Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc
The only population statistic that matters is CSA (Combined Statistical Area) roughly 2,468,000 for SLC's. Salt Lake Ranks 23rd in the US while our metro area is 48th. When looking at population of a city, as has been mentioned, it is all relative because some cities like Oklahoma City, have a "city" population of over 630,000 because their city limits cover over 620 sq. miles while SLC's only covers 110 sq. miles. But OKC's CSA is 1.4 million, which is 39th overall, sixteen spots lower than SLC's CSA. CSA are your people who will commute for work, college, shopping and athletic events in the main city and surrounding areas so SLC is doing pretty well in that regard. Cities population statistics are completely relative and trivial in my opinion.
|
Just for the hell of it, I threw together my own map of how I see the greater Salt Lake City metro area. The CSA's are county based, if I remember right, and just from a cartographical perspective don't do justice to seeing what our metro area looks like.
I included everything from as far north as Preston and Malad, out to Grantsville and Kamas, and down to Nephi. I tried to include everything that fits into a day trip for regular commerce. (Of course, all of this is fairly arbitrary. I wasn't looking at any kind of data when drawing this up). Under this map, Salt Lake City, and our downtown specifically, represents a very important economic, social and political center for a very large populated region.