I hope everyone here realizes CAT is only moving 100-300 positions (executive staff and some corporate functions like Finance/Treasury/Investor Relations, etc.). This is likely 2-3 floors. I am sure there are many office buildings around the Loop with this availability. The main back-office corporate function stays in Peoria. The existing McDonald's HQ and previous Kraft HQ would require a full company HQ move to fill that much space. Also, CAT currently has their Digital & Analytics department based in the Merchandise Mart.
In regards to the executive team, CAT has a new CEO. Doug Oberhelman retired last year. If ADM executives can handle the City of Chicago, I am sure CAT executives can.
Article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-cat-culture-robert-reed-0201-biz-20170131-column.html
"Such moves are expected to make these old-line companies more attractive to an increasingly urban-based and culturally diverse workforce that's digitally adroit and eager to do business on a worldwide scale."
"Many of Caterpillar's senior leaders have spent many years at the firm and have been rotated throughout the business," Keith Schoonmaker, Morningstar analyst, wrote in a recent report. "Increasingly, however, the company has sought to hire people from outside of the heavy equipment industry."