HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9941  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:00 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtoval View Post
It's tragic because it is demolition by neglect. I understand the property rights issue and I'm not saying it is economic to rehabilitate the house. But it is a unique piece of architecture that will be lost. I can understand why the neighbors want to protect it.
"Demolition by neglect" doesn't really apply to something that someone can demolish without any impediments whatsoever. The owner could send in a bulldozer tomorrow if they wanted to, and no one could stop it. This isn't a protected heritage building that a sleazy owner is trying to surreptitiously take down illegally by letting it go to seed until it reaches the point of no return.
     
     
  #9942  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:01 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Just to Clarify, Number10 Architecture, is directly involved in the St Mary Road proposal?
I would like to know this too.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #9943  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:13 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
Appears they are. The logo was on the renderings for the City meetings.
     
     
  #9944  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:20 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Thanks, Biff.
So, what's the trick? I used the IMG tags, a public Flckr post. FAQ was no help...

I'm no pro but i used the [img] [/img] and placed the info https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7015/27463400162_15feb03683_b.jpg between them.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
     
     
  #9945  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:33 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Appears they are. The logo was on the renderings for the City meetings.
Hence the faux outrage.

I would side with the people that live in the community as to what they want as opposed to someone looking to make a quick buck.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #9946  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:34 PM
emeraldeyes's Avatar
emeraldeyes emeraldeyes is offline
Aspiring.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 192
     
     
  #9947  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:34 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm no pro but i used the [img] [/img] and placed the info https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7015/27463400162_15feb03683_b.jpg between them.
Looking at your original post grump, it looks like you put the photo's page in the img tags instead of the actual image itself. I can't blame you, as flickr seems to like making it tricky to embed photos... I guess they want you to click on the link and visit their site instead.

There are other image hosting sites that are better for that sort of remote hosting... I use imgur out of habit, but there are others which are probably even better.
     
     
  #9948  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:35 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Hence the faux outrage.

I would side with the people that live in the community as to what they want as opposed to someone looking to make a quick buck.
I have no skin in this game whatsoever and I'd side with the developer. I mean, I think the house is neat and I'd like to see it redeveloped, but I just don't see much likelihood of that happening given the location.

Would you put $100K or $150K of your own money into fixing up that house?
     
     
  #9949  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:39 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
No I would not but that's not the point. The residents don't want commercial development on that stretch. And you don't live there.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #9950  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:49 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Hence the faux outrage.

I would side with the people that live in the community as to what they want as opposed to someone looking to make a quick buck.
I'm of the opinion that a business willing to set up shop, in a building that looks just like all the houses around it, is not looking to make a quick buck. If the neighbourhood would rather have an ugly dump sitting there rotting, okay. Then what happens when the owners tear the house down and leave an empty lot? Or when the owner proposes an apartment block?

The consultant brought in is simply being paid by it's client, to do what the client wants. Number 10 get's it fees either way, just like the Fortress devil we've all been talking about. That's how consulting works.

Seems silly there is such outrage over one lot on a very busy road.
     
     
  #9951  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 4:52 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
This is like the outrage for a pawn shop on Henderson and Hespler. Neighbourhood is up in arms because it will draw in all the scum. The same scum that already lives in the area. C'mon people. Instead leave an empty building to rot.
     
     
  #9952  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:04 PM
emeraldeyes's Avatar
emeraldeyes emeraldeyes is offline
Aspiring.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This is like the outrage for a pawn shop on Henderson and Hespler. Neighbourhood is up in arms because it will draw in all the scum. The same scum that already lives in the area. C'mon people. Instead leave an empty building to rot.
I believe the outraged residents won that appeal, didn't they?

That area of Henderson does not need any more additional disadvantages. As someone who happens to live a little way up the road, I can tell you that since the payday loan/chq cashing joints entered the neighbourhood it has declined steadily. A pawn shop would only exacerbate the problem.
     
     
  #9953  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:05 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtoval View Post
It's tragic because it is demolition by neglect. I understand the property rights issue and I'm not saying it is economic to rehabilitate the house. But it is a unique piece of architecture that will be lost. I can understand why the neighbors want to protect it.
The neighbours don't want to protect the house.

They just want to stop something other than a single family residential dwelling to be built on the property.
     
     
  #9954  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:11 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This is like the outrage for a pawn shop on Henderson and Hespler. Neighbourhood is up in arms because it will draw in all the scum. The same scum that already lives in the area. C'mon people. Instead leave an empty building to rot.
You obviously know nothing about the area. Glenelm, the neighbourhood you are disparaging, is one of the nicest urban communities in the city.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #9955  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:12 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
I believe the outraged residents won that appeal, didn't they?
Yes we did.
__________________
Get off my lawn.
     
     
  #9956  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:14 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
You obviously know nothing about the area. Glenelm, the neighbourhood you are disparaging, is one of the nicest urban communities in the city.
East of Henderson, not so much. Glenelm is nice, you are right. No disrespect intended there.
     
     
  #9957  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:25 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
That area of Henderson does not need any more additional disadvantages. As someone who happens to live a little way up the road, I can tell you that since the payday loan/chq cashing joints entered the neighbourhood it has declined steadily. A pawn shop would only exacerbate the problem.
Aren't the payday loan places merely a symptom rather than a cause of a neighbourhood's decline?
     
     
  #9958  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:31 PM
emeraldeyes's Avatar
emeraldeyes emeraldeyes is offline
Aspiring.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 192
I suppose it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, but we lived on Hart AVE for 7+ years then moved up Henderson to the other side of the park and have been there for almost 13 years.
There were always bad apples certainly, but it's definitely worsened since the Robin's became a loan place and since Money Mart took up residence not far from there.
     
     
  #9959  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:32 PM
emeraldeyes's Avatar
emeraldeyes emeraldeyes is offline
Aspiring.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
You obviously know nothing about the area. Glenelm, the neighbourhood you are disparaging, is one of the nicest urban communities in the city.
And yes, Glenelm is lovely.
     
     
  #9960  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:41 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
I don't think it's gotten worse because of the payday loans places. They are in that area because that's where they're most popular.

Over that 20 year span, demographics continue to change. Like I said, east of Henderson, property values are quite low. A lot of homes are hovering around $120k mark. Making it affordable for lower income families to move in. Nevermind the Manitoba Housing properties. Payday loans are quite "popular" among lower income people. That's how things go.. Tattoo parlours, head shops, pawn shops come with it. I'd love that area to flourish and be vibrant. But with the situation that exists, its a tough sell. Probably way off topic here for the construction thread..
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.