HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4801  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:49 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
So on a percapita basis YVR sees the most international widebodies per person, next is YYZ, then YUL and YYC is a distant fourth.
If you add domestic widebodies (therefore total widebodies), YVR's count probably goes down. A lot of heavies do YYZ-YUL-YYZ in the summer.
     
     
  #4802  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:09 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
Can you provide your input numbers- the values seem questionable. YYZ metro is 5x YYC, so your numbers would suggest 10x the daily wide body count for YYZ over YYC. I question whether YYZ has 80+ wide body landings a day?
Here are the charts I used. Notably I pulled out all the narrowbody jets like Aeromexico and Wow air etc...









Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
If you add domestic widebodies (therefore total widebodies), YVR's count probably goes down. A lot of heavies do YYZ-YUL-YYZ in the summer.
It actually skews even higher for YVR in that case. YVR sees 8 heavies to YYZ a day including 3 777s and 3 dreamliners, 2 to YUL, plus the 767 to LAS and the 788 to Newark put YVR at 12 total 'domestic' widebodies.

YUL only sees 4 to YYZ and 2 to YVR all of which are 330s or 767s.
     
     
  #4803  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:29 AM
Canadian74 Canadian74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 710
Since you're including US in domestic, there's also HNL and OGG from YVR
     
     
  #4804  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 9:59 PM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 604
Wow, I Knew YYZ was Canada's busiest, but those numbers put it squarely in the realm of a global hub.
Thanks for posting.
YUL is very much Europe, and YVR is very much Asia (not surprising). YYZ has high levels of services to all points.

Last edited by PPAR; Jul 10, 2016 at 10:18 PM.
     
     
  #4805  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 8:21 PM
tmjr tmjr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 122
Perhaps of interest here...

WestJet's expensive London misadventure (CBC)
Quote:
WestJet flights to London prompting a wave of complaints and compensation; delays and cancellations are plaguing the airline's routes to London, England.
     
     
  #4806  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 9:01 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
Wow, I Knew YYZ was Canada's busiest, but those numbers put it squarely in the realm of a global hub.
Thanks for posting.
YUL is very much Europe, and YVR is very much Asia (not surprising). YYZ has high levels of services to all points.
Yes YYZ may not look impressive in PAX comparisons to other North American airports (similar to Logan or Sea-Tac) but it's international service is quite impresive.

While I'm in here does anyone have a pic of the Hainan 332 in YYC? I thought I'd see a picture or two posted here by now!
     
     
  #4807  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 9:16 PM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Here are the charts I used. Notably I pulled out all the narrowbody jets like Aeromexico and Wow air etc...











It actually skews even higher for YVR in that case. YVR sees 8 heavies to YYZ a day including 3 777s and 3 dreamliners, 2 to YUL, plus the 767 to LAS and the 788 to Newark put YVR at 12 total 'domestic' widebodies.

YUL only sees 4 to YYZ and 2 to YVR all of which are 330s or 767s.
CX flies 12/week to HKG from YYZ, not 14. It's not a full doubly daily
     
     
  #4808  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 9:50 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
While I'm in here does anyone have a pic of the Hainan 332 in YYC? I thought I'd see a picture or two posted here by now!
I am sure you are looking for something more closeup, but here is my contribution nonetheless.
Beautiful Bird.



     
     
  #4809  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 10:19 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
I am sure you are looking for something more closeup, but here is my contribution nonetheless.
Beautiful Bird.
Woulda been nice but that splash of colour really sticks out among all the Westjet tails. Thanks!
     
     
  #4810  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 10:28 PM
Canadian74 Canadian74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Woulda been nice but that splash of colour really sticks out among all the Westjet tails. Thanks!
There are quite a few in the Calgary Airport flickr group.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/358476@N21/pool/
     
     
  #4811  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:25 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Caught a Qatar Airways Cargo 777 landing this morning just after 7. Another great looking bird.

Is this a (semi) regularly scheduled cargo route or just a one off? I remember seeing it/them last summer (or was it the summer before?) too.
     
     
  #4812  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:45 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
While I'm in here does anyone have a pic of the Hainan 332 in YYC? I thought I'd see a picture or two posted here by now!
From Flickr:


Hainan Airlines - B-6116: Airbus A330-243
by GreatCoinz, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
Caught a Qatar Airways Cargo 777 landing this morning just after 7. Another great looking bird.

Is this a (semi) regularly scheduled cargo route or just a one off? I remember seeing it/them last summer (or was it the summer before?) too.
The Qatar Cargo flights are one-offs, and I believe the visits have been Spruce Meadows related.
     
     
  #4813  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:41 AM
Acey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
From Flickr
I know most people are excited for the 787 to replace it but man I love the 332. I just think they look utterly fantastic.
     
     
  #4814  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:48 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I know most people are excited for the 787 to replace it but man I love the 332. I just think they look utterly fantastic.
Well looks like you'll get to enjoy the 332 for a bit longer now. The switch to the 788 has been pushed back until 11 August now.

Also looks like 3 weekly will be maintained year-round (for now anyway) as the 4th weekly that was to be flown in October only has been pulled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airl...an-airlines-s16-calgary-service-changes/
     
     
  #4815  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:10 PM
McMurph McMurph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 468
I love the back half of the Hainan livery, but find the front a bit off. The font on the english name looks like a place-holder while they wait for a graphic designer to come up with something original.
     
     
  #4816  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:55 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
There are quite a few in the Calgary Airport flickr group.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/358476@N21/pool/
Thanks! Spent a while in there. Saw a few too many pics of that Omni International 767! for WestJet's liking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Well looks like you'll get to enjoy the 332 for a bit longer now. The switch to the 788 has been pushed back until 11 August now.

Also looks like 3 weekly will be maintained year-round (for now anyway) as the 4th weekly that was to be flown in October only has been pulled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airl...an-airlines-s16-calgary-service-changes/
Hmm that's not a great sign that they are pushing out the 787 and cutting the 4th frequency just weeks into the flight.
     
     
  #4817  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:04 PM
Rat Rat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Calgary
Posts: 48
That A330 looks great in the Hainan colors and speaking of great liveries, I think my favorite livery right now is the red nosed Edelweiss. I was watching one coming in pretty low on the weekend so I pulled over near Blackfoot/Deerfoot to get a better view.
     
     
  #4818  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 6:41 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Saw the Qatar 777 this morning but it was too far away to identify other than I could see it was a widebody, I assumed it was just the regular UPS arrival.

Hainan looks nice, and nothing like the pictures in the Herald and on the CBC website which had nice photos of a 737 and an A340. Could they put in any less effort when doing a story?
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
     
     
  #4819  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:01 PM
outoftheice outoftheice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 914
Georgian had the nose gear collapse on one of its 1900s this morning.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news...landing-at-calgary-international-airport
     
     
  #4820  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 7:48 PM
Vercingetorix's Avatar
Vercingetorix Vercingetorix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 363
Question for you Aviation nerds. Is using Siri to check airplanes in the sky reliable? The last two times I've used it, a flight that went right past me wasn't in the list. For example today I saw KLM flying by, but it wasn't in list of flights when I asked siri 'planes overhead'

Is this only reliable for flights high up and not for take off/landing?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.