HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8761  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:07 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
     
     
  #8762  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:12 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That's still better than what they would build out here. At least the roof looks like a proper mansard style. In Calgary they're bizarre fantasy theme park versions.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Quarry+...!8m2!3d50.9598364!4d-114.0123883!6m1!1e1
     
     
  #8763  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:15 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Looking through the last few posts, it occurs to me that the vast majority of the world's population would kill to live in the sort of housing usually dismissed in this thread as "ugly". Our standards of esthetics and good taste are very high, it seems.
     
     
  #8764  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:23 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵. That could almost be Gatineau but on a bigger scale.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Rue+de+...a180298a4!8m2!3d45.5008196!4d-75.7030515
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #8765  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:29 PM
matthew6 matthew6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Our standards of esthetics and good taste are very high, it seems.
It just seems to be a waste that we don't live up to the standards we set for ourselves in the early to mid twentieth century.
     
     
  #8766  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:33 PM
matthew6 matthew6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 577
Since Laval comes up here often - I actually think their earlier suburbia has aged well. I like the scale of these houses. They are modest. In my estimation they look much much better than what is being built today.


https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5511288,-...!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i43!6m1!1e1
     
     
  #8767  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:37 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
So a serious question - is the rounded roof on that condo considered a type of mansard roof, or does it have a different name? I wonder because I recently saw something grander but similar on an impressive 19th century building outside Canada and didn't know what the style was called.
     
     
  #8768  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:11 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
Since Laval comes up here often - I actually think their earlier suburbia has aged well. I like the scale of these houses. They are modest. In my estimation they look much much better than what is being built today.


https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5511288,-...!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i43!6m1!1e1
That looks like pretty standard post war suburbia. Lots of stuff like that around the country. I agree it's infinitely better than today's garage fronted homes.
     
     
  #8769  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:22 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That looks like pretty standard post war suburbia. Lots of stuff like that around the country. I agree it's infinitely better than today's garage fronted homes.
Most of the Laval that I am familiar with looks like that (a friend used to live up there). The only difference I noticed from comparable suburbs elsewhere in Canada is the extraordinary number of backyard swimming pools. That has been commented on before.
     
     
  #8770  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:38 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Most of the Laval that I am familiar with looks like that (a friend used to live up there). The only difference I noticed from comparable suburbs elsewhere in Canada is the extraordinary number of backyard swimming pools. That has been commented on before.
All of Greater Montreal is full of pools. Hot humid summers. I'm guessing southern Ontario would be the same.
     
     
  #8771  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:41 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
All of Greater Montreal is full of pools. Hot humid summers. I'm guessing southern Ontario would be the same.

There are a decent number of pools in southern Ontario compared to the west, but nowhere near the levels of Quebec. Check out the differences between Gatineau and Ottawa - it's very obvious when flying out of the city. Quebeckers LOVE their pools.
     
     
  #8772  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:45 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
All of Greater Montreal is full of pools. Hot humid summers. I'm guessing southern Ontario would be the same.
Not nearly to the same degree, istm. Opinion seems pretty evenly split in Ontario re whether a backyard pool is an asset or a liability, or at least that has always been my impression. I suspect that, with water and hydro costs, it can be a considerably more expensive proposition than in Montreal.
     
     
  #8773  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:11 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That's still better than what they would build out here. At least the roof looks like a proper mansard style. In Calgary they're bizarre fantasy theme park versions.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Quarry+...!8m2!3d50.9598364!4d-114.0123883!6m1!1e1
A Mansard roof is designed to give the impression of a roof/attic when it's actually functional space. It's key feature are windows. If this barrel roof style is a version of a Mansard than it's completely fake.
     
     
  #8774  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:19 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Not nearly to the same degree, istm. Opinion seems pretty evenly split in Ontario re whether a backyard pool is an asset or a liability, or at least that has always been my impression. I suspect that, with water and hydro costs, it can be a considerably more expensive proposition than in Montreal.
High maintenance costs certainly factor in. I'm curious how big cottage life is in the Montreal area. Is it as big as in Ontario? That would play a role as well. My neighbourhood is a ghost town on the weekend.
     
     
  #8775  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:22 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
High maintenance costs certainly factor in. I'm curious how big cottage life is in the Montreal area. Is it as big as in Ontario? That would play a role as well. My neighbourhood is a ghost town on the weekend.
I wondered whether "cottage life" doesn't factor in to that as well. Cottage people are less likely to go for the backyard pool, istm, although some would have both.
     
     
  #8776  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:59 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Not nearly to the same degree, istm. Opinion seems pretty evenly split in Ontario re whether a backyard pool is an asset or a liability, or at least that has always been my impression. I suspect that, with water and hydro costs, it can be a considerably more expensive proposition than in Montreal.
The debate about the effect of a pool on the value of your property exists in Quebec as well. (Though I am not sure if it is couched in the same terms as in Ontario.)

Obviously, it's based on a number of factors: is it in-ground or above-ground? Does it take up the entire lot or only part of it? What kind of house goes along with the pool ()? A two-storey mansion or a small semi-detached?

I have an in-ground pool that takes up about one-third of the backyard. It's private enough that you can swim naked in the middle of the day if you want to.

In the market I live this is seen as a *plus*.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #8777  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:58 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
High maintenance costs certainly factor in. I'm curious how big cottage life is in the Montreal area. Is it as big as in Ontario? That would play a role as well. My neighbourhood is a ghost town on the weekend.
"Secondary residence" life is big in the Montreal area as well. Either with cottages in a setting similar to Muskoka in the Laurentians, or country houses in the Eastern Townships.

But backyard pools are still very popular. Many people in Quebec have both, from what I can gather.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #8778  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:27 PM
GreaterMontréal's Avatar
GreaterMontréal GreaterMontréal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,628
A lot of the cottages are situated right next to ''ski'' mountains.
     
     
  #8779  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:55 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
That was my impression. I wasn't sure though.

It would be interesting to have a year over year (decade over decade) comparison between the number of public pools in each respective city. My neighbourhood has a few private backyard pool but, less than you would think given the backyard can be large and people could afford it. The local community pool down the street is extremely busy at all times in the warm months even with so many out of town at their cottages
     
     
  #8780  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:58 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
A lot of the cottages are situated right next to ''ski'' mountains.
Yes, this is a big advantage that Laurentian chalets have over Muskoka!
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:51 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.