HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3641  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:40 PM
NativeOrange's Avatar
NativeOrange NativeOrange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 331
^^ I kinda like this one.

Any news on the LOHA designed "Industrial" that was proposed for the collection of structures just north of this a couple years back? I liked that one a lot.

Link: http://loharchitects.com/work/industrial
     
     
  #3642  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 9:10 PM
bobcat bobcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
That being said I'll also ride it depending on convenience. It goes right by where I live and goes to some of my routine destinations so it makes sense. But I'll still mostly ride buses because I find them to be more reliable and obviously more widespread. Especially downtown.
The funny thing is that when I go to NYC or Chicago I typically walk distances greater than what's covered by the streetcar loop. It's not a problem in those places because the streets are lively and full of people so that the time flies. However, DTLA is changing so quickly that it could have a similar feel within 5-10 years.
     
     
  #3643  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:13 PM
scania's Avatar
scania scania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)/Atlanta, Ga. (Midtown)
Posts: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
The funny thing is that when I go to NYC or Chicago I typically walk distances greater than what's covered by the streetcar loop. It's not a problem in those places because the streets are lively and full of people so that the time flies. However, DTLA is changing so quickly that it could have a similar feel within 5-10 years.
Totally agreed. I don't think there's another city with development in one area such as DTLA.
__________________
It's a beautiful day!
     
     
  #3644  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:30 PM
cesar90 cesar90 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 433
     
     
  #3645  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 12:03 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
The funny thing is that when I go to NYC or Chicago I typically walk distances greater than what's covered by the streetcar loop. It's not a problem in those places because the streets are lively and full of people so that the time flies. However, DTLA is changing so quickly that it could have a similar feel within 5-10 years.
Yeah I forgot to say that I also mostly walk around downtown but depending on where I'm going I may take a bus or maybe uber. But far and away I walk.
     
     
  #3646  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:53 AM
Eightball's Avatar
Eightball Eightball is offline
life is good
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: all over
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
You do realize that mixed traffic streetcars offer a decrease in mobility relative to a bus, right?How about before you go off on your dumb, self-righteous rants you actually try addressing the criticisms brought against streetcars in my previous post.

If you actually cared about mobility you wouldn't be advocating for this project as it doesn't offer any increase relative to alternative investments.
Which bus ride do you ride dally again?

As someone who has been car free since 2012 I couldn't disagree more. Ride quality alone on rail is 10x smoother than bus. Tell me I'm wrong
     
     
  #3647  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:21 AM
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,407
You're not wrong, but is the improved ride quality of rail worth the cost differential? Thats the question.
     
     
  #3648  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 4:57 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Which bus ride do you ride dally again?

As someone who has been car free since 2012 I couldn't disagree more. Ride quality alone on rail is 10x smoother than bus. Tell me I'm wrong
I agree that the train is much smoother, but I wouldn't say an order of magnitude smoother. And that's not all there is to quality. I ride both a bus and light rail for my daily commute and I definitely prefer the bus ride more.
     
     
  #3649  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:39 AM
Jun's Avatar
Jun Jun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I agree that the train is much smoother, but I wouldn't say an order of magnitude smoother. And that's not all there is to quality. I ride both a bus and light rail for my daily commute and I definitely prefer the bus ride more.
Much easier for people to bring their bikes on trains rather than hope the bike rack on a bus is empty, or fear someone will 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 it when the bus hits a red light. (seen this happen twice in LB)
     
     
  #3650  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:59 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Much easier for people to bring their bikes on trains rather than hope the bike rack on a bus is empty, or fear someone will 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 it when the bus hits a red light. (seen this happen twice in LB)
Agreed, but I don't see that being much of an issue for the streetcar since it's entire route is biking distance.

Also while I understand the reason for needing bikes in a city like LA, I'm not a fan of bikes on the train during rush hour. They take up too much room and are a hazard. I wish that they were banned like they are in NYC.
     
