HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1001  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 8:08 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Unfortunately I can confirm it includes the mechanical floors.

Residential ends at 40. Mechanical adds floors 41 and 42. My previous number was to top of roof of floor 40. The new number is to top of roof floor 42.
Aw dammit...

I thought (hoped for, longingly) the 465ft was solely based on the 40th floor.

Whatever, I'm glad it's more noticeably taller than the previous figure.

Now if we can just have Artis' security staff take shifts flying a large kite up there then they can break the 500 ft barrier NO sweat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1002  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 8:33 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
I am dying to know what their vision is for Fort Street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1003  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 11:07 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am dying to know what their vision is for Fort Street.
Vision as in what the rendering will look like?

Or formal plan? There's not much to do there, and I don't get the impression there is a definite plan in place for the Vendome. They would have said something by now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1004  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 12:38 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Even if there have been only discussions at this point, I would be interested in knowing what they want to see happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1005  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:39 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Even if there have been only discussions at this point, I would be interested in knowing what they want to see happen.
Probably are a couple of ideas floating around. They wanted either a hotel or grocer on that central pad, either would have a different affect on Fort. That's all phase II anyway, so hopefully there's a contingency plan where it gets tidied up if those initiative delay a little...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1006  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 9:50 AM
Kris22 Kris22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 736
Update on the reclad:

It kind of resembles the glass on the smaller blue building in the foreground:




Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1007  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 4:26 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Nice photos! They're making pretty good progress... looks like the western half of the building should be finished pretty soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1008  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 5:47 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Curious what people prefer — more transparent glass where you can see in but you get that mismashed look of blinds open and closed, or a more opaque or reflective glass where the building has a "cleaner" or more uniform look (like 201 Portage)?

Obviously I think this is a massive improvement, but the blinds kind of hurt it for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1009  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 5:51 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ I agree. I associate that type of look with 70s buildings like the Newport Centre on Portage... I'm a little surprised that they didn't go with glass that was a bit more reflective to create a more uniform look on the outside.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1010  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 8:32 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1011  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 9:26 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Disagreed.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1012  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 1:42 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Andy, do you think it adds interest? Almost as if it were a deliberate, random pattern?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1013  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 5:33 AM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winnipeg|MB
Posts: 2,328
just as long as some offices don't start putting up aluminum foil or wolf blankets as curtains, i'm ok with it!
__________________
instagram: @jeff_vernaus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1014  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 2:20 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Hahahaha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1015  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:04 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Andy, do you think it adds interest? Almost as if it were a deliberate, random pattern?
Yes, it suggests that actual people are downtown doing things, even if you can't quite see them. I kind of like the look.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1016  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 10:45 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Curious what people prefer — more transparent glass where you can see in but you get that mismashed look of blinds open and closed, or a more opaque or reflective glass where the building has a "cleaner" or more uniform look (like 201 Portage)?

Obviously I think this is a massive improvement, but the blinds kind of hurt it for me.
I wish it were more uniform, but that look is not at all uncommon in Vancouver, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Yes, it suggests that actual people are downtown doing things, even if you can't quite see them. I kind of like the look.
Never thought about it that way. I like that perspective.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1017  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:59 PM
Portmanteau's Avatar
Portmanteau Portmanteau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 107
^^ My gut reaction is "hate the disordered look" but that's a really great point about being able to see life. I spend the weekend in Montreal in the spring, stayed in an Airbnb downtown condo, and for the first time sat on the balcony of a highrise at night, surrounded by other highrise buildings. Seeing the little "vignettes" of peoples lives was really interesting. Appeals to the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 in us all I suppose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1018  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:12 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
^^ My gut reaction is "hate the disordered look" but that's a really great point about being able to see life. I spend the weekend in Montreal in the spring, stayed in an Airbnb downtown condo, and for the first time sat on the balcony of a highrise at night, surrounded by other highrise buildings. Seeing the little "vignettes" of peoples lives was really interesting. Appeals to the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 in us all I suppose.
I'm comforted by the statistical likelihood that I do not live beside you.

jk haha, but I agree... Seeing some level of activity adds interest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1019  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 9:47 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
From Twitter:

David Lobson ‏@privatecitizenn 5h5 hours ago
@stefanogrande. Looking way better.

__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1020  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:33 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
I've been driving up Main around 9 pm most nights and I can see the crews still up there, working away. It looks impressive... frankly, I'd be happy if they just finished up the western half and left it that way for the winter!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.