HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11281  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:57 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,357
I get great service with Comcast. I know it's "cool" to hate comcast because ya know Google and reddit told the herd what to think, but they really do blow other telecommunications company out of the water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11282  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:57 PM
VikingDutchman VikingDutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
That would be disastrous for Philadelphia's economy and really weird thing for any Philadelphian to hope for.
Got to balance what's good for Philadelphia with what's good for the country. To take a (certainly more extreme) example: banning Asbestos in Canada was bad for the towns that relied on Asbestos mining at the time, but ultimately I think we can all agree it was for the best.

I'm exaggerating for effect when I say the government should be "tear comcast apart," but I would certainly like to see a much much more aggressive treatment of the area by regulators, which would all but inevitably hurt Comcast, including the government forcing Comcast to pick and choose between what businesses it wants to be in, instead of growing all over the ecosystem. So perhaps "trim Comcast down" would be more appropriate?

A healthier telecommunications infrastructure and media ecosystem would be to the benefit of all Americans, including Philadelphians, even if it put the kibosh on a third Comcast tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11283  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:03 PM
VikingDutchman VikingDutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I get great service with Comcast. I know it's "cool" to hate comcast because ya know Google and reddit told the herd what to think, but they really do blow other telecommunications company out of the water.

Yep. All group think. Absolutely no legitimate issues with the country that tops or near-tops consumer advocacy lists of the worst companies in America every year, stunts our infrastructure development, aggressively engages in anti-competitive industry practices, and constantly pours money down the throats of politicians in an attempt to skew all possible elements of government policy to its favor (with thankfully, mixed success in recent years).

Give me a break.

If your standard is that Comcast is better than other cable companies, then that may well be true. Personally as an adult I've never been in a position to have any other cable provider, so I wouldn't know. But given the entire cable company industry in the US is a nightmare, that's not much of a hurdle. And of course for many, perhaps even most Comcast customers, who have no choice in their service, you might as well be arguing about which Chinese Restaurant on Mars is best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11284  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:09 PM
Outta here's Avatar
Outta here Outta here is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 1060 W. Addison
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I think it's pretty clear that Liberty is amassing property across the street (diagonally) from the CITC. I guess it depends on what this fellow means by "planned." I think it's probably like planning to get married "someday," but you haven't proposed yet, let alone set a date.


" Knight " Thank you for posting that statement . To each their own but , rumors are just that , and making noise about
a third Comcast tower is about as " Dream World " as getting excited over capping the rail yard some 40 years down the
road . Christ , if I were to live that long , I'd probably need someone to help me wipe my — .
My same feelings apply to the Schuylkill Yards proposal that may or may not bless the skyline some 25 years from now .
— , progress ( or the lack there of ) can't even get the W hotel or 500 Walnut st. up out of the ground , let alone wooing
smoke and mirrors about projects that never got to fruition ........ Ring my bell when this fantasy becomes reality ...

Last edited by Outta here; Apr 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11285  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:33 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
Yep. All group think. Absolutely no legitimate issues with the country that tops or near-tops consumer advocacy lists of the worst companies in America every year, stunts our infrastructure development, aggressively engages in anti-competitive industry practices, and constantly pours money down the throats of politicians in an attempt to skew all possible elements of government policy to its favor (with thankfully, mixed success in recent years).

Give me a break.

You can believe what you want about the lobbying that all corporations do (Google far and away spends the most), but that infrastructure comment is a load of fooey. Idk what your profession is but you need to go back to networking 101 and examine comcast a actually position in the hierarchy of network infrastructure. Just remember too, 8/10 say they get good or statisfactroy service from them
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11286  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:34 PM
Elevator1 Elevator1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 135
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15413146/philadelphia-emerges-favorite-host-2017-nfl-draft

Philadelphia leading candidate to host NFL Draft in 2017. Another chance to shine in the National eye.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11287  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:42 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
I'm exaggerating for effect when I say the government should be "tear comcast apart," but I would certainly like to see a much much more aggressive treatment of the area by regulators, which would all but inevitably hurt Comcast, including the government forcing Comcast to pick and choose between what businesses it wants to be in, instead of growing all over the ecosystem. So perhaps "trim Comcast down" would be more appropriate?

A healthier telecommunications infrastructure and media ecosystem would be to the benefit of all Americans, including Philadelphians, even if it put the kibosh on a third Comcast tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11288  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:11 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15413146/philadelphia-emerges-favorite-host-2017-nfl-draft

Philadelphia leading candidate to host NFL Draft in 2017. Another chance to shine in the National eye.
Let's do it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11289  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:12 PM
VikingDutchman VikingDutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 99
Apparently I have found the densest concentration of Comcast fans (Comcast employees?) known to the universe.