     
  #3651  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 2:57 AM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
You're not wrong, but is the improved ride quality of rail worth the cost differential? Thats the question.
So you think that's the only advantage?

Light rail and streetcars are less expensive in the long run, they run 50 years and more.
The cost per passenger mile is more than 25 % less. There are many articles and studies about that topic.

Light rail is also faster than a bus, but you have to prioritize it like we see it in Chicago, New York, Europe.
(I doubt that would be possible in Downtown - at least not completely because the streetcar runs so frequently through too many streets)

Light rail uses less energy and the momentum is turned back into electricity. That's why streetcars are reducing pollution.
Many people understand light rail faster and drive the bus as last option (particularly tourists and visitors).

The streetcar is also much narrower than a bus, even so it can't go out of the lane to avoid obstacles.

Light rail has many advantages and provides us with another travel option.. not only that, it is quite often the first choice for passengers.

It doesn't make sense in every location, but for sure in areas like Downtown.
__________________

Real DTLA Development Group
     
     
  #3652  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 3:28 AM
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Light rail and streetcars are less expensive in the long run, they run 50 years and more.
The cost per passenger mile is more than 25 % less. There are many articles and studies about that topic.
It would take decades and decades for that investment to pay off. The expected return on that would be far below the market average. Let's Go LA has a good post on this in regards to the orange line:

https://letsgola.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/orange-line-still-golden/

Quote:
Light rail is also faster than a bus, but you have to prioritize it like we see it in Chicago, New York, Europe.
(I doubt that would be possible in Downtown - at least not completely because the streetcar runs so frequently through too many streets)
You can do all of this with busses. It's completely separate from the mode of transit. The benefits of streetcars is they can add capacity if that's needed. See Jarret Walker:

http://humantransit.org/2009/07/streetcars-an-inconvenient-truth.html

Quote:
Light rail uses less energy and the momentum is turned back into electricity. That's why streetcars are reducing pollution.
Many people understand light rail faster and drive the bus as last option (particularly tourists and visitors).
The benefits here seem small relative to the investment. Especially in as small a system as we're building.

Now, I think theres a definite debate to be had with LRT vs BRT, but without any other upgrades streetcars as we build them in the US are mostly a waste of money in terms of improving transit.
     
     
  #3653  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 4:07 AM
NativeOrange's Avatar
NativeOrange NativeOrange is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 331
Remember this?

Someone posted this on the FB page...don't know how true the info is.

http://www.ccdg-la.com/1027-wilshire-the-icon-on-wilshire

EDIT: just saw how not-so-recent the article was. Anyone know if the CCDG still owns the lot?
     
     
  #3654  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 4:57 PM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
EDIT: just saw how not-so-recent the article was. Anyone know if the CCDG still owns the lot?
that's a flashback to all the times through the yrs when a proj in dtla...at least based on the elaborate way the owner presented his plans...seemed to be very viable & likely to at least eventually break ground, only to end up in the cancellation bin.

Barry shy's apt tower proposed for the parking lot across from the PE bldg on Main st, & the apt bldg on the lot at 4th & Hill, or on the cleared piece of land at 4th & broadway will hopefully not have that dubious distinction.

I really hope the proj at 4th & Hill in particular does break ground asap since that location is so important in the grand scheme of things....when it comes to grand central mkt & a landmark like Angel's flight. Also the way those locations tie in with pershing sq a block to the south....where free movies are screened outdoors during the summer.

I think a new movie....which shows shots of angel's flight, grand central mkt & a long distant shot of the dtla skyline as viewed from the interchange of the century & harbor fwys & the Griffith park observatory....that will be released shortly will be one of those movies that in the future will be ideal for pershing sq's movie nights....


Quote:
This spring, summer and fall over 25 free movies will be shown at Pershing Square every Friday night from May through October.

