HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #16201  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:58 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Proposed service changes in South Surrey, Langley and Maple Ridge here:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Pro...nsit-Network/Transit-Network-Review.aspx

I don't know anything about these neighbourhoods, but if you do, take the survey and let them know what you think!
     
     
  #16202  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:12 AM
Orcair Orcair is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Proposed service changes in South Surrey, Langley and Maple Ridge here:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Pro...nsit-Network/Transit-Network-Review.aspx

I don't know anything about these neighbourhoods, but if you do, take the survey and let them know what you think!
filled it out as soon as it was up - I think the C53/354 changes are an improvement given the relative infrequency of the 531 and lack of service in Morgan Crossing v. White Rock/S Surrey. One of the only things I'm not sure about is if they are going to keep using the Orion V's on the 354 or replace them with a standard bus as described in the updated plan.
     
     
  #16203  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:15 AM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
YouTube Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Proposed service changes in South Surrey, Langley and Maple Ridge here:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Pro...nsit-Network/Transit-Network-Review.aspx

I don't know anything about these neighbourhoods, but if you do, take the survey and let them know what you think!
These are some pretty good improvements especially in the Morgan Area, I also wouldn't mind seeing a 531a route that runs from White Rock centre to the new Grandview Heights pool, I'd imagine only one or two buses would be required to make this section of the line 15 minutes.
     
     
  #16204  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:25 AM
Aroundtheworld Aroundtheworld is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 623
I look at these changes and they seem to be an improvement. However, the frequencies seem way too low. Why offer transit service at all if you are only going to have it every 30 min? Nobody is going to use it except for seniors maybe.
     
     
  #16205  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:59 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Every 30 minutes is a pretty base frequency for new or suburban bus routes. Pretty much every bus route in Richmond comes once every 30 minutes. Seems pretty standard to me. It might not get drivers out their cars for general getting around, but it'll be huge for non-drivers as well as commuters who only need a trip there and back.
     
     
  #16206  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:00 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
I look at these changes and they seem to be an improvement. However, the frequencies seem way too low. Why offer transit service at all if you are only going to have it every 30 min? Nobody is going to use it except for seniors maybe.
Uhm most of the region outside the CoV has 30 minute service (aside from rush hour). Improving most areas to 20 minute service would be a crazy dream for a lot of people.
     
     
  #16207  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 8:05 AM
TransitJack TransitJack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
Since was the minimum stored value load for adult cards $5?

Was loading my mom's adult card at Waterfront and I saw an option for $5
Just this this past weekend for CVMs
     
     
  #16208  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 8:09 AM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Every 30 minutes is a pretty base frequency for new or suburban bus routes. Pretty much every bus route in Richmond comes once every 30 minutes. Seems pretty standard to me. It might not get drivers out their cars for general getting around, but it'll be huge for non-drivers as well as commuters who only need a trip there and back.
The 401 is pretty frequent at times, mind you.
     
     
  #16209  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 8:12 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
I look at these changes and they seem to be an improvement. However, the frequencies seem way too low. Why offer transit service at all if you are only going to have it every 30 min? Nobody is going to use it except for seniors maybe.
Why even offer any transit service at all outside of Vancouver when there may be only 20 or 30 routes that have better service than every 30min?

I actually think some of the route, especially the ones in Maple Ridge, have too much service. Even the areas in more central part of the region have only 60min or 120min off-peak service, while the new service area way out in the exurb gets 45min...

[EDIT] After checking the schedule, the new Surrey routes seems to have better service than any of the existing community shuttle route in Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, White Rock, Delta, and Richmond... Except for maybe the C62 (C62 have service later into the night, but the new route have better evening service).... Why not invest in boosting up existing service to the same standard at least?

Last edited by nname; Feb 15, 2017 at 8:23 AM.
     
     
  #16210  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 8:36 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
The 401 is pretty frequent at times, mind you.
And the 410 is on the Frequent Transit Network, and the 403 has its moments too. But for the most part, 30 minute frequencies in the suburbs is the absolute standard.
     
     
  #16211  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:29 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
YouTube Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
And the 410 is on the Frequent Transit Network, and the 403 has its moments too. But for the most part, 30 minute frequencies in the suburbs is the absolute standard.
I suppose what would be ideal is just building out more ftn corridors to connect with.
     
