HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8741  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 10:23 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
Have you seen most seniors condos?! That one's actually alright. For starters it doesn't have tacky fake stone, beige stucco or a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 clock tower.
     
     
  #8742  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 10:37 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
I managed to snag some pics of this creepy 🞵🞵🞵 tree in front of a house just outside the city.



One for every victim...
     
     
  #8743  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 12:42 AM
srperrycgy's Avatar
srperrycgy srperrycgy is offline
I'm the bear on the right
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary (Killarney)
Posts: 1,670
Good grief, where the hell is that?
__________________
Stevinder.
* * * * * *
     
     
  #8744  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 1:10 AM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Good grief, where the hell is that?
Glenmore just before the Shepard power Plant and 100 St. Here's a close up:

     
     
  #8745  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:52 AM
srperrycgy's Avatar
srperrycgy srperrycgy is offline
I'm the bear on the right
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary (Killarney)
Posts: 1,670
OK. Thanks....I think.
__________________
Stevinder.
* * * * * *
     
     
  #8746  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:10 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
Love it! So 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 weird it goes back around to being interesting.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #8747  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 1:59 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Awesome for target practice.
     
     
  #8748  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 2:11 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
This retirement tower, likely bustling with NIMBY's, was built about 3 years ago, and is an eyesore. It's located in a rather grotesque area of Mississauga, full of rich schmucks and townhousing for a nearby University:

[IMG]Stank by Joshua Kennington Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Ass by Joshua Kennington Photographics, on Flickr[/IMG]
I keep looking at those photos and puzzling over what's "ugly" in the context of Canadian suburbia and how "rich schmucks" contribute to the "ugly". I don't get it.
     
     
  #8749  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:36 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,323


Agreed. There's nothing ugly at all about this vantage point. If you don't like it, we'll gladly take it in Moncton.

I also don't get this guys aversion to "rich schmucks". I presume he must be a socialist hipster from Toronto who hasn't had any job better than being a Starbucks barrista his entire life.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #8750  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 4:53 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


Agreed. There's nothing ugly at all about this vantage point. If you don't like it, we'll gladly take it in Moncton.

I also don't get this guys aversion to "rich schmucks". I presume he must be a socialist hipster from Toronto who hasn't had any job better than being a Starbucks barrista his entire life.
There's really no need to insult people like that. Not every 'socialist' is a Starbucks barista btw. The funny part is I swear almost any white collar professional who had to try working at Starbucks or retail of any kind for a day would probably blow a gasket. I think it should be mandatory for everyone in society to work a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 retail job at some point so they wouldn't be such 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 to people.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM.
     
     
  #8751  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:14 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
There's really no need to insult people like that. Not every 'socialist' is a Starbucks barista btw. The funny part is I swear almost any white collar professional who had to try working at Starbucks or retail of any kind for a day would probably blow a gasket. I think it should be mandatory for everyone in society to work a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 retail job at some point so they would be more sympathetic to baristas and not look down their noses at them.
Well, unfair perceptions can work both ways. Many socialist hipsters have no idea what sort of pressures can exist for privileged white collar professionals like physicians, constantly making life and death decisions and frequently working 10-11 hour days (not including call responsibilities causing loss of sleep and creating even more mental fog & fatigue). They have no appreciation for the fact that to get to a "privileged" position can take 13 or more years of university and residency and the accumulation of huge amounts of debt (which in turn creates even more stress and anxiety, financial this time). Professionals have made a large investment in what they have become, only to be considered by some others as being only "rich schmucks", which I consider as being nothing more than character assassination.

And yes, I've had my share of crappy jobs as I've progressed in my career, working as a warehouseman and furniture delivery person in the summertime while funding my university education. I've seen the other side. I'm not sure the OP has seen the other side of the "rich schmucks"...........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #8752  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:26 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
I saw this thing yesterday. It's a bit overcast and hard to tell but it was canary yellow stucco with red tile roof.

     
     
  #8753  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:28 PM
Harrij's Avatar
Harrij Harrij is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 151
I don't know how NIMBYs would how populate a building that's literally the definition of something NIMBYs love to oppose.

Anyways, it's a decent little tower, nothing awful or special. Would probably be the nicest suburban high-rise in Edmonton by some distance, lol. I get that Toronto forumers have high standards and I understand why, but man, you really gotta see some of the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 out West.
     
     
  #8754  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:30 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, unfair perceptions can work both ways. Many socialist hipsters have no idea what sort of pressures can exist for privileged white collar professionals like physicians, constantly making life and death decisions and frequently working 10-11 hour days (not including call responsibilities causing loss of sleep and creating even more mental fog & fatigue). They have no appreciation for the fact that to get to a "privileged" position can take 13 or more years of university and residency and the accumulation of huge amounts of debt (which in turn creates even more stress and anxiety, financial this time). Professionals have made a large investment in what they have become, only to be considered by some others as being only "rich schmucks", which I consider as being nothing more than character assassination.

And yes, I've had my share of crappy jobs as I've progressed in my career, working as a warehouseman and furniture delivery person in the summertime while funding my university education. I've seen the other side. I'm not sure the OP has seen the other side of the "rich schmucks"...........
Rich schmucks is also an over reach I'll admit. I was mostly just baffled by the choice of that inoffensive condo building for the ugly Canada thread.
     
     
  #8755  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:33 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrij View Post
I don't know how NIMBYs would how populate a building that's literally the definition of something NIMBYs love to oppose.

Anyways, it's a decent little tower, nothing awful or special. Would probably be the nicest suburban high-rise in Edmonton by some distance, lol. I get that Toronto forumers have high standards and I understand why, but man, you really gotta see some of the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 out West.
Lol! Yes! Compared with the Venetian or any number of our fugly stucco high rises it's downright gorgeous!
     
     
  #8756  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 5:37 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
It wasn't my first visit to Cross Iron Mills but somehow the ugly was just as jarring!





The sad part is that unlike the standard stucco box condo that is built on a shoe string budget and thus has 🞵🞵🞵🞵 materials, this place invested tons of money into decor that belongs in a children's theme park. I don't get it.

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 26, 2017 at 6:30 PM.
     
     
  #8757  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 6:17 PM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,820
Best times I ever had in malls was as a child getting to run around and see all the stuff. That is what they are for! Deerfoot with all the fountains back in the day was my favorite.
     
     
  #8758  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 8:53 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Yeah, that building (top of this page) looks really good. IMO, it's much nicer than most postwar Canadian buildings of such volumetry, in fact (of which the quintessential sample would be a repulsive commie block).
     
     
  #8759  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:39 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,251
I found Calgary's Clocktower on the weekend up in the far NW:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.1498616,-...0GURuSTtoE8hw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Not sure if these townhomes are part of the same complex or not but they're equally fugly:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.1517664,-...2ojDUHGCGgOPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
     
     
  #8760  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:55 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrij View Post
I don't know how NIMBYs would how populate a building that's literally the definition of something NIMBYs love to oppose.

Anyways, it's a decent little tower, nothing awful or special. Would probably be the nicest suburban high-rise in Edmonton by some distance, lol. I get that Toronto forumers have high standards and I understand why, but man, you really gotta see some of the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 out West.
Dude, It's one guy's opinion!


Is this Toronto?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8093765,-...J8zQsxLHqgdN67DZMmVqw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.