Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P.
They are worshippers at the altar of Toderian, Keesmaat and Florida, where a cafe on every corner linked by a string of boutiques and galleries is seen as the "1000 virgins" ultimate reward for all neighborhoods. 
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey
I can only speak for myself, but I just hate to see nearly a block of land in a fast-developing area simply paved over for such a mundane use. I don't care about the existing homes, but about the opportunity lost of building something more useful and / or exciting there.
|
I don't think anybody (Rob Steele included) thinks a car lot is the optimal use of that land. For him, it fills a need for his newly acquired dealership and provides him quite an attractive real estate investment. For the citizens of Halifax, it presents a unique opportunity to work with Steele to increase the Robie St ROW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain
A word about the hypothetical Robie Street expansion: there's literally not one building of architectural value between Almon and North on the west side of the street. And below St. Albans there's not even anything, at all, within ten or fifteen feet of the curb. It's all set way back with parking lots fronting Robie.
We can widen the road on that side (if we must) with far less disruption to residents, and far less loss of urban vitality.
|
Although widening to the west would be ideal in terms of alignment at the Robie/Almon intersection, I think it's a stretch to say there would be far less disruption. As things stand now, about 50% of the frontage from Almon to North is occupied by Bloomfield/Colonial. Including the recently acquired buildings, looks like there will be about 4 other buildings and a parking lot along this almost half a kilometre stretch. 4 buildings! That is an amazing opportunity in a city this size and in this stage of development.
On the other hand, I count around 14 separate buildings, probably all owned by different people that would be affected either directly or indirectly by widening on the west side.
Bottom line is--this is such a no brainer that surely city/province/Steele have been discussing it for months and we'll hear something about it soon to mitigate some of the negative press from what is likely the vocal minority.