HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:44 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Whoah. Real mixed use? weird.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:03 PM
AndyMEng AndyMEng is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Whoah. Real mixed use? weird.
I think it looks great! Can't wait to see this go up across the street from my apartment, its been a long time coming!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:19 PM
ortelius ortelius is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 89
I saw the sales centre on Elgin closed. Any word on that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:09 PM
m0nkyman m0nkyman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
I saw the sales centre on Elgin closed. Any word on that?
Residential sales did not go well. They are planning on resubmitting without residential as an office only development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted May 18, 2016, 10:10 PM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Residential sales did not go well. They are planning on resubmitting without residential as an office only development.
Any idea why? Is there no more demand for Condos in Centretown or was it because the building wasn't attractive enough?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 8:18 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,828
Wasn't this one "luxury" with very high price tags?

I'm guessing that's the issue... prices too high, at least for the location probably. Most people shelling out this kind of money probably want something a little more "pretty", like Westboro or Dow's Lake...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:20 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Wasn't this one "luxury" with very high price tags?

I'm guessing that's the issue... prices too high, at least for the location probably. Most people shelling out this kind of money probably want something a little more "pretty", like Westboro or Dow's Lake...
High end units at that location would seem a bit of a disconnect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:54 PM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,260
Couldn't it work as rentals? I imagine that'll be easier to fill than an office building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 12:16 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Interesting rumblings about office space... I wonder if CENX is behind it.

Ever heard of CENX? They're a tech company (very specifically, they do virtualization work for telcos, if anyone here knows what that means ). I only just heard about them last week and they're about to become the new Shopify. They're a small company that is rapidly expanding having just gotten a series of key contracts. As a result they're hiring like mad and their existing offices, located a hop, skip, and a jump away from the site, at Bank & Cooper, are running out of room. They're committed to remaining downtown (they recently refused an offer to rent space in Kanata after their mostly downtown-based staff loudly protested), so I wonder if they're poking around at Joyce House now.
__________________
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:39 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Whoah. Real mixed use? weird.
We should have known that it was too good to be true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 4:10 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
We should have known that it was too good to be true.
Why do people keep taking my snarky ironic posts as prophecy? I gave no such instructions!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 7:09 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Why do people keep taking my snarky ironic posts as prophecy? I gave no such instructions!
If you have a gift, embrace it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted May 30, 2016, 4:08 PM
Mille Sabords's Avatar
Mille Sabords Mille Sabords is offline
Elle est déjà vide!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Big Bad Ottawa
Posts: 2,083
What I would like is to see this building built, with exactly the architecture we've been seeing in the renderings, and retail uses at grade - regardless of whether the upper floors are office or residential. As a residential building, I agree with those who say they priced the apartments way too high. I don't want to say that the location was wrong - it isn't, and at a mid-range price bracket I think this would've sold without much problem. Rather, I think it's the high-end market that is very soft all around. Lots of taller condo projects are still sitting on their most expensive penthouses. Joyce House was priced as if they were all penthouses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:45 PM
Jayday23 Jayday23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 357
I understand that this one died.. but i'm not sure how. Anyone got any insight?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:53 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
I pass by everyday. Sign is still there. I think the lot and project are for sale, but I'm not sure. I'll have to double check tonight.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:16 PM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Are there any murmurings about if this project will continue or something to replace it soon? It's a shame that such a prominent location is just a hole in the ground like that building on Bay Street had been. Someone should hurry up this project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:22 PM
MattRichling's Avatar
MattRichling MattRichling is offline
Kickass User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 176
I would love to see a quality project on that corner. Often hear comments about how that section of bank feels kinda dumpy.

I wish there was an upvote/like button for posts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Why do people keep taking my snarky ironic posts as prophecy? I gave no such instructions!
__________________
Matt Richling
Salesperson / Team Lead
New Purveyors Brokered by RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Group,

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:43 PM
Urbanarchit Urbanarchit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRichling View Post
I would love to see a quality project on that corner. Often hear comments about how that section of bank feels kinda dumpy.

I wish there was an upvote/like button for posts...
Best I can do for you is +1. I agree that this section feels dumpy (though a lot of Bank Street in Centretown could use some fixing-up). I feel that this section of Bank is the heart of Centretown's commercial district, and should be much better than what it is now.

If they could get some sort of good building built on this corner and some of the parking lots off and on Bank, and fix up some of the older buildings, this could be quite a nice shopping street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:06 PM
UrbOttawa UrbOttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
If they could get some sort of good building built on this corner and some of the parking lots off and on Bank, and fix up some of the older buildings, this could be quite a nice shopping street.
I definitely agree. They did a great job refreshing the imperial building at the corner of Bank and Cooper. I found it interesting how much of an impact that one building made to giving that stretch of Bank a more modern feel.

Last edited by UrbOttawa; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.