HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7041  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:08 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
While I understand the desire to spread Trax out and like the thought process of continuing the Red line up 200 W, that is creating a very redundant system. Ideal transit station access is 1/4 mile and a little less ideal at 1/2 mile.

Putting the Red Line only two blocks away is placing it right in that ideal 1/4 mile radius of the Main St line. Yes I realize they are serving different destinations, but to me it still seems like it would be a bit of cannibalization. If the Red line were to move off the main line it would ideally need to be moved to 400 W, and then turning east on 400 S at Pioneer Park. Unfortunately that makes the trip to the U a bit longer adding a few minutes as the line is veers west for several blocks. This does however open up the entire Granary District and puts the line right in the heart of it.
I like the idea of streetcars and light rail being about 2 blocks apart (6 Portland blocks apart) around a lot of downtown. You see similar stuff in other cities. If you were to overlap that extension area of the Red Line with a street car running through Granary and connecting to the Intermodal Hub, I think it would create a really nice system.

The biggest issue I see right now is you have this huge overlap of 3 light rail lines and the terminus of the S Line in the least effective spot (the parking lot of a Best Buy). Central Point is a strange place to center all these lines. If we can't turn it into some kick 🞵🞵🞵 development that justifies that convergence, I think we need to spread the love to get the most development potential out of these lines (maybe split off the blue line so that it runs up State Street headed North from 3400 South). In my mind it would be ideal to have each of these TRAX lines share one streetcar on each of the segments where they're the only light rail line using a set of tracks in Salt Lake City (with the streetcar going light rail city speed when in light rail right of way).

I made this a while ago. I still stand behind a lot of it, but I'm definitely thinking over some changes.




All routes would be double tracked. The light blue is rail lanes shared with cars (like a streetcar) at speeds of 25-35 miles per hour; the dark blue is rail in its own dedicated lanes at speeds of 30-40 miles per hour (light rail)


Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
     
     
  #7042  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 3:11 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
As was previously mentioned, the sidewalk in from to the EPAC is now open. It's still closed off in front of 111, but I would expect it to be open soon as well.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
     
     
  #7043  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 3:32 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
I admit that this looks much, much better than I expected. I really like the kind of lightness that the theater expresses with the white forms, the frosted glass, the muted color mullions in the mid portion, and the light stained wood soffits, etc. I am pleasantly surprised with this. Now, for the interior portion

Last edited by Orlando; Jul 29, 2016 at 6:47 PM.
     
     
  #7044  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 11:15 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I admit that this looks much, much better than I expected. I really like the kind of lightness that the theater expresses with the white forms, the frosted glass, the muted color mullions in the mid portion, and the light stained wood soffits, etc. I am pleasantly surprised with this. Now, for the interior portion
I like wood paneling on the underside of the balcony overhangs. It is a bit of a subtle touch that is exposed from street level
     
     
  #7045  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 12:14 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
As was previously mentioned, the sidewalk in from to the EPAC is now open. It's still closed off in front of 111, but I would expect it to be open soon as well.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]
I just took a tour today of the theater. It is pretty impressive. I'll post some pics once I learn how to on here, lol.
     
     
  #7046  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 12:16 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
A before and after look at several developments in Salt Lake. Imagine our city in the next five years and how much it will have changed.
     
     
  #7047  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 8:37 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
[QUOTE=airhero;7515327]Wikipedia calls it Primary Statistical Area, for all CSAs plus MSAs which aren't included in a CSA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primary_statistical_areas_of_the_United_States

"for the following conclusions which are as bad as the Boise is bigger than Salt Lake nonsense"

I disagree, and your poop stinks like everyone else's too...

"Salt Lake isn't a prime example cities should follow when combatting sprawl,"

Ok, this is true. So what is going to be done about it? Bottom line: For a population of its size, whether you use CSA, MSA, or any other stat. The supposed ' primary-city' should have a significantly larger population and density of development.

Last edited by Ironweed; Jul 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM.
     
     
  #7048  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 8:38 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
     
     
  #7049  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 10:26 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Ok, this is true. So what is going to be done about it? Bottom line: For a population of its size, whether you use CSA, MSA, or any other stat. The supposed ' primary-city' should have a significantly larger population and density of development.
You sound like you're in school. We don't have a command economy and the 10th Amendment doesn't let Salt Lake City regulate other cities in the county. The populace outside of Salt Lske City loves sprawl and it's a democracy so they elect officials who love sprawl.

