HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3101  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:41 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
I mean, it's 7 LANES wide north of Airport. Seven! Why?!
Presumably because of Airport dead-ending there. It's basically channeling both Lamar and Airport traffic up to 183.

Looking at
http://www.austintexas.gov/GIS/CAMPOInteractiveMap/

Lamar south of Airport has a daily count of 32k. Airport at Lamar has 19k. Lamar at Morrow has 42k (where the other 9 k went I'm not sure).

I'm not sure what the standard is and if a lane would be approved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3102  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:21 PM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Presumably because of Airport dead-ending there. It's basically channeling both Lamar and Airport traffic up to 183.

Looking at
http://www.austintexas.gov/GIS/CAMPOInteractiveMap/

Lamar south of Airport has a daily count of 32k. Airport at Lamar has 19k. Lamar at Morrow has 42k (where the other 9 k went I'm not sure).

I'm not sure what the standard is and if a lane would be approved.
Some of the Lamar traffic south of Airport comes from Airport and some of the Airport traffic comes from Lamar south of Airport. That's where that missing 9K got distributed around to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3103  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:11 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Some of the Lamar traffic south of Airport comes from Airport and some of the Airport traffic comes from Lamar south of Airport. That's where that missing 9K got distributed around to.
Right, it's gotta be. In my head I was thinking "why drive north on Lamar to go south on airport and vice versa", but it must be faster than the "shortcut".

The critical question is what does traffic engineering say for a count of 42k, and does the "standard" preclude 5 lanes for that. That's significantly above the 5 lane section of Burnet, for instance (of course there's induced demand and such, but many pretend that doesn't exist).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3104  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:16 PM
jbssfelix's Avatar
jbssfelix jbssfelix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Park
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Presumably because of Airport dead-ending there. It's basically channeling both Lamar and Airport traffic up to 183.
Which still doesn't make sense, since only the far right lane (going NB) actually connects to 183. That's 2.5 other NB lanes that get much less traffic. And while that one lane does back up some during rush hour (and could use a redesign to help flow traffic appropriately, but then again so could that whole Anderson/Research/Lamar/183 disaster of an intersection), traffic flows pretty smoothly through there (assuming the Red Line false alarms aren't too frequent)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3105  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:29 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Which still doesn't make sense, since only the far right lane (going NB) actually connects to 183. That's 2.5 other NB lanes that get much less traffic. And while that one lane does back up some during rush hour (and could use a redesign to help flow traffic appropriately, but then again so could that whole Anderson/Research/Lamar/183 disaster of an intersection), traffic flows pretty smoothly through there (assuming the Red Line false alarms aren't too frequent)
I wouldn't say "much less traffic". Lamar immediately north of 183 is back down to 32k, which seems pretty standard for the 5 lane profile (Lamar south of Airport, Burnet road, etc.)

It flows smoothly now, but might not flow smoothly if reduced to 5 lanes.


To be clear, I'm all for reducing lanes (and allocating it to transit, sidewalks, what have you) but I recognize that not everyone agrees (especially outdated traffic engineering practices designed to increase/maintain Level of Service at all costs).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3106  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:49 PM
urbancore urbancore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zilker
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
To be clear, I'm all for reducing lanes (and allocating it to transit, sidewalks, what have you) but I recognize that not everyone agrees (especially outdated traffic engineering practices designed to increase/maintain Level of Service at all costs).
werd
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3107  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:16 PM
lzppjb's Avatar
lzppjb lzppjb is offline
7th Gen Central Texan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 3,150
It feels like this is turning into the Transportation thread. There's a reason I try to stay out of there for the most part.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3108  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:59 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It feels like this is turning into the Transportation thread. There's a reason I try to stay out of there for the most part.
Hehe, I thought I was routed to the Transportation thread by mistake until I scrolled back to the top and saw I was on the Austin update thread. I've driven (npi) many a thread off course, so no right to complain by me, but, I tend to avoid the trans. page because I usually don't have the intelligence to keep up with the posts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3109  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 12:16 AM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Transportation's pretty much just for wonks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3110  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 12:56 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Transportation's pretty much just for wonks.
See, that's my point, I had to look up wonks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3111  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 4:47 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
I'd like to make a motion: Can the back and forth between any particular two members of the forum at any particular time be done in messaging rather than on the forum itself? I get that some discussions will happen (and they should), but if you're essentially chatting with someone in real time, it's a bit much at times for others to sift through it all to get to any real content or news. This is especially true when it becomes more of an argument than a discussion.

