Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook
Right. But I don't want highrise suburbanism on the Delaware. I want highrise urbanism. And it will take even longer before that area is primed to support that and become an extension of the walkable neighborhoods of Center City. Even with a cap over I-95 from Market to Walnut, I suppose there is Columbus Boulevard to deal with. In the interim, I suppose any positive development on the Riverfront is good.
|
Well you're not going to get it there until everywhere else between Washington Avenue and Girard fills in. And even then you might not get it. Because plainly, urbanists don't want to live on Delaware Avenue. No cap is going to change that. For most of it's length, it's a 6 lane highway. And capping it will do little to change that, as the areas of Delaware Avenue that have the land to support widespread development lie above (Spring Garden) a below (Washington) the zone where the cap would go.
Dockside was built 12 years ago? And it is still not sold out. It shows you what kind of person wants to live on Delaware Avenue. Suburbanites who want easy access to 95. There just aren't that many of them.
Add to that, garages, which will be needed, can't be sunk below ground there due to the water table...so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Buildings are oriented to cars, i.e. suburban in nature, etc. Which attracts suburbanites, etc.