• Video Link


• Video Link


Love for La La Land keeps rolling in. On Thursday, the New York Film Critics Circle named La La Land the best film of 2016. Earlier in the day, the Critics' Choice Awards showered Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's dance-musical with 12 nominations.

^ things like that tend to help get the word out about the city...including dtla. Things like this help too.....


Quote:
French choreographer Benjamin Millepied, who spectacularly left the Paris Opera Ballet earlier this year, will mark his return to Los Angeles this week with a new show.

The dance star—husband of Hollywood actress Natalie Portman—also revealed he is working on a feature film as he held rehearsals this week with his dance troupe from the L.A. Dance Project at a studio in downtown Los Angeles.

The show symbolizes his comeback in Los Angeles, where he settled in 2012 with Portman before his brief stint at the Paris Opera Ballet. It also marks the first time he will be taking to the stage in a year.

He said he is delighted to be back in Los Angeles, where he feels at home.

“Los Angeles is not like New York, full of artistic organizations that have become a bit conservative, it’s a great cultural city,” he said.

“To dance in Los Angeles today is like an artist setting up shop in New York in the 1960s and 1970s—it’s virgin territory,” he adds, pointing out that there are no major dance companies in the city.

On his 15 months at the venerable Paris Opera Ballet, he says he learned a lot and dealt with success and error.

“I am back here a changed man,” he said. “It was a fantastic experience, but it wasn’t for me.”
     
     
  #3655  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:59 AM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 569
Circa is already visible.

Downtown 12/04/2017, on Flickr
__________________

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Dec 5, 2016 at 3:39 AM.
     
     
  #3656  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 3:42 AM
Resident Resident is offline
BikeMike
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miracle Mile, formerly DTLA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I really hope the proj at 4th & Hill in particular does break ground asap since that location is so important in the grand scheme of things....when it comes to grand central mkt & a landmark like Angel's flight. Also the way those locations tie in with pershing sq a block to the south....where free movies are screened outdoors during the summer.
It has been delayed a year because Unions (Specifically CreedLA) threatened to sue them for CEQA unless they hired them so they are being forced to do a full Environomental Review Impact.
     
     
  #3657  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 6:37 PM
Wilcal Wilcal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucaipa--LA exurban wasteland
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
It has been delayed a year because Unions (Specifically CreedLA) threatened to sue them for CEQA unless they hired them so they are being forced to do a full Environomental Review Impact.
I believe that this is the same group that gave Onni so much trouble early into their investment in the city. In my opinion this group is a well polished collection of Mother Fucker's whose interests include only money and power and does not include most Angelinos.
     
     
  #3658  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:38 PM
Steve8263's Avatar
Steve8263 Steve8263 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 258
With the borderline incomprehensible measure JJJ passing, and the pending threat of NII a few months away, I will be greatly surprised if we see any big new proposals pop up. Developers have enough problems and hoops to jump thru even before these new regulations take effect. This latest round is going to make it much more difficult for projects to pencil out.

Pretty good summary here-

http://therealdeal.com/la/2016/12/02/see...ntegrity-initiative-could-be-challenged/
     
     
  #3659  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 9:04 PM
Resident Resident is offline
BikeMike
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miracle Mile, formerly DTLA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
I believe that this is the same group that gave Onni so much trouble early into their investment in the city. In my opinion this group is a well polished collection of Mother Fucker's whose interests include only money and power and does not include most Angelinos.
RIght now CreedLA is the only union suing the buildings. Basically buildings either have to commit to hire them or there will be lawsuits. Most of the ones being built agreed to hire Creed. It's bulllllshit
     
     
  #3660  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:49 PM
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
It has been delayed a year because Unions (Specifically CreedLA) threatened to sue them for CEQA unless they hired them so they are being forced to do a full Environomental Review Impact.
All I want for Christmas is CEQA reform.

Dems have full control the state government, if they don't get it done in the next few years I'm renouncing my party membership.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.