Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523
Do you have any particular reservations about anything on the drawing board?
|
Mostly no, although I never much liked Buncher's plans for the Downtown-side of the 16th Street bridge (too much surface parking and an office-parky feel). Otherwise, I've been pretty happy with the stuff done so far (aesthetically I might have a qualm here or there, but in turns of density and mix of use it has been fine), and I am very much looking forward to a transformation of the area around the Produce Terminal.
But that was an off hand reference to the common concern that eventually the thriving Penn Avenue commercial district might be adversely affected by all this development activity--something like that escalating property values and rents could drive out the cool mix of ethnic, historic, and otherwise quirky merchants and cause them to be replaced by more generic contemporary businesses.
I've never been preoccupied with that concern myself, but I take it seriously to the extent I think that would be a bad outcome. Fortunately, at least from my casual perspective, that doesn't seem to be happening yet. I know on the wholesale side some people have had to relocate, but retail wise a lot of the old favorites seem to be thriving, and meanwhile all sorts of new restaurants and shops seem to be adding in to the mix and not taking away.