The only thing that changed from the mid 50s until the mid 90's was a minority convincing the majority to at least fund some transit and to add mixed use in the mix.
     
     
  #7050  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 3:09 PM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
[QUOTE=Ironweed;7517125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
"Salt Lake isn't a prime example cities should follow when combatting sprawl,"

Ok, this is true. So what is going to be done about it? Bottom line: For a population of its size, whether you use CSA, MSA, or any other stat. The supposed ' primary-city' should have a significantly larger population and density of development.
Salt Lake isn't even close to the worse example of sprawl. If anything we have a series of four to five developing urban centers (Provo, Lehi, Sandy/Draper, SLC and Ogden) along a 75 mile spine. You want repulsive sprawl? Look no further than Denver. After the king of godless sprawl, LA, it's the absolute worst, followed closely by Phoenix, San Diego and Austin. Salt Lake actually has an opportunity to do it right. We are naturally bound by mountains and lakes and running out of land fast.
     
     
  #7051  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 5:47 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
[QUOTE=Marvland;7517232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post

Salt Lake isn't even close to the worse example of sprawl. If anything we have a series of four to five developing urban centers (Provo, Lehi, Sandy/Draper, SLC and Ogden) along a 75 mile spine. You want repulsive sprawl? Look no further than Denver. After the king of godless sprawl, LA, it's the absolute worst, followed closely by Phoenix, San Diego and Austin. Salt Lake actually has an opportunity to do it right. We are naturally bound by mountains and lakes and running out of land fast.
Oh man, I wish you were right, but I'm afraid not so. There's plenty of people escaping in the masses to cheap land into the west dessert, Tooele, etc. There's nothing curbing it.
     
     
  #7052  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 2:44 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
So what's the deal with the LDS church driving their maintenance vehicles down the sidewalks along North and South Temple? How do they get away with that 🞵🞵🞵🞵 when I see people being asked not to ride their bikes and skateboard on the sidewalk all of the time. At least bikes and skateboards don't block the entire sidewalk. The maintenance trucks take up the whole sidewalk and people are expected to get out of their way.

Earlier this year I ended up in mud and messed up a pair of new shoes because of this.... So I have had a bit of a chip on my shoulder. So today I'm walking down he sidewalk and came head to head with one. I did not move out of the way, forcing them to stop.

They asked me if I could move off of the sidewalk and allow them to pass. I told them that the sidewalks are public walkways and not private services roads for the LDS church. I said that I didn't want to walk on the grass and that unless they provided me with a special permit from the city that allowed them to operate motor vehicles on public sidewalks, that I wasn't going anywhere. I ended by stating that I am not required to yield to traffic on public sidewalks that I myself am not even permitted to ride a bike or skateboard on.

They ended up baking up and allowing me to pass. I told them that I was sorry for being an 🞵🞵🞵 and then explained the situation with the shoes... I told them to have a nice day as I passed.

I'm at the point where I want to start reporting them to the police each and every time I see them driving down the sidewalks. Is there a reason they can't use the right street lane? Hell North Temple has a bus lane that doesn't even have traffic in it half of the time... why can't they use that...

K. Sorry for the rant. I'm just curious if they actually do have permission to use the sidewalks like this?
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #7053  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 3:27 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
So what's the deal with the LDS church driving their maintenance vehicles down the sidewalks along North and South Temple? How do they get away with that 🞵🞵🞵🞵 when I see people being asked not to ride their bikes and skateboard on the sidewalk all of the time. At least bikes and skateboards don't block the entire sidewalk. The maintenance trucks take up the whole sidewalk and people are expected to get out of their way.

Earlier this year I ended up in mud and messed up a pair of new shoes because of this.... So I have had a bit of a chip on my shoulder. So today I'm walking down he sidewalk and came head to head with one. I did not move out of the way, forcing them to stop.

They asked me if I could move off of the sidewalk and allow them to pass. I told them that the sidewalks are public walkways and not private services roads for the LDS church. I said that I didn't want to walk on the grass and that unless they provided me with a special permit from the city that allowed them to operate motor vehicles on public sidewalks, that I wasn't going anywhere. I ended by stating that I am not required to yield to traffic on public sidewalks that I myself am not even permitted to ride a bike or skateboard on.