Doesn't seem much point continuing on with this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11290  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:12 PM
eaglesfant37 eaglesfant37 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: MKE
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I get great service with Comcast. I know it's "cool" to hate comcast because ya know Google and reddit told the herd what to think, but they really do blow other telecommunications company out of the water.
I once hated Comcast to when I lived in PA, but now that I am in Milwaukee and have to use Time Warner or ATT, I would do anything to have Comcast back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11291  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 8:54 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
Apparently I have found the densest concentration of Comcast fans (Comcast employees?) known to the universe.

Doesn't seem much point continuing on with this.
Good, because it's off topic anyway. This is a skyscraper forum and of course we're all going to be enthusiastic about Comcast because they play a huge role in our city's economy and of course, our skyline. Discussion about Comcast's business practices, service, etc. are not relevant here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11292  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 9:19 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I think it's pretty clear that Liberty is amassing property across the street (diagonally) from the CITC. I guess it depends on what this fellow means by "planned." I think it's probably like planning to get married "someday," but you haven't proposed yet, let alone set a date.
but in this case its like getting a 3rd wife/husband; the template has already been laid out. If Comcast every needs to build another tower I'm sure the 'campus' idea makes sense. But if they asked me I'd tell them to build at 8th and Market. (Brain R, I await your call)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11293  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 9:34 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfant37 View Post
I once hated Comcast to when I lived in PA, but now that I am in Milwaukee and have to use Time Warner or ATT, I would do anything to have Comcast back.
My cable in Brooklyn is 3rd world. So yeah, Comcast is a lot better than it gets credit for being.

It's just cool to hate on cable companies. Everyone wants unlimited content but nobody wants to pay for it. Well guess what, all that — costs money. You want to pay the producers who make the content to continue making good content, then yeah, the revenue goes through the likes of Comcast, which means you gotta pay up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11294  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 11:35 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,805
I could write a book about how terrible my Comcast experiences have been over the many (many) years, and I am a simple customer and don't change packages often, etc. I cringe every time I have to deal with them because I know something crazy is going to happen and it's going to take a lot of my time to get it all straightened out. There is no denying what they do for the local economy but they deserve their poor reputation and they have a lot of work to do to shake that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11295  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 12:47 AM
mja mja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 522
I tend to think complaints about Comcast are always a bit over the top. I've been a customer my entire adult life. I've had essentially zero problems with the service. I've had a few problems with guys coming out to set up service at a new address or whatever, but nothing too major.

The biggest complaint I have is the pricing. They have a stranglehold on the market and they know it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11296  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:43 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
Φιλαδέλφεια
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,395
I think Comcast is better than fios.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11297  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 11:58 AM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
Doesn't seem much point continuing on with this.
That good to know. After comparing Comcast to asbestos, there aren't many places to go expect for maybe Hitler comparisons....maybe pedophiles? Glad we don't need to find out now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11298  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 12:40 PM
PhillySteaks PhillySteaks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 163
2016 Report

https://www.centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2016.pdf

"Downtown’s employers generate jobs that require a wide variety
of skills and education: 38% of Center City jobs require a BA,
30% are accessible to those with an associate degree, while
another 32% require no more than a high school diploma."


"Using 1970 as the baseline, New York’s employment is up 6.5%,
Boston's is up 16.2% and Washington, D.C.'s is up 19.7%. By
contrast, Philadelphia has 28% fewer jobs than it did in 1970
and is still 5% below 1990 levels."

58% of CC residents (185k total population) have BAs ~ 107k
38% of Jobs (287k total jobs) require BAs ~ 108k

It's almost a one for one relationship assuming full employment and everyone that has as degree is actually using it. Doesn't exactly bode well for wage growth, unemployed or underemployed people. There is also a fun little fact in there that 46% of downtown workers live OUTSIDE of Philadelphia. I don't need to do the math for you to figure out what number that equates to for people driving into the city - and people driving out of the city every single day just for work.

Last edited by PhillySteaks; Apr 28, 2016 at 1:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11299  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:42 PM
Tlphila Tlphila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 107
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11300  
Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:07 PM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15413146/philadelphia-emerges-favorite-host-2017-nfl-draft

Philadelphia leading candidate to host NFL Draft in 2017. Another chance to shine in the National eye.
And since the Eagles threw away all their picks next year, we won't have to worry about unruly fans perpetuating a stereotype.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:07 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.