HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5361  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 9:18 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Not 787 every day though, that plan changed with KLM.
     
     
  #5362  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 9:19 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not 787 every day though, that plan changed with KLM.
Right, I forgot. Weird scheduling.

Still will be a lot of 787's in the new terminal (up to 6 daily!)
     
     
  #5363  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 9:49 PM
hoboman27 hoboman27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I've been told that, due to trial participant feedback, that two water fountains (filling stations?)---wow! a whole two!-- have been installed (in which part of the IFP I am unsure). But I was also told that two moving sidewalks were discovered to not have been installed as per the blueprints????
Another insider! yyc_engineer has competition!
     
     
  #5364  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 9:55 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboman27 View Post
Another insider! yyc_engineer has competition!
Nobody can compete with me. I mean, they could try but they would lose.

The real story is that one of the airlines (I won't mention which one) requires their staff to have access to fresh drinking water within a certain distance/time/area at all times (union rules) and to meet that requirement two water bottle refilling stations have been installed at the tray washing stations in either food court. I don't think they will be advertised as such but can be used by both staff and passengers.
     
     
  #5365  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 11:14 PM
holhm22 holhm22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 315
Few more pictures of the soft opening from the airport's fb page
Edit, click the link for the album within the post. They are adding more pictures to the album

Last edited by holhm22; Oct 26, 2016 at 11:25 PM.
     
     
  #5366  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 11:30 PM
Takeoff Takeoff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 104
i was looking on the facebook page and I saw a picture of some Jet airway signage????

Is there a new link coming to Calgary?

Didn't see any other codeshare signage from the other airlines.
     
     
  #5367  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 11:47 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I bet it was Mersar, he was there on one of the trial days.
I also was there for a trial earlier this month and made sure to note about the lack of water filling stations in my feedback. And glad our feedback was taken seriously!
     
     
  #5368  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:19 AM
Nick's Avatar
Nick Nick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CYYC
Posts: 441
70-75 can as well. And 70/71 can do domestic departures, plus 82 and I think 83 can do domestic offloading.
     
     
  #5369  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:04 AM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I still feel like WS will have to tow a whole bunch of airplanes. Int'l inbound -> domestic outbound gates are extremely valuable.
Maybe initially, but eventually they will build it into their schedule. Operations at YYC will be identical to YVR from a terminal layout perspective and they do just fine out at the Sea Island.
     
     
  #5370  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:11 AM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
Exciting times with the opening, good luck! There's always kinks to work out with large projects but seems like it's going to be smooth!

So the new terminal has 26 new loading gates? Stupid question, but is each gate capable of handling two planes at once? That's how the map reads to me. If so, 26 gates is a massive increase!
     
     
  #5371  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:50 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
Nobody can compete with me. I mean, they could try but they would lose.

The real story is that one of the airlines (I won't mention which one) requires their staff to have access to fresh drinking water within a certain distance/time/area at all times (union rules) and to meet that requirement two water bottle refilling stations have been installed at the tray washing stations in either food court. I don't think they will be advertised as such but can be used by both staff and passengers.
The other reason is to catch up with with most other airports are doing on the passenger experience side. Water battle refill stations are expected these days at most airports. Silly that the driver is a union rule and not a customer experience issue.
     
     
  #5372  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:01 PM
CrossedTheTracks CrossedTheTracks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The other reason is to catch up with with most other airports are doing on the passenger experience side. Water battle refill stations are expected these days at most airports. Silly that the driver is a union rule and not a customer experience issue.
Never mind "catching up" by providing bottle refill spouts -- not having fountains at all (until recent change) is just mind boggling. It's either a spectacular failure of planning/design, or a deliberate attempt to boost retailer revenue by forcing people to buy bottled water.

Given the forced march through duty free shops, it kinda points towards the "boost revenue" conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure which is worse.
__________________
"Skyscraper, skyscraper, scrape me some sky..." - Dennis Lee
     
     
  #5373  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:14 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
It is incredibly disappointing to see. As a traveler with kids after security the first purchase is usually a couple of big bottles of water, and then you can refill from the fountains.
     
     
  #5374  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 3:46 AM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
It is incredibly disappointing to see. As a traveler with kids after security the first purchase is usually a couple of big bottles of water, and then you can refill from the fountains.
You should be environmentally friendly. Bring a reusable water bottle, empty it out into the sink just before security. No sink just before security, well there is always the nearest water proof garbage can. Get in past security and hunt down that water filling station in the food court (or where ever it is).

In reality if they missed a moving walkway, I would like to guess it was an oversight as opposed to an attempt to sell bottled water.

-----

That said the weirdest things was last week I arrived in Victoria, picked up the car to go leave the lot and the silly ticket would not scan on the automatic machine. The attendant came out and waved me over to the exit with a real person. The parking lot attended said, "Sorry about that and the wait to get out, here have a compliment bottle of Robins Parking/Victoria Airport Water. Thanks for parking with us. Sorry again about the inconvenience"

Now if we can only get CASTA to do the same thing. "Sorry about the long wait in security. Here have a bottle of water on us." That would be cool.
     
     
  #5375  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 2:59 PM
CrossedTheTracks CrossedTheTracks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
In reality if they missed a moving walkway, I would like to guess it was an oversight as opposed to an attempt to sell bottled water.
I'd love to hear the full story on this one.

I'm picturing a comic strip:
frame 1: worker stares at big, long hole in the ground with a puzzled look his face
frame 2: worker stares at big pile of spare parts with a puzzled look on her face
frames 3 & 4: workers shrug shoulders and say "meh!"

