Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster
You would think with the downtown population increasing that HBC would make some kind of effort to attract more clientele. There is also a large downtown workforce within walking distance that may want to venture to the store if it were more enticing. I don't know why the company seems to have given up on what used to be the flagship store.
|
The thought that downtown has a lot of people during the day therefore it should be able to support retail has been tried a few times (Winnipeg Square, CityPlace, Portage Place) and just does not translate through to actual sales for whatever reason. HBC held out for many years trying to make the store viable but it just wasn't happening so slowly pieces started to disappear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse
It all comes down to the building: HBC does not want it.
|
As for the HBC location, the cost to operate and maintain the building is a huge drain. I don't think HBC necessarily has anything against that specific location. Heck if someone was leasing the top 4 floors and helping covering the building related costs I wouldn't even be surprised if HBC was open to keeping the building. But when you have to pay heat, property tax, etc on four floors + the basement that are contributing nothing back yeah I can understand the dislike.