They ended up baking up and allowing me to pass. I told them that I was sorry for being an 🞵🞵🞵 and then explained the situation with the shoes... I told them to have a nice day as I passed.

I'm at the point where I want to start reporting them to the police each and every time I see them driving down the sidewalks. Is there a reason they can't use the right street lane? Hell North Temple has a bus lane that doesn't even have traffic in it half of the time... why can't they use that...

K. Sorry for the rant. I'm just curious if they actually do have permission to use the sidewalks like this?

I think this is a legitimate argument. I think you handled it well, and I would inquire more about this. These kinds of things annoy me, too, even though I am a member of the church.
     
     
  #7054  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 4:20 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Interesting

I'm going to make magnetic logos identical to the church's maintenances vehicles, put them on my car, and see what I can get away with. No more parking tickets I bet. Very interesting post. Never even crossed my mind I'm so used to this Culture.
     
     
  #7055  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 12:07 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
[QUOTE=Orlando;7517351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post

Oh man, I wish you were right, but I'm afraid not so. There's plenty of people escaping in the masses to cheap land into the west dessert, Tooele, etc. There's nothing curbing it.
No one is moving to the West Desert. Tooele County had a couple of big decades ending in 2000 and 2010, but growth has slowed considerably in the past five years.
     
     
  #7056  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 5:49 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
[QUOTE=Stenar;7517787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

No one is moving to the West Desert. Tooele County had a couple of big decades ending in 2000 and 2010, but growth has slowed considerably in the past five years.
Sheesh Stenar, you can be such a (I don't know what to call you) sometimes. I mean, people are moving further and further out west, like Saratoga Springs and all those communities west of Lehi, and that new community(in the west desert), Eagle Mountain?? (I forget the name). And, Herrriman (though not the west dessert, but still a town way out there). And, they are moving there in droves. Every time I visit, I see more and more homes, and stores, and roads being built out there. Regarding Tooele, my sister and brother-in-law just bought a new place in Standbury Park(Tooele) because it was cheaper out there, despite that they work up at the U, and in Murray.
     
     
  #7057  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 8:36 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
[QUOTE=Orlando;7517905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

Sheesh Stenar, you can be such a (I don't know what to call you) sometimes. I mean, people are moving further and further out west, like Saratoga Springs and all those communities west of Lehi, and that new community(in the west desert), Eagle Mountain?? (I forget the name). And, Herrriman (though not the west dessert, but still a town way out there). And, they are moving there in droves. Every time I visit, I see more and more homes, and stores, and roads being built out there. Regarding Tooele, my sister and brother-in-law just bought a new place in Standbury Park(Tooele) because it was cheaper out there, despite that they work up at the U, and in Murray.
Eagle Mountain isn't even near the West Desert. The West Desert is a good 50 miles west of Eagle Mountain. Ummm... I can be such a... factual person?
     
     
  #7058  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 9:50 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
I think he's confused on what the west desert is.

The West Desert is the far-west area of Tooele County out by Wendover and the Nevada border. Herrriman is certainly NOT considered the west desert lol
     
     
  #7059  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 10:01 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
[QUOTE=Orlando;7517905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

Sheesh Stenar, you can be such a (I don't know what to call you) sometimes. I mean, people are moving further and further out west, like Saratoga Springs and all those communities west of Lehi, and that new community(in the west desert), Eagle Mountain?? (I forget the name). And, Herrriman (though not the west dessert, but still a town way out there). And, they are moving there in droves. Every time I visit, I see more and more homes, and stores, and roads being built out there. Regarding Tooele, my sister and brother-in-law just bought a new place in Standbury Park(Tooele) because it was cheaper out there, despite that they work up at the U, and in Murray.
FYI: Saratoga Springs is only about 3 miles west of I-15. That's WAY out there.

Herriman is WAY OUT there??? Herriman is right next to South Jordan and Riverton. I'd better pack a lunch AND a dinner on my way to Herriman.
     
     
  #7060  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 11:06 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
[QUOTE=Stenar;7518035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

FYI: Saratoga Springs is only about 3 miles west of I-15. That's WAY out there.

Herriman is WAY OUT there??? Herriman is right next to South Jordan and Riverton. I'd better pack a lunch AND a dinner on my way to Herriman.
Don't be a jackass Stenar. You live in sprawl land, ie. Draper. So, Herriman and Saratoga Springs aren't too far from you. The whole damn point is that those communities are prime examples of sprawl and leapfrog development.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.