were planted in Calgary that weren't really appropriate species. Their theory was that that a lot of people including landscape architects sometimes overlook some of the things that make Calgary pretty tough on some types of trees that are theoretically hardy there. Doesn't really help with the problem of them being left around, but still kind of interesting.
Yeah Calgary's got a very arid environment. There are only select species that seem to actually thrive here. I've noticed many dead schubert choke cherry trees over the years which people seem to love planting. Don't really understand why they continue to plant them. Sometimes it's not the species it's just lack of care and watering that leads to them dying.
     
     
  #10133  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:46 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Yeah Calgary's got a very arid environment. There are only select species that seem to actually thrive here. I've noticed many dead schubert choke cherry trees over the years which people seem to love planting. Don't really understand why they continue to plant them. Sometimes it's not the species it's just lack of care and watering that leads to them dying.
My parents have a rather lovely Schubert Cherry that has done splendidly. It's survived quite the battering from hail and managed to avoid black knot (which also afflicts Mayday trees).

I've seen people with amazing gardens around town, with trees you wouldn't think you would grow here. I can tell you, having worked in a garden centre, that it involves a lot of trial and error and with that, huge sums of money. One area of your property may not be sheltered enough, or it doesn't get the right mixture of sun or shade, or the soil's too acidic or not porous enough, etc. And sometimes it's just that you had a really warm fall and a late start to winter, which kills off a lot of trees (this is particularly a big problem here due to the chinooks).
     
     
  #10134  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:50 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
My parents have a rather lovely Schubert Cherry that has done splendidly. It's survived quite the battering from hail and managed to avoid black knot (which also afflicts Mayday trees).
Maybe it's just all the Schubert's I see planted in power centres and strip malls that invariably end up dying. Then again that could just be the — areas they get planted in.
     
     
  #10135  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:54 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Maybe it's just all the Schubert's I see planted in power centres and strip malls that invariably end up dying. Then again that could just be the — areas they get planted in.
Yeah, a 1.5m tree coffin is really not enough space for a tree to grow. They'll get rootbound and choke themselves to death.
     
     
  #10136  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:59 PM
ciudad_del_norte's Avatar
ciudad_del_norte ciudad_del_norte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amiskwaciwâskahikan/Mohkinstsis
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Yeah Calgary's got a very arid environment. There are only select species that seem to actually thrive here. I've noticed many dead schubert choke cherry trees over the years which people seem to love planting. Don't really understand why they continue to plant them. Sometimes it's not the species it's just lack of care and watering that leads to them dying.
Yeah, my understanding was also that there are issues choosing trees that break dormancy quickly and/or have low chilling hours. On the years with a really strong spell of spring like weather in the winter the trees start to loose hardiness and then suffer from a lot of winterkill when the temperatures drop back down. They were trying to start a little orchard down there though which is pretty neat! Just some things they were grappling with that were a bit more pronounced and required more management than other areas.
     
     
  #10137  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:04 PM
elsonic's Avatar
elsonic elsonic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montréal
Posts: 5,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
I believe I posted a link to this one last year.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.0926019,-...w%3D203.641%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

But I wanted to post a couple pictures of this faux-château hotel we have in Moncton. Disgusting design and the cheap paneling (meant to look like stucco?) is horrid.




Screen captures from Google Maps.
Sort of


photo : Omni Hotels
     
     
  #10138  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:12 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,287
Ya, not quite the same thing is it? I love seeing the inspiration for modern faux historical architecture cause it really hammers home how inept we are at aping such beautiful old buildings. There just isn't the level of craft and trade skill that there used to be.
     
     
  #10139  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:25 PM
Patapouf26 Patapouf26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Moncton
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Is this the same location?

https://www.facebook.com/VintageMoncton/...91307984/352417131437603/?type=3&theater

My F-I-L grew up in Moncton and he recommended we eat @ Cy's about 15 years ago. We were in our mid 30's and we seemed to be the youngest in there. For some reason I recall they had wine from a draft tap.
Very close actually, just slightly up Main street where you'll see these fine buildings


Next time, try Little Louis' Oyster Bar for the best seafood.
     
     
  #10140  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:36 PM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
Very close actually, just slightly up Main street where you'll see these fine buildings


Next time, try Little Louis' Oyster Bar for the best seafood.
Thanks for the tips. My wife will be in Moncton in about 2 weeks. Last time we were in Moncton we ate at a cafe/bistro to the north of downtown that was good. I think I had crepes and most of the staff were francophones. Sorry can't be more descriptive than that but the place was a converted house I think.

My F-I-L also recommends Hynes but diner food doesn't really do it for me.

I did like the fried clams/shrimp we had at a place near Cap Pele.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.