HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2961  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 7:42 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,199
The challenge is post-secondary schools in Manitoba try to be very inward focused capturing everything their students might do in a day. I don't think the RRC expansion will be any different.
     
     
  #2962  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:00 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
any chance they tear the old bldg down and build a brand new 20 - 25 story mixed use apartment building.

I think it would probably be more cost effective to just build something brand new rather than do a conversion.
The demo for such a building would be in the millions, followed by 35M or so to build something of similar size on a suuuuper tight budget.

Was the final cost ever confirmed? I know asking was around 16M but I'm not sure they got that. Basically, assuming a 15M purchase price you're approaching an 18M premium to build a 35M building on the cheap. This would have to be a reno all day.

The only way to make back all the money that went into acquiring a clean slate (so cost of land PLUS building PLUS demo) is to build higher, 40+ storeys... I'm not sure anyone has the guts to do that until the dust settles after our first big three projects near completion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I think the Wolf may have more insight in terms of actual costs.

IMO it's almost always better to renovate versus demolish and build new. But that just my own personal opinion.

In terms of the medical arts bldg, it will come down to what the layout and structure of the building allows to rearrange the interior from office to residential.

I can't imagine any realistic scenario where it will be cheaper to implode a modern reinforced concrete mid-rise, with parkade - and replace it with something new of a similar size and amenities.
I can only imagine that it has a manageable layout for residential, albeit an outdated layout.

Furthermore, I have no idea what a high-rise implosion would demo for, but demolition for a 1 story building can go from $6-$10/sf if memory serves me right. I can only imagine and implosion would double that? It's a totally different thing, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post


Apparently engineered wood bridges like this offer a lot of advantages, among them being drastically cheaper because wood is lighter than concrete, so the bridge doesn't need to be as strong to support its own weight. And they look gorgeous.

We live next to the biggest forest in the world, we're stupid to not use it.
You may have identified the problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am telling you all right now: this is going to bring another 1,200 students to the area; if this does not result in any new developments, I...I...I give up.
It should easily kickstart more activity, and brighten up the west side of the exchange. Exciting news!
     
     
  #2963  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:48 PM
Labroco's Avatar
Labroco Labroco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am telling you all right now: this is going to bring another 1,200 students to the area; if this does not result in any new developments, I...I...I give up.

I am happy for the development but am surprised more pressure is not implemented to acquire the parking lot (which is non conforming by the way) . The development hopefully will be to the corner. In any case, RRC is the best thing for this area and in my mind the HOPE for this area's future. While I am underwhelmed by the idea of a glass cube at Market Square, this project in all of its modernist glory is a welcomed sight /site.

I for one believe the Market lands should be saved for the future needs of RRC and if that means soccer fields on the site for the next 15 years to preserve its future foot print so be it…

Student housing with a grade level market or multi use space is a great idea too!

Less money on new roads and more money on new urban schools. I don't care what they cost, education of young people is priceless and will always be repaid in a multitude of ways for our society in the future.
     
     
  #2964  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 9:52 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Oh, great point on the urban school idea. If we want to attract families downtown, schools are an important part of revitalization efforts.
     
     
  #2965  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 10:05 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
There's a school about 200m west of RRC.
__________________
no
     
     
  #2966  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 10:25 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Is it at capacity I wonder?
     
     
  #2967  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:11 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
theres 4 schools within a 10minut walk of there
     
     
  #2968  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:15 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
     
     
  #2969  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:18 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
How about a new school in the Bay building? I can just imagine many parents not wanting to send their kids to those other schools, save one or two.
     
     
  #2970  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:39 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,199
Here is a great idea for The Bay space -- a focused creative arts high school with the best teaches pulling in students from across the whole city.
     
     
  #2971  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:39 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
How about a new school in the Bay building? I can just imagine many parents not wanting to send their kids to those other schools, save one or two.
     
     
  #2972  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:46 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
If we want to attract families who would otherwise choose the suburbs (esp. because there is not the housing options they want downtown), looking at most of those schools, they do not look like schools said people would find acceptable for their precious children.
     
     
  #2973  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:47 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Here is a great idea for The Bay space -- a focused creative arts high school with the best teaches pulling in students from across the whole city.
Great idea.
     
     
  #2974  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:53 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is online now
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
It may have been mentioned here before, but I say chop the bay in half and cover the center with a glass atrium. Make it into a mixed use building with retail on the ground and maybe even throughout. Lease part as office space and part as a hotel. Heck even throw in a residential unit or two
     
     
  #2975  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:06 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Here is a great idea for The Bay space -- a focused creative arts high school with the best teaches pulling in students from across the whole city.
sounds like argyle
witch is next to the flying saucer
     
     
  #2976  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:11 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
If we want to attract families who would otherwise choose the suburbs (esp. because there is not the housing options they want downtown), looking at most of those schools, they do not look like schools said people would find acceptable for their precious children.
There are private schools and French immersion for yuppie parents who can't stomach the thought of little Jackson or Sophia going to school with immigrants or native kids.

...but seriously. I have not heard anything bad about those schools. WSD 1 has a pretty good reputation. Obviously dealing with kids from diverse backgrounds presents certain challenges, but the reality is that if you opened up a public school in The Bay it would fill up with the people who live in the area, i.e. kids from the exact families going to those other schools.
     
     
  #2977  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:17 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
Once you cut an atrium down the middle from the south, to make it horseshoe shaped, you can fit 200+ spacious residences into the Bay. I don't think that would cost more than building a new highrise.

Cory's idea has merit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
If we want to attract families who would otherwise choose the suburbs (esp. because there is not the housing options they want downtown), looking at most of those schools, they do not look like schools said people would find acceptable for their precious children.

What's the worst that could happen at an elementary school? They fall in with a group of rough and tumble hopscotch players?

I do think downtown could use a new elementary school, just not in either of those locations. The Bay is really close to Sister McNamara, already. There are a lot of families in Bro 🞵🞵🞵 right now, and they bus their kids to a school elsewhere. The Bay is still too far for a lot of kids to go. Something on Garry or Fort close to Broadway would work, and accommodate kids in the Forks residences, but that isn't far from Fort Rouge school on Mayfair. If there were one place for downtown to get a new school, I'd put it on Westbrook, next to the noisy part of the tracks, where it would serve the growing east Exchange population, and future residents of the Forks, P&M, and south Portage.
__________________
no
     
     
  #2978  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:25 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
There was an idea to cut the Bay building in half, extend Graham to Memorial, and develop residential above. That would be amazing IMO.
     
     
  #2979  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:57 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
I'd hate to see its glorious facade split in half. And making it two buildings would make it harder to redevelop, since it would take two elevator cores and two sprinkler systems, instead of getting the best use out of what already exists.
__________________
no
     
     
  #2980  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 4:33 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Based on the floor plates, most agree it would be best to carve it up, which makes sense.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.