HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10761  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 2:47 AM
saintjohnirish☘ saintjohnirish☘ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North End, Saint John NB
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Do you have any numbers to back up any of these statements?
I've come across the number before, in a quick google search i found a mention of it: http://www.intelligentcommunity.org/saint_john_new_brunswick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'd say SJ is less precarious than people seem to think. There's a lot of industry in the city that completely flies under the radar. Industries like health sciences and research at UNBSJ/Regional Hospital are examples.
Exactly, what you point out as less precarious are the stable public sector jobs I am talking about and we need more of them. Who is going to invest in a economy in decline? Not a wise investment from a private business perspective. We need the state for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Asking for federal aid is admitting defeat. It's admitting that you messed up and you alone cannot think of any way out of it. SJ's situation isn't that bad, and from a financial standpoint Saint John's debt service cost as a % of total expenditures is lower now than it was 15 years ago (floats around 10%) - it's lower than Moncton, Dieppe, Bathurst, Campbellton, Edmundston...

What does it say to local business when the city admits defeat like that? What does it say to local residents that it's admitted defeat? It would put an end to any momentum in any category you can think of and would evaporate any belief or confidence in the local business market.
This is one of those inherant problems with business folk: they spew good news and almost never come to grips with reality out of fear of scaring away business. You would hope anyone looking to invest would develop a sound business plan and look at the economic, demographic indicators and not just the boosterism you always see. It is not admitting anything other than the reality that this city is in decline and needs help, not a end all be all, but a bit of a boost. If we were successful in attaining some public sector jobs/gov offices what have you, it would only help the businesses in the city anyway. It's a win-win.

The whole idea of "admitting defeat" insinuates we have control over our place in the global economy or over the market. One fact of globalism is that it has taken away agency from government and smaller jurisdictions. Like I said, the decline is out of our control now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Would you care to provide a solution?
I've already argued one. And I agree with you on the need to diversify. Which a boost in public sector jobs would help with. At this point, it is Irving we need to get away from depending on, not the public sector. I haven't been able to find it yet, but I have heard there was a report years ago looking into the Irving monopoly, and that because they are such a large player and own so much, they scare away other businesses from coming in. Makes perfect sense.

I just came across an interesting bit from CBC. Irving even stopped selling Simms brushes at their Kent stores in 2012. Simms was struggling. And you know the rest... Irving got the land, tore down Simms, and used government funds to expand. Vague, but knowing them, they had planned it all along.

What I am saying is if Irving is scaring away business, and the global market has neglected Saint John, Keynesian economics is the best solution as it stands.

Public sector employment isn't defeat. Allowing Irving to turn Saint John into a company town is.

Last edited by saintjohnirish☘; Feb 22, 2017 at 4:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10762  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:11 AM
Fischbob's Avatar
Fischbob Fischbob is offline
New Brunswick Urbanite
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 801
The JDI parking garage goes before PAC this month for Section 39 conditions related to the project. Some additional plans and renders can be found starting on page 45 of this PDF: http://www.saintjohn.ca/site/media/SaintJohn/PAC%20Package%20February%202017.pdf
__________________
“The street is the river of life of the city, the place where we come together, the pathway to the center.” –William H. Whyte

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10763  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 12:39 PM
uptownres uptownres is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 18
I live right next to the proposed garage. While I'm not opposed to the notion of replacing multiple surface lots with a garage, I'm not sure that I understand the need to fill in a city street and occupy several lots that were once residential lots. Is there not sufficient space adjacent to the JDI headquarters on Union for a multi-story parking garage?

I'm not trying to be NIMBY (even if it would literally be in my back yard - the renderings are from my building) - just trying to retain space to keep that uptown population boom going!

Beyond that, Wentworth is a notoriously slippery and steep slope for cars in the winter. Putting the entrance to the garage at Elliot Row & Wentworth would strike me as a sketchy move. Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on Carmarthen?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10764  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 3:45 PM
kwajo's Avatar
kwajo kwajo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uptown, Saint John
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownres View Post
I live right next to the proposed garage. While I'm not opposed to the notion of replacing multiple surface lots with a garage, I'm not sure that I understand the need to fill in a city street and occupy several lots that were once residential lots. Is there not sufficient space adjacent to the JDI headquarters on Union for a multi-story parking garage?

I'm not trying to be NIMBY (even if it would literally be in my back yard - the renderings are from my building) - just trying to retain space to keep that uptown population boom going!

