HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3701  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 1:05 AM
dennis dennis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,336
I do not find Stella's price that much different than Salisbury House. It is a bit higher, but the quality is definitely better. As for Sals breakfast, you get real eggs (Not the processed liquefied eggs in cartons), nice shredded hash browns and good to ok sausage bacon or ham. Their rye toast seems reminds me of natural bakery rye. Not the best but ok. What more could you ask for. McDs turns my stomach.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3702  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:56 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Saying that you finally got around to trying Stella's last year and found it expensive and pretentious is a crotchety old man statement even by your standards, Riverman. The Cafe Breakfast is about as cheap as most bacon and eggs breakfasts but their hashbrowns are better, you can get sourdough toast that they make at their own bakery, and they make their own delicious jam. But these are just the opinions of a pretentious food snob.

That said, you're absolutely right about Luda's. I'd say they have the best club sandwich going in the city too.


As for Salisbury, they really need to open a downtown location again. I miss their old location in the Greyhound depot, and the Pembina and Stafford location is just a bit too out of my way when I want to drunkenly eat kielbasa at 3am.
No way man! Luda's fried potatoes and the sausages beat all comers. What is Stella's, $12?

By the way if I have you craving Luda's, don't bother. There are closed until the 17th for a family vacation.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3703  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 3:53 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Tried Have a Nice Day today. Cold weiners and stale buns. Tots with pico were good though.

Can't see it lasting, seems more like a hangout than anything else. People sitting in there using the wifi drinking Starbucks coffee.
This is too bad, I had high hopes. And I thought a hotdog would be hard to screw up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3704  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:09 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
The dogs were cheese stuffed and bacon wrapped, then deep fried. But they were cooked ahead of time and warmed up when ordered.

I had high hopes too. Shame there are no real good hot dog places here. Except for carts of course!
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3705  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:36 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Luda's $4.99 special.
It's actually $3.99 (I am there every Friday for breakfast).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3706  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 4:44 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Correct!
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3707  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:08 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Well, atleast we can collectively agree that Sals is dead!

As for Stella's? It's great. Don't be put off by the pretentious, barely employed hipsters, because they come with a perk... they do food well, and they go where good food is.

I haven't heard of Luda's, but I'll give that a shot. Because it's not that STella's is expensive... it isn't, really, it's market... it's that Luda's is damn cheap.

Which is a-ok in my books.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3708  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:27 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
(I am there every Friday for breakfast).
Me too!
__________________
Get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3709  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:32 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Garryish
Posts: 1,110
For those who have big appetites and enjoy their breakfast, come and try the Railroad breakfast at Spike's Grill in the basement of the Spike Hotel in Transcona. It's a breakfast that you'll never forget - delivered on two platters. Three pieces of toast, three eggs on one plate and bacon, ham, sausage, kubasa and a heaping pile of seasoned home fries on another. I swear this can feed a family. I've never ordered it because their regular breakfasts are already quite large. But I had a couple of co-workers that tried it. One finished it and the other couldn't - these were two big boys. The Railroad breakfast is less than 12 bucks and I have to say that all their food is quite delicious.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3710  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:53 PM
rkspec rkspec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I have to say that all their food is quite delicious.
i would never have thought to stop and eat at the spike...drink maybe, but i guess i'm judging a book by its cover.

good to know as i live not too far lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3711  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:23 AM
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Assiniboia, Man.
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Saw a sign today at the ZaPizza at City Place that they are looking for help for a location around the 1400 block of Ellice Ave.
Every time I go to that mall there's a lineup at Za's. Pretty classy place compared to the former pizza one before, though I'd like it if they also offered slices too.
__________________
Buh-bye
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3712  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 8:26 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Mentioned this in construction thread, but there is a restaurant going in the Dayton building under the loft portion of the new Snap Fitness. It will use the former 4Play entrance on Hargrave... don't know anything about it yet, but construction is happening right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3713  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 8:27 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
As for Salisbury, they really need to open a downtown location again. I miss their old location in the Greyhound depot, and the Pembina and Stafford location is just a bit too out of my way when I want to drunkenly eat kielbasa at 3am.
I actually think a Sals would be a much better fit for the bus station than the Garbonzo's. Yuck. That place is soul sucking. Yes, U of W needs a campus bar/pub - but my god.. does it have to be Garbonzo's?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3714  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 8:52 PM
trebor204's Avatar
trebor204 trebor204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 764
There's a Sals Express at the Medical Arts Building.
Before Greyhound moved , Sals did have a location at Greyhound Station.

Last edited by trebor204; Mar 13, 2017 at 1:34 AM. Reason: Fix spelling mistake
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3715  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:20 PM
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Assiniboia, Man.
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I actually think a Sals would be a much better fit for the bus station than the Garbonzo's. Yuck. That place is soul sucking. Yes, U of W needs a campus bar/pub - but my god.. does it have to be Garbonzo's?
What I hate about Garbonzo's and is too many hang on the wall Tvs set to some sports channel.

Otherwise the food is fine. The serving staff are friendly.
__________________
Buh-bye
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3716  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 10:23 PM
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Assiniboia, Man.
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
There's a Sals Express at the Medical Arts Building.
Before Greyhound moved , Sals did have a location at Grey Station.
That Sals Express is a dump. Serving staff are unpretty to look at.
__________________
Buh-bye
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3717  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 11:58 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
There's a Sals Express at the Medical Arts Building.
Before Greyhound moved , Sals did have a location at Grey Station.
What a laugh that location is.
Closes before 3 pm. I had a Dr appt. in that building early afternoon and when it ended, @ 1:45 pm they had no more soups, a basic staple for them and were out of almost anything including desserts and cinnamon buns etc....
I was scolded for not knowing they close before 3 pm by the server who was on the phone and kept me awhile and seemed disinterested to start having to make me something.
They need a prominent downtown spot. Bright and cheery like their newest locations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3718  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:40 AM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
That Sals Express is a dump. Serving staff are unpretty to look at.
You've described literally every sals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3719  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:55 AM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
What a laugh that location is.
Closes before 3 pm. I had a Dr appt. in that building early afternoon and when it ended, @ 1:45 pm they had no more soups, a basic staple for them and were out of almost anything including desserts and cinnamon buns etc....
I was scolded for not knowing they close before 3 pm by the server who was on the phone and kept me awhile and seemed disinterested to start having to make me something.
They need a prominent downtown spot. Bright and cheery like their newest locations.
The Medical Arts Building location feels more like an employee cafeteria that happens to be operated by Sals than an actual Salisbury House. To some extent I'm surprised it's still open.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3720  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 4:56 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Every time I go to that mall there's a lineup at Za's. Pretty classy place compared to the former pizza one before, though I'd like it if they also offered slices too.
The similar Pizza Hotline in Winnipeg Square is always packed too with long lines. It has, in my opinion, a superior stone fired oven v the convenor toaster oven setup at Za.

Sal's used to have a number of higher profile locations in downtown. The last was one block east of where Hydro now is. I am guessing the low interest and high cost of rent drove them out. It speaks volumes though when Subway can make a go of it on almost every street corner downtown but Sal's can't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.