     
  #16212  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:05 PM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Rational urbanist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I suppose what would be ideal is just building out more ftn corridors to connect with.
Of course it would, and these improvements are identified in the 10 year vision. Funding them is the hard part.
     
     
  #16213  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:29 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
YouTube Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Of course it would, and these improvements are identified in the 10 year vision. Funding them is the hard part.
Well hopefully a new fare system will bring in more revenue allowing the implementation of more ftn.
     
     
  #16214  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:38 PM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Well hopefully a new fare system will bring in more revenue allowing the implementation of more ftn.
And hopefully a new fare system will be a tool to help figure out where riders go to and change routes based on that.
     
     
  #16215  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 9:55 PM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
YouTube Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
And hopefully a new fare system will be a tool to help figure out where riders go to and change routes based on that.
One of the great benefits of a system like compass certainly is the data that can be collected.

Has there bean any talk of allowing compass to be used for NFC payments?
     
     
  #16216  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 10:55 PM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Has there bean any talk of allowing compass to be used for NFC payments?
I'd like that. An app on my phone so I can track usage, reload, that sort of thing. With my phone being in my pocket, I can just hump the reader, if they make the readers less laggy when reading because I sometimes tap, nothing happens, then I tap again and it says "card already tapped". I think last night the machine lagged again after I tapped out at Brighouse because I saw the info from someones monthly pass on the screen.

Gonna check my compass sheeit right now.
     
     
  #16217  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 11:13 PM
retro_orange retro_orange is offline
retro_orange
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,029
Canada line seating

ill post this here:
Quote:
Is it just me or do the seats on the Canada Line trains seem a bit large yet quite uncomfortable?

After taking the Canada Line and the Skytrain recently I was wondering if they switched out all the seats on the Canada Line trains for the seating they use on the new Skytrain cars. Would they would have more floor area for people to stand with the same number of seats.

Another issue I have with the Canada Line seating is that they were designed for people to put their suitcases beneath the seats yet in practice there are no signs to indicate that this is the idea but more glaringly the floor is often too dirty to do so.

Often I see someone with several suitcases sitting in the isle seat with their largest case in the isle and another on their lap or on the floor of the window seat, blocking access to the window seat. I really feel there should be a single seat on one side of the car or on one side switch out the front facing seats for a side facing bench running the length of the train. (space planning skills at work)

Anyone have the measurements?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=7712330&postcount=209
     
     
  #16218  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 12:23 AM
gillty gillty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hyogo, Japan / Vancouver
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
One of the great benefits of a system like compass certainly is the data that can be collected.

Has there bean any talk of allowing compass to be used for NFC payments?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Damn I need to take it to Richmond Wednesday night - forecast for snow that night too.

********************
Quote:
Compass 2.0 technology on TransLink’s road map
Vancouver transit authority seeks to expand services linked to Compass cards and readers
By Glen Korstrom | Feb. 6, 2017, 7:25 a.m.

...

TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond, however, told Business in Vancouver January 26 that other initiatives are afoot to try to get more Compass cards into the hands of Vancouverites and to make the transit system more accessible for tourists. He calls this project Compass 2.0.

“It’s possible, maybe by the end of this year or the following year, that we will have open payment on Compass, where you’re able to just tap a credit card and go though [fare gates],” Desmond said.

“That really helps for visitors to the region.”

Other aspects of Compass 2.0 include possibly linking a Mobi by Shaw Go bike-share membership to the Compass cards or linking pre-paid BC Ferries fares onto the cards, Desmond said.
...

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/2/compass-20-technology-translinks-road-map/
     
     
  #16219  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 1:27 AM
Reecemartin's Avatar
Reecemartin Reecemartin is offline
YouTube Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillty View Post
Yes.


I think youre misinterpreting what I said, I don't mean the ability to use credit cards on compass gates etc, I mean the ability to use your compass card to pay for things.
     
     
  #16220  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 2:30 AM
cganuelas1995 cganuelas1995 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I think youre misinterpreting what I said, I don't mean the ability to use credit cards on compass gates etc, I mean the ability to use your compass card to pay for things.
Yeah let's please not have credit/debit card capabilities on compass validators. I keep my compass card in my wallet when I tap and it is next to my cards.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.