Quote:
Originally Posted by nname
I actually think that might redirect some of the SkyTeam traffic to YYC instead, since WS have a much bigger domestic and transboarder network in YYC than YVR. I think WS's network at YYC is even bigger than AC's network at YVR right now even after AC's recent expansion...
YYC actually serves twice as many destinations to rest of Canada compared to YVR outside of the two provinces. I always wondered about the low domestic connectivity for YVR... in fact, YVR now serves more year-round destinations in China than Canadian cities outside of BC... YYC also serves 3 times as many destinations in BC than YVR's service to AB... I was wonder if there really more demand for people in Nanaimo and Comox to go to YYC than people from, say Red Deer and Lethbridge to come to YVR...
|
Perhaps this is due to the fact that YYC, despite being a western Canadian city, is nonetheless more 'centrally' located. YVR is more or less at the end-of-the-road domestically.
You mentioned that, if WS joined Skyteam, this might redirect more Skyteam traffic to YYC. Could be, but would that include major overseas airlines; AF, MU, CZ, and the like?
YYC may have (or more precisely WS) more of a lock on domestic traffic, but for many USA destinations, and certainly overseas, YVR handles a lot more than YYC, due to being larger.
Would Westjet going Skyteam change that? Vancouver is definitely the larger hub for overseas traffic, and for many US destinations as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.