Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker
Harper's top year of deficit was more or less double this year's federal government deficit.
|
Thanks for answering my (what I thought was a non-partisan math/history) question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker
Government debt isn't like household debt. It is a problem when you have too little or too much!
The GreenLine LRT will be 100% borrowed. WestLRT was paid for out of savings. The LRT extension to 162nd Ave was paid for out of in year cash flow.
Does it make a difference which is used? Not really.
As long as you are avoiding borrowing for operating costs on a cycle basis you're in the clear as you can always stop capital spending, and if you built useful things you can then sell them if you are truly screwed.
|
So I think I get what you are saying. Government is always going to be there, so as long as they can comfortably service the debt, it is okay to carry it. Not utilizing this capacity, we miss out on a lot of our ability for capital works. Over utilizing it, and we spend too much of our operating revenue just servicing the debt.
In terms of selling useful things, can you maybe provide some examples of what these might be? I am thinking power plants, utilities, etc... Even other buildings. But, a stadium might be tough, especially since the mindset seems to be that the Saddledome now has little value at the end of its life.
I guess it all boils down to (and has always been this question) of what is a government's responsibility to provide to the people? Most won't argue against basic necessities of life like clean water, but when you get into subjective entertainment options (arenas for pro-sports, the arts, etc...) it is a lot harder to get a clear direction.