Beyond that, Wentworth is a notoriously slippery and steep slope for cars in the winter. Putting the entrance to the garage at Elliot Row & Wentworth would strike me as a sketchy move. Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on Carmarthen?
I have to agree, I don't understand why they prefer the former Elliott Row over the lot they own on Union next door. Then again, I was against selling
Elliott Row in the first place because it meant losing its development potential, so my objection to this project is moot I suppose since the City already made the first deal, the development of that block is basically impossible now.

The other thing that always bugs me is that they talk about consolidating parking from sixteen other surface lots into this parking structure, but make no mention of intent to divest themselves of those surface lots for commercial, residential or other development. If they build this garage and also sell of land, then I'm all in favour because it'll really help the neighbourhood, but they haven't given any indication that they intent to do so, and JDI is notorious for never giving up land they already own.

Last edited by kwajo; Feb 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10765  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:28 PM
Helladog's Avatar
Helladog Helladog is offline
Unregistered Loser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NB
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I have to agree, I don't understand why they prefer the former Elliott Row over the lot they own on Union next door. Then again, I was against selling
Elliott Row in the first place because it meant losing its development potential, so my objection to this project is moot I suppose since the City already made the first deal, the development of that block is basically impossible now.

The other thing that always bugs me is that they talk about consolidating parking from sixteen other surface lots into this parking structure, but make no mention of intent to divest themselves of those surface lots for commercial, residential or other development. If they build this garage and also sell of land, then I'm all in favour because it'll really help the neighbourhood, but they haven't given any indication that they intent to do so, and JDI is notorious for never giving up land they already own.
I agree with you. I always thought a garage on union would make sense, and didn't like the prospect of closing a city street. I hope at least they sell the surplus land to developers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10766  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:39 PM
michael_d40 michael_d40 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I agree with you. I always thought a garage on union would make sense, and didn't like the prospect of closing a city street. I hope at least they sell the surplus land to developers.
I've always thought it was because they could easily build a carbon building in the lot next door and simply connect them with a pedway. I don't foresee it happening, but if it were to happen, they already have the land cleared and would be able to do that, and just add a few more levels to the parking garage they are building on Elliott Row.
__________________
:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10767  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:25 PM
saintjohnirish☘ saintjohnirish☘ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North End, Saint John NB
Posts: 119
In museum news, nothing budgeted for a new building (maybe on the waterfront?)

Was surprised to see $76 million for a government office in Fredericton though. You'd think the oldest continuing museum in Canada's oldest incorporated city would be a 'Canada 150' priority, no? Especially given the state of the museums facilities.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/tourism-centennial-building-canada-150-1.3992721
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10768  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:43 AM
CdnEh CdnEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 431
Why the hell is the renovation of an office building being touted as a "Canada 150" project

What cultural significance does an office building have?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10769  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:39 PM
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Why the hell is the renovation of an office building being touted as a "Canada 150" project

What cultural significance does an office building have?
It's New Brunswick's finest contribution to 20th-Century architecture, and it was originally built as a 1967 Centennial Project. It's a reminder of a turning point in NB, Canadian and Western culture.

I am very in favour of including the museum, but it's undeniable that the Centennial building is deserving of Canada 150.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10770  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:21 PM
saintjohnirish☘ saintjohnirish☘ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North End, Saint John NB
Posts: 119
The museum should no doubt be the priority. The centennial is just an office building from the 60s, not the finest era of architecture. Even if it was, it is still just an office building

Last edited by saintjohnirish☘; Feb 25, 2017 at 8:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10771  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 8:35 PM
Freddypop's Avatar
Freddypop Freddypop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Go Pats!
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohnirish☘ View Post
The museum should no doubt be the priority. The centennial is just an office building from the 60s, not the finest era of architecture. Even if it was, it is still just an office building
Not just an office building. Has cultural and historical value as well as the home of the new NB Court of Queens Bench and Chief Justice (Our supreme court) which is currently falling apart. Saint John and Moncton have recently received court upgrades. Our turn.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/news/news_release.2017.01.0033.html

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Depar...trimoine/HistoryOfCentennialBuilding.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10772  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 10:20 PM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Not just an office building. Has cultural and historical value as well as the home of the new NB Court of Queens Bench and Chief Justice (Our supreme court) which is currently falling apart. Saint John and Moncton have recently received court upgrades. Our turn.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/news/news_release.2017.01.0033.html