I'd say this wouldn't need to be a rule as much as a common courtesy to other folks. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3112  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 1:26 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'd like to make a motion: Can the back and forth between any particular two members of the forum at any particular time be done in messaging rather than on the forum itself? I get that some discussions will happen (and they should), but if you're essentially chatting with someone in real time, it's a bit much at times for others to sift through it all to get to any real content or news. This is especially true when it becomes more of an argument than a discussion.

I'd say this wouldn't need to be a rule as much as a common courtesy to other folks. Just my two cents.
I wouldn't get into arguments if people would stop posting blatantly false statements

Okay, I'll try. But it's a fine line of when a discussion reaches that point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3113  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 1:39 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'd like to make a motion: Can the back and forth between any particular two members of the forum at any particular time be done in messaging rather than on the forum itself? I get that some discussions will happen (and they should), but if you're essentially chatting with someone in real time, it's a bit much at times for others to sift through it all to get to any real content or news. This is especially true when it becomes more of an argument than a discussion.

I'd say this wouldn't need to be a rule as much as a common courtesy to other folks. Just my two cents.
You mean what I just did?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3114  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 5:26 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I'd like to make a motion: Can the back and forth between any particular two members of the forum at any particular time be done in messaging rather than on the forum itself? I get that some discussions will happen (and they should), but if you're essentially chatting with someone in real time, it's a bit much at times for others to sift through it all to get to any real content or news. This is especially true when it becomes more of an argument than a discussion.

I'd say this wouldn't need to be a rule as much as a common courtesy to other folks. Just my two cents.
OMG... yes please!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3115  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 8:32 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
I don't have a problem when debates start up as long as they stay debates. Anyone can chime in if they so choose but I agree once it becomes 1 on 1 then either continue in private messaging or just agree to disagree. Usually if I feel something I say will pull me into a long drawn out — for tat then I just don't respond and move on to something else.

Regarding VMUs on South Lamar and specifically pedestrian walkways, I have noticed that it's become a patchwork. Each VMU has nice wide sidewalks but some have shade trees planted and others do not. Also once your done walking in front of a VMU the sidewalk either shrinks back to the typical small neighborhood sized slabs or disappears all together. It would be nice if the city could expand the great streets program though on a less grand scale to what they are doing DT and bring more cohesive sidewalks along the major thoroughfares, at the very least make sure the sidewalks connect rather than one stretch of sidewalk and the next grass.

This particular subject may be more suited to the transportation thread so feel free to respond there if anyone wants to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3116  
Old Posted May 21, 2016, 1:03 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Site plan for the Music Lane hotel at 1011-1123 South Congress.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/AULC...South%20Congress%20Mixed%20Use_PLANS.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3117  
Old Posted May 21, 2016, 2:11 AM
Tech House Tech House is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
He's not wrong about this one. It is ripe for development, but also it's a huge honker of a road and needs a serious diet asap. I mean, it's 7 LANES wide north of Airport. Seven! Why?!
Because it needs to be. I drive that section of road quite frequently and have never thought it suffered from a glut of lanes. Bear in mind that 3 of those lanes are mostly devoted to traffic going to and from other major roads, such as Airport, Anderson, and 183.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3118  
Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:06 AM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is offline
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,624
Preliminary designs for upcoming office building developments at the Domain. Domain 10, 11 and 12 look to be around 13-14 floors.

http://domainofficesaustin.com/
http://domainofficesaustin.com/assets/fi...nder-Construction-Oblique-Rendering1.pdf

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3119  
Old Posted May 21, 2016, 7:12 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
^ Looks great! That's a lot of office development. Thanks for sharing the rendering.

Now if we can just get that development to cross Burnet and build over IBM's massive parking lots...

Also, what are the plans (if there are any) for the surface lots around the older IBM building at Domain Dr. and Braker?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3120  
Old Posted May 21, 2016, 5:47 PM
jbssfelix's Avatar
jbssfelix jbssfelix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Park
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^ Looks great! That's a lot of office development. Thanks for sharing the rendering.

Now if we can just get that development to cross Burnet and build over IBM's massive parking lots...

Also, what are the plans (if there are any) for the surface lots around the older IBM building at Domain Dr. and Braker?
If you look closely, it looks like Domain 8 is already trying to cross Burnet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.