HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11441  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 2:41 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
So that's 7 cranes, when was the last time there was that many in one summer? Probably been at least 10-15 years?
Exciting times yes, but don't count your cranes before they're hatched.....

Some of these cranes will be underwhelming too, and would make a Haligonian chuckle. The crane at the Wingate Hotel project in Dieppe for example is a mini tower crane. The crane at the GDH is just a large mobile crane.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11442  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 2:46 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Exciting times yes, but don't count your cranes before they're hatched.....

Some of these cranes will be underwhelming too, and would make a Haligonian chuckle. The crane at the Wingate Hotel project in Dieppe for example is a mini tower crane. The crane at the GDH is just a large mobile crane.
Yes very exciting times. And I realize some of them are underwhelming, but some of them will be much bigger too.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11443  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:29 PM
tmacdougall tmacdougall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 247
Buzzlocal.tv

Sounds like Mayor Arnold will be joining Eric Gingles on Buzzlocal.tv for weekly council updates.

http://buzzlocal.tv/mrd
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11444  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:45 PM
mctnguy mctnguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 127
Drone footage of RibFest and Atlanticade

Here's some Drone footage of Downtown Moncton / Rib Fest / Atlanticade

• Video Link

Last edited by mctnguy; Jun 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM. Reason: I don't know how to use the Youtube tags!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11445  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:38 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,304
Fireworks over Moncton - Canada Day 2016


Times & Transcript photo
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11446  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 2:32 AM
BlackYear's Avatar
BlackYear BlackYear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,285
That's a nice shot above.

Here's my view below.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11447  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 12:06 PM
benvui's Avatar
benvui benvui is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shediac
Posts: 398
Does anyone else think it is time for Moncton to get it's on forum like Halifax and St. John's? I'm finding it harder and harder to find the threads I want and not to mention anyone else looking for a thread other than a Moncton one must be getting frustrated as they keep dropping off the page. I don't know if at this point it would be possible or not, but I thought I would float the idea to make things a little easier for everyone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11448  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 12:55 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Does anyone else think it is time for Moncton to get it's on forum like Halifax and St. John's? I'm finding it harder and harder to find the threads I want and not to mention anyone else looking for a thread other than a Moncton one must be getting frustrated as they keep dropping off the page. I don't know if at this point it would be possible or not, but I thought I would float the idea to make things a little easier for everyone.
IIRC when the Moncton thread (this one) cracked 10k, the Subforum idea was proposed. (It was just after Saint John's got its subforum I believe). At the time, it was felt there might not be enough traffic to warrant a full SSP like Halifax or even just a subforum like SJ's, so the [Moncton] thread tag in the main Atlantic forum was developed as an interim step.

A few years later now, I'm counting about 14 threads on the main page that are [Moncton] tagged, and the city is still growing strongly. Most of those threads have recent activity too. IMO, we're at the cusp of warranting a subforum like Saint John's; it may not be needed, but it could be useful.

On a slightly different topic that might be better for another thread. I rarely leave the Canadian sections of these boards, but are there any plans for a board-software upgrade in the future? I'm on other boards that are using the Xenoforo software, and it's functionality is really nice (especially compared to the software we're on right now). True thread tags for example, and thread prefixes are very nice, along with Alerts and such.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11449  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 12:45 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
Does anyone else think it is time for Moncton to get it's on forum like Halifax and St. John's? I'm finding it harder and harder to find the threads I want and not to mention anyone else looking for a thread other than a Moncton one must be getting frustrated as they keep dropping off the page. I don't know if at this point it would be possible or not, but I thought I would float the idea to make things a little easier for everyone.
I understand your frustrations benvui.

We had this discussion several years ago. SignalHillHiker had joined SSP several months before and had re-energized the St John's thread. When that section became more active, he began to agitate for a St. John's sub forum just like the forum that already existed for Halifax. Since the Moncton thread had also been pretty active for a number of years, we began to look at doing something similar for our city too.

The site administrators were only somewhat lukewarm in their support. They didn't like the idea of compartmentalizing the site too much. They felt this stifled interactions between forumers from different cities. They actually had a point. Most Halifax forumers tend to ignore the broader Atlantic Canada section, while within the Atlantic Canada section, contributors from Freddy, Saint John and Moncton will often interact and make comments on threads from other cities in the province.

If you look at SSP in general, there are only eleven cities in Canada which have their own sub forum. St. John's is by far the smallest of these. It's the 20th largest CMA in Canada. Moncton is the 29th largest CMA in the country. This makes it hard to justify a sub forum for us.

The SSP section that most closely parallels the Atlantic Canada section is the Manitoba/Saskatchewan section. If you look at that section, it is composed of a jumble of threads mostly from Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina. Yes, even Winnipeg doesn't have it's own sub forum and it's a city of over 800,000.

I think as long as we are diligent about the rules and preface each new thread with [Moncton], [Fredericton], [Saint John] or whatever other regional appellation is appropriate, we can probably keep things straight.

The only suggestion I might make would be to make the major threads from each city a "sticky" so that they stay at the top of the listing of threads and never fall off the page. For Moncton, I would include all of the "neighbourhood" threads and the "retail" thread in this category. The project specific threads, like for MH35 or the events centre on the other hand would be allowed to float down the list depending on their popularity. This might be a fair compromise.