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Depar...trimoine/HistoryOfCentennialBuilding.pdf
Not only that but it was also a major named project for the Centennial in 1967 which is now in need of work. So the logic seems to make sense to upgrade this facility to keep the original investment alive...along the same vein I'm hoping to see some investment into Centennial Park for Moncton which could use a new bridge (planned about 5 years ago but hasn't happened yet). Is there a "Centennial" project in SJ that may be in the same boat? I have a feeling there is but it's slipping my mind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10773  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:59 PM
saintjohnirish☘ saintjohnirish☘ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North End, Saint John NB
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Not only that but it was also a major named project for the Centennial in 1967 which is now in need of work. So the logic seems to make sense to upgrade this facility to keep the original investment alive...along the same vein I'm hoping to see some investment into Centennial Park for Moncton which could use a new bridge (planned about 5 years ago but hasn't happened yet). Is there a "Centennial" project in SJ that may be in the same boat? I have a feeling there is but it's slipping my mind.
Yeah I believe so... Centennial School in the north end, and the provincial government is trying to close it

NB Museum on Douglas Ave— a public space— is literally falling apart. It is greek revival which they also are talking about tearing down. It's unacceptable. The provincial museum trumps a government office
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10774  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 12:34 AM
UptownJeff UptownJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Posts: 523
I understand that there is a press conference tomorrow at 10 with the Feds, discover Saint John and the city. Wonder what this is about.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10775  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:41 AM
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 1,242
People need to understand that nobody in charge of this sat down and said,

Quote:
Museum? NAH, we'll just repair our government office (because we here at Trudeau Government, inc. are so greedy) while the provincial museum sits and rots. Wow, I sure do hate New Brunswick.
If you wanted the museum to be a Canada 150 project you should have campaigned to make it one.

Just because the Centennial Building got on the list doesn't mean the museum will never be fixed. It's also not "just an office building", it's a culturally significant building that only really got Canada 150 status because the province is building the new courthouse anyway.

Even if you hate it architecturally (I love it) the significance of the Centennial Building is undeniable. It's the province's strongest reminder of an era that revolutionized our economy, worldview, language and way of life.

The museum will get what it needs, we might just have to wait. Neither the feds or province are stupid enough to let it go too far. I don't see how it suddenly becomes so much more important to address the museum issue when people here weren't up in arms until somebody pointed fingers at Fredericton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10776  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:56 AM
CdnEh CdnEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 431
So the only argument for the Centennial Building being "culturally significant" is the fact that it was built 50 years ago?

The Centennial building is an asbestos-filled concrete box office building. It is not culturally, nor even architecturally significant in any way. It is as cookie cutter as a 1960s era office building can get. Might as well have invested those millions into Brunswick Square if that is the criteria.

As of last year, the building was only 32% occupied. Thirty two.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10777  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:59 AM
CdnEh CdnEh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
People need to understand that nobody in charge of this sat down and said,



If you wanted the museum to be a Canada 150 project you should have campaigned to make it one.

Just because the Centennial Building got on the list doesn't mean the museum will never be fixed. It's also not "just an office building", it's a culturally significant building that only really got Canada 150 status because the province is building the new courthouse anyway.

Even if you hate it architecturally (I love it) the significance of the Centennial Building is undeniable. It's the province's strongest reminder of an era that revolutionized our economy, worldview, language and way of life.

The museum will get what it needs, we might just have to wait. Neither the feds or province are stupid enough to let it go too far. I don't see how it suddenly becomes so much more important to address the museum issue when people here weren't up in arms until somebody pointed fingers at Fredericton.
The point is that the NB Museum needs it NOW. The roof is literally on the verge of collapse due to years of neglect and underfunding. They can't just say "well, better luck next time."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10778  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:21 PM
Ire Narissis Ire Narissis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
As of last year, the building was only 32% occupied. Thirty two.
If anything, that makes a good case for the need to renovate it.

The NBM building on Douglas Avenue definitely needs work urgently, but I agree that it's a mistake to label this an either/or situation. There's no reason to believe that not working on the Centennial Building would translate into working on the museum instead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10779  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:35 PM
WharfRat WharfRat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
The NBM building on Douglas Avenue definitely needs work urgently, but I agree that it's a mistake to label this an either/or situation. There's no reason to believe that not working on the Centennial Building would translate into working on the museum instead.
Exactly! I see no correlation between the two.

Do we even know if funds where requested or a proposal was submitted. Has anyone concerned contacted the museum, their MLA or MP? We know the City missed the first deadline for Canada 150 funding.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunsw...anada-150-funding-deputy-mayor-1.3928493
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10780  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 3:56 AM
saintjohnirish☘ saintjohnirish☘ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: North End, Saint John NB
Posts: 119
Maybe it isn't a question of it being an either/or situation. But it is a question of priority and urgency. So to sink $76 million into a 50-year old government office when the provincial public museum, which happens also to be a much older greek-revival structure on the verge of ruin, is clearly an outrageous move. The museum has been asking for only $40 million of funding for a decade, it's not new.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.