(No, I don't actually imagine there is a real hole in any floor anywhere...)
__________________
"Skyscraper, skyscraper, scrape me some sky..." - Dennis Lee
     
     
  #5376  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 3:11 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,632
^ Yeah, the flooring contractor likely just kept laying flooring over where it was supposed to be!

I worked on the conversion of older rental stacked townhomes into condos one summer years back, and there was one unit with a boat load of extra breakers on the breaker panel. We were doing the pre-turnover inspection a few hours before the keys were supposed to be transferred, and we notice that none of the upstairs rooms haveforced air heat vents. The unit had existed for 25 years and instead of looking for the duct work that existed under the floor, Boardwalk had installed supplemental electric heat, that had been torn out by our demolition team and not replaced.
     
     
  #5377  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 8:49 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
The real story is that one of the airlines (I won't mention which one) requires their staff to have access to fresh drinking water within a certain distance/time/area at all times (union rules) and to meet that requirement two water bottle refilling stations have been installed at the tray washing stations in either food court. I don't think they will be advertised as such but can be used by both staff and passengers.
I don't doubt the statement that one airlines employee rules require access to fresh drinking water. I would hazard a guess that airline is WestJet. Further its probably not just FA's but all their check in staff.

I know that AC does not have this listed in their work contracts, instead the flight crew has generous per deims included in their contract. Further, known flight crew can bring liquids gels and aerosols in quantities greater than 100ml.

Here is some facts for the board to consider. 85% of passengers fly once per year or less, this group accounts for less than 40% of airlines revenue. the remaining 15% of passengers account for over 60% of airline revenue. This 15% have access to the executive lounges and other entitlements of Elite status.

The above statistic partially explains why water fountains were missed. The new international terminal is geared toward the 15% frequent travelers as it is this group that is most sought after by the airlines. I am part of this group and would not consider to think about a water fountain in my top 50 things that a top tier international airport should have. The primary reason being that the airline will give me a bottle of water either on the airplane (if seated in Business Class) or at the airport (through the lounge or through the concierge).

Additionally, I am constantly advocating for the exclusion of water fountains in airport terminals because there is direct impact on security wait times. People forget to completely empty their water bottles prior to going through pre-board security screening, the delays to security screening mean that an additional security lane is required at concourse C security checkpoint during the busy periods (so where 4 lanes are most efficient, delays are causing the need for a fifth lane to open).
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
     
     
  #5378  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 11:03 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Can anyone tell me where the old McCall field terminal used to be?

Looking at a 1960s map, 'Air Terminal' is marked where the Shell Aerocentre is. Any idea of the SA was frankenstein'd around the old terminal?

McCall Field


albertaonrecord.ca

1960s map
http://i.imgur.com/76x6spn.png
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #5379  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 11:36 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
I don't doubt the statement that one airlines employee rules require access to fresh drinking water. I would hazard a guess that airline is WestJet. Further its probably not just FA's but all their check in staff.

I know that AC does not have this listed in their work contracts, instead the flight crew has generous per deims included in their contract. Further, known flight crew can bring liquids gels and aerosols in quantities greater than 100ml.

Here is some facts for the board to consider. 85% of passengers fly once per year or less, this group accounts for less than 40% of airlines revenue. the remaining 15% of passengers account for over 60% of airline revenue. This 15% have access to the executive lounges and other entitlements of Elite status.

The above statistic partially explains why water fountains were missed. The new international terminal is geared toward the 15% frequent travelers as it is this group that is most sought after by the airlines. I am part of this group and would not consider to think about a water fountain in my top 50 things that a top tier international airport should have. The primary reason being that the airline will give me a bottle of water either on the airplane (if seated in Business Class) or at the airport (through the lounge or through the concierge).

Additionally, I am constantly advocating for the exclusion of water fountains in airport terminals because there is direct impact on security wait times. People forget to completely empty their water bottles prior to going through pre-board security screening, the delays to security screening mean that an additional security lane is required at concourse C security checkpoint during the busy periods (so where 4 lanes are most efficient, delays are causing the need for a fifth lane to open).
I am also in that frequently flyer group. That said, I have given up chasing status, instead I go for schedule which most years is a split between AC, WJ, Alaska and Delta. We need more AMEX and Delta lounges, some years I have access to the Maple Leaf Lounges and others not. I don't think I am that unusual, there are a lot of frequent flyers that are usually in economy and don't always have status.

I am pro water fountains. It is the environmentally responsible thing to do. (Yes, I know air travel is not that environmentally responsible but we need to do what we can where we can).

I would also be supportive of removing this silly ban on liquids. The concept that four or five 100 ml bottles of liquids are safe but a 500 ml or 1L bottle is silly.
     
     
  #5380  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 2:26 AM
CrossedTheTracks CrossedTheTracks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Can anyone tell me where the old McCall field terminal used to be?

Looking at a 1960s map, 'Air Terminal' is marked where the Shell Aerocentre is. Any idea of the SA was frankenstein'd around the old terminal?
Here's a nice aerial from 1951: http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/cdm/ref/collection/airphotos2/id/51184

I agree that it's awfully close to, if not precisely, the land on which Shell Aerocentre sits.

But looking at the picture you posted with a nice Google maps 3D view from the same angle (looking at Shell Aerocentre towards the SW), I can't say I spot any structural similarities. But, maybe parts of it survive! I was in parts of the STARS offices during their Doors Open event in 2015, and I wouldn't be blown away if someone told me it's from the 60's...
__________________
"Skyscraper, skyscraper, scrape me some sky..." - Dennis Lee
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.