It would be interesting to get a mods opinion on this - Myles, Greg???
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11450  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:10 PM
benvui's Avatar
benvui benvui is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shediac
Posts: 398
That is a good point about the interaction. I just wish that you could go to the next page of the threads so even if they drop off they are easy to find again. I like the idea of putting sticky's on the neighborhood threads for all the major city's and letting the project ones float as they are the ones that will die off eventually anyway. I thought there might be a reason why we didn't go with our on forum in the first place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11451  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:19 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
I'm not sure if stickying all the neighbourhood threads would work. It would be fine for now, but once Saint John and especially once the Freddy thread forks (Freddy thread's about 2k posts from the magic 10k mark whence we'll probably be ready to subdivide), that could become very unwieldy.

I can understand why we want to avoid splitting the community; but at the same time I don't think we want to make the first page of the Atlantic section all stickies.

If we had different board software, we could put actual city tags on threads, and then you could sort/view by tags. (So if all the Moncton threads were tagged by [moncton] and [New Brunswick] tags, you could click the tag and get all the Moncton or all the NB threads)


Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
That is a good point about the interaction. I just wish that you could go to the next page of the threads so even if they drop off they are easy to find again. I like the idea of putting sticky's on the neighborhood threads for all the major city's and letting the project ones float as they are the ones that will die off eventually anyway. I thought there might be a reason why we didn't go with our on forum in the first place.
What do you mean about not being able to go to the next page of threads? There's a page picker at the bottom of the thread list, just like there's a page picker at the bottom of the post pages. Is there a limitation in your browser maybe that hides that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11452  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:43 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,304


Indeed, under "display options" at the bottom of the page you can also choose to show all threads even from the very beginning if you want. The default is 100 days, but this is customizable. This is how you can find an old thread and then "bump" or resurrect it.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11453  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:52 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
to get a mods opinion on this - Myles, Greg???
I was very much against changing formats the last time this came up and I still am for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It would only serve to split the community and I really value the variety of input from a bigger pool of contributors.

Personally I don't really like creating threads for individual projects unless they're really significant - i.e. the Events Centre. Even then, my view would be that the EC thread should encompass related developments as well. A new thread for each project of significance gets out of hand really quickly. It's better to have a few frequently updated threads than many that are only occasionally updated. We got away from one huge Moncton thread because it was hard to keep up with the 40 new posts per day. It'll probably be 8 months before anything else gets posted on the 55 Queen page.

At the end of the day, the goals are usability and accessibility. I don't really care how things get structured so long as the community feels that this section of the site 'works' in a way that is in line with those goals.
__________________
"When you go home tonight, there's gonna be another story on your house! "
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11454  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:31 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
ハルウララ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,853
At the current time I can't see there being enough reason for there to be a Moncton subforum. St. John's got theirs because they were seeing a large influx of traffic and projects (most of which have dried up with their economy/have been completed) as well as it serving as a general Newfoundland subforum. Moncton is going through a development boom right now, which is good, but unless there's a serious trend in Moncton gaining a lot of traffic on this forum and in large-scale development projects I can't see it happening at the present time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11455  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 1:44 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,304
More colour for the page:

City Hall Plaza from the roof of Moncton City Hall.


from Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page

This will look even more urban in 10 years time if a couple of 6-10 storey building get built along Downing Street.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11456  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:48 PM
habs33's Avatar
habs33 habs33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 644
Eastlink Wireless expanding to Moncton https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/47757470/?nopromo=1
Quote:
Eastlink Wireless is expanding into New Brunswick, with the Metro Moncton area first to receive access to the company’s LTE cellular network.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11457  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 2:16 PM
habs33's Avatar
habs33 habs33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 644
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11458  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:16 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canad...ton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760

Reading this, I think the blame should be all on the company Parking Solutions inc. they should be installing proper gates etc. On their private lots, or hiring someone, security etc. to sit at the entrance to the lot only accepting people who have proper passes etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11459  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:30 PM
Taeolas Taeolas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760

Reading this, I think the blame should be all on the company Parking Solutions inc. they should be installing proper gates etc. On their private lots, or hiring someone, security etc. to sit at the entrance to the lot only accepting people who have proper passes etc.
Yeah, instead of installing bigger signs, install a gate system would make more sense. But of course that would cost parking solutions (or the owners) money... both in the cost of the gates AND the loss of income from not being able to boot wayward parkers.

The idea of forcing private lots to be gated is a good one IMO. Then it's obvious when a lot is closed, open, and/or free. Even the free lots it might be worth it to install gates; maybe manual ones that are left open 90% of the time, but could have someone manning them during Events to collect parking fees and what not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11460  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 7:58 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore
http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canad...ton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760

Reading this, I think the blame should be all on the company Parking Solutions inc. they should be installing proper gates etc. On their private lots, or hiring someone, security etc. to sit at the entrance to the lot only accepting people who have proper passes etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah, instead of installing bigger signs, install a gate system would make more sense. But of course that would cost parking solutions (or the owners) money... both in the cost of the gates AND the loss of income from not being able to boot wayward parkers.

The idea of forcing private lots to be gated is a good one IMO. Then it's obvious when a lot is closed, open, and/or free. Even the free lots it might be worth it to install gates; maybe manual ones that are left open 90% of the time, but could have someone manning them during Events to collect parking fees and what not.
I do agree but the city, the company Parking Solutions inc., and private parking lot owners would have to do a 180 on there thinking of the issues, and solutions.

Most owners din't seem to want to add gates after the issue with the private parking lot that has entrances/exits at St George, Lutz, and Archibald. Someone had supposedly damaged the gate on Lutz with there vehicle (Took out the gate out completely).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.