HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2481  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:27 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
There will be no Midtown Development Review Committee Meeting this month. That's two months in a row.
ughghgghhgghgh
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2482  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 10:04 PM
BunkyWay BunkyWay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 100
This development cycle is ending.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2483  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:07 PM
RocketSurgeon RocketSurgeon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,041
My gut says Atlanta has outgrown on/off development cycles. We'll bounce between having a lot of development and a moderate amount, but I don't see it completely stopping ever again unless there's another economic catastrophe. It's too strong of a market now--it's in its own category for this region, really.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2484  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:13 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,717
Lots of ground activity going on at Whole Foods and north side MOB in midtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2485  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:40 AM
atlwarrior atlwarrior is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 449
Of course, the development cycle is not over for Midtown, but what a run and a breather is definitely needed. No one would have ever predicted this run.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2486  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:07 AM
L.ARCH L.ARCH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 622
I'm hopeful a few more will start before the cycle slows to a halt; SLS, the other 13th street tower, and maybe 1105 West Peachtree? That would be a nice way to wrap up this round of development IMO.

Last edited by L.ARCH; Mar 11, 2017 at 2:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2487  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 2:45 AM
jwbab jwbab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
I'm hopeful a few more will start before the cycle slows to a halt; SLS, the other 13th street tower, and maybe 1050 West Peachtree? That would be a nice way to wrap up this round of development IMO.
With respect to the Lennar 195 13th Street tower, Fulton county property records show Lennar closed on both the 13th street properties and their economic development bonds with the Fulton County Development Authority this week.

With the tenants in the subject properties all moved out and the demolition permits ready to issue, this one could get started any day now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2488  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:08 AM
Vaden Vaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 107
I don't know whether or not it is ending, but it is definitely going into a slowdown. I think a lot of builders are waiting to take a look at the economic readers in the near future before they launch. It's looking like a bit of a pause, but a few others may start in Midtown.

On the other hand, development seems to be increasing in Buckhead and several suburbs. Buckhead Village is on fire right now, while the other Buckhead up the road seems to be slowing. The list for Buckhead Village is long: The townhouses on Andrews Dr., Hanover Buckhead, The Sutton, Modera Buckhead, Solis Peachtree, Gables Buckhead, 359 E. Paces Ferry, Hanover East Paces, Alexan Pharr Rd., the Aaron's conversion, plus the possibility of the Charles and the Emerson starting. This is a vast array of development for such a small district, touching nearly every block. Not to mention the MANY projects going on in Cumberland, Sandy Springs, and Alpharetta. I would argue that Atlanta development is changing from just high rises to more human scaled developments all over large parts of the metro. This development boom has been different for sure.

Last edited by Vaden; Mar 11, 2017 at 3:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2489  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:11 AM
jwbab jwbab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 420
These are the major projects in Midtown that have been announced this cycle but have not broken ground:
  1. Opus No. 2 (98 14th Street) - Sales Center expected to open in April
  2. Yoo on Peachtree (1138 Peachtree) - No significant action on permits since 2014 - went before DRC with revised plan mid-2016
  3. Peachtree at 17th (The Simpson Organization Project) - From what I understand this one is dead
  4. SLS Atlanta Hotel & Residences (1122 Crescent) - Still expected to open in 2019 per company website - recent progress on demolition permits
  5. Eviva Peachtree (811 Peachtree) - Land development permit ready to issue since July 2015; Vertical build permit marked as "terminated" September 2016; no permit activity since
  6. 1105 West Peachtree - Recently announced -
  7. Campanile Expansion - No significant activity since announcement
  8. 195 13th Street - See my last post - could start any day now
  9. Hampton Inn & Suites (1231 W Peachtree) - Site demolition completed about a year ago - no site activity or permit activity since
  10. 640 Peachtree Hotel - no significant activity since initial announcement - I have seen site on some websites recently as being marketed for sale - This one may have been scrapped
  11. Juniper & 5th - Demolition permits issued this week
  12. Spring House (SCAD) - Nothing
  13. Colony Square - Recent DRC presentation - No site activity that I am aware of
  14. Emory Proton Treatment Center - Recent Presentation before Invest Atlanta indicates they expect it to be operational by the end of 2017 with full ramp up early 2018 - it seems they have resolved or are about to resolve their financing issues
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2490  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:26 AM
RATBOYKEV RATBOYKEV is offline
Kev K
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
  1. Colony Square - Recent DRC presentation - No site activity that I am aware of
NAP is targeting a November 17 start date and pre-leasing has gone "great" according to their representative I spoke to yesterday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2491  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:07 AM
One ATLien One ATLien is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 135
I think the Charles is going to break ground soon. I noticed the Fish Hawk store on site completely empty on the inside the other night
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2492  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 4:13 AM
One ATLien One ATLien is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
NAP is targeting a November 17 start date and pre-leasing has gone "great" according to their representative I spoke to yesterday.
That's much later then I expected, I thought they would have started by now.. Did they not want to open by summer of next year in time for the 50th anniversary? Seems unlikely now
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2493  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 5:54 PM
atlwarrior atlwarrior is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 449
Hopeful this brief slow down will see if Midtown Atlanta qualifies for something super tall. I love density, but the 20 to 30 type story building is getting old. I think leasing demand will remain high and some excellence quality projects will be announced in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2494  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 6:21 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Hopeful this brief slow down will see if Midtown Atlanta qualifies for something super tall. I love density, but the 20 to 30 type story building is getting old. I think leasing demand will remain high and some excellence quality projects will be announced in the future.
I agree- would be nice to see some improved quality projects proposed and off the ground. A few taller projects would be nice. I also hope it means better design standards can be implemented for the city as a whole. Time Keane's planning updates will take a while to implement, but here's hoping we can see real progress in the time being. Reduced parking requirements for example would be a fantastic start.

As for what's already proposed, I want to see 1105 W Peachtree get off the ground the most. I think it would be huge in connecting more of Midtown west of Peachtree and between Arts Center and Midtown station. W. Peachtree could transform into everything the slew of parking decks along Spring Street in the same vicinity is not. 195 13th/Lennar I'm okay with, although I wish it was taller for more views of Piedmont and I'd rather see rooftop amenities instead of them on a parking deck. Throw in SLS and/or Yoo/1138... well... it will make Midtown that much more of an urban, walkable neighborhood. I think there will be a big push and pull of which neighborhoods are most interesting to live in the next decade or so between Midtown and those along the EST. West Midtown is great too, I just find it too disconnected at the time being with no park and limited transit between it and other nearby destinations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2495  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 9:50 PM
tdawg's Avatar
tdawg tdawg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,986
With San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia (and Miami I believe) putting up towers taller than Bank of America Plaza, I'd love to a really iconic supertall proposed for Atlanta in the near future.
__________________
From my head via my fingers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2496  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:07 AM
Driver8 Driver8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 256
Driving around Midtown today I saw a couple major construction sites that are in the early stages, but I'm not sure what projects are going up there.

Could someone identify the projects?

1. On Williams Street at 16th Street, just before the ramp leading to I75. Looks like vertical construction recently began.

2. On West Peachtree Street a large parcel has been cleared on the left side of the road, adjacent to the NCR site. Is that phase 2 of NCR or something else?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2497  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:14 AM
West Peachtree West Peachtree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 203
ALEXAN 880 at West Peachtree St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Driving around Midtown today I saw a couple major construction sites that are in the early stages, but I'm not sure what projects are going up there.

Could someone identify the projects?

1. On Williams Street at 16th Street, just before the ramp leading to I75. Looks like vertical construction recently began.

2. On West Peachtree Street a large parcel has been cleared on the left side of the road, adjacent to the NCR site. Is that phase 2 of NCR or something else?
Can't help on # 1 but but on the left side of West Peachtree at 7th…....

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_...ammel-crow-residential-to-redevelop.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2498  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:21 AM
Driver8 Driver8 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Can't help on # 1 but but on the left side of West Peachtree at 7th…....

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_...ammel-crow-residential-to-redevelop.html
Ah, that's definitely it - thanks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2499  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:27 AM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Can't help on # 1 but but on the left side of West Peachtree at 7th…....

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_...ammel-crow-residential-to-redevelop.html
1270 Spring is the other project

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_...s-joins-other-developers-betting-on.html

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2500  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:38 AM
rgreen2206 rgreen2206 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
With San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia (and Miami I believe) putting up towers taller than Bank of America Plaza, I'd love to a really iconic supertall proposed for Atlanta in the near future.
The best location for an impactfull supertall would be Dewberry's 10th St. location. But as he is only 52 and may live to be 82, We could be waiting 30 years. Where is Coca-Cola? They could build a huge project in Midtown if they ever deign to relocate. It will take a major corporate move or relocation to get to the kind of statement that Comcast is making in Philadelphia. It is great to see the infill and street level development. But is 22 stories what gets you excited? I